For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: REV Gen 4 For the 2017 and newer REV Gen 4 Sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Currently: 2683 miles - 15-16
Devilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone with any honest recent Fox shock experience?

I bought a set of QS3 shocks for my 17 Summit. They were horrible. Softer than stock, they clunked when lifting the front end. I rode them once and got rid of them, never even messed with settings on the rear, the front was so bad. Anyone have any experience with the BRP sold Foxes? Need an opinion on the BRP versions, nobody who sells them, anyone who has ridden them and paid full price. I am planning on buying Freeride shocks for my 19 175, but need an option for the rear/rear.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to Devilmanak For This Useful Post:
XPMT (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 AM
Currently: Not set.
XPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmanak View Post
I bought a set of QS3 shocks for my 17 Summit. They were horrible. Softer than stock, they clunked when lifting the front end. I rode them once and got rid of them, never even messed with settings on the rear, the front was so bad. Anyone have any experience with the BRP sold Foxes? Need an opinion on the BRP versions, nobody who sells them, anyone who has ridden them and paid full price. I am planning on buying Freeride shocks for my 19 175, but need an option for the rear/rear.
Agree with this 100% that the QS3 made for a worse ride. I had the coil over version all the way around on a 17 Summit and hated the way that it handled. The front shock springs would also constantly squeak because of poor clearance with the shock body. I like having a softer suspension, without being too soft, and thought that the coil overs combined with the heavier rear torsion springs even on the lightest settings were too rigid. It finally got to the point that I couldn’t stand riding that sled any more. I also tried the air version of the QS3 for 18 and thought they rode better than the coil over version, but still not worth the expense to me over stock. I can’t speak for the BRP direct versions or custom valved versions, but after conversations with a well known shock tuner, there would not have been much tuning involved over the factory setup for my specific weight and riding style anyhow. Whenever I got back on a sled with stock shocks, the sled handled better for me, personally. I’m not a really heavy guy and also not a jumper or bump basher, so results/opinions may vary. Hopefully, one day BRP will offer an upgrade via a snow check option, where you can pay a little extra for premium shocks that are specific to the sled without having to spend 2-3K on trial and error with the aftermarket setups. I have the same sled coming as you do for 19 and will be keeping the stock X shocks.

Last edited by XPMT; 09-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 AM
Devilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond reputeDevilmanak has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! The QS3 coilovers I had were from WPS. In 14 I bought the cheaper air Fox shocks through BRP and for the price, was impressed. Super curious to know if BRP did any testing on the Foxes, because Fox didn't do any on the ones they sold through WPS.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 AM
JJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond repute

The shock itself is VERY good. The tuning leaves a lot to be desired, especially on the coilover stuff.

1) They are going way too crazy on spring preload. You need to back that off.
2) I suggest a higher spring rate personally. Ended up with 125s, 112s would be perfect but they don't make them.
3) Valving too can help.

I know, this isn't what you want to hear, but this is why I'd buy through someone like Tom or a shop who will work with you. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 AM
logan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond reputelogan1080 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen lots of fox shocks break on the arctic cats. Even as early as the first few miles put on the sled on the trail ride in. I wont buy em.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Summit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond reputeSummit74 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the 17 QS3 coil was soft! They had 80lb springs stock on the front shocks. 18’s were valved different and had 100 lb spring stock. I added the 100 lb spring this past season and it made a huge difference. Even fox admitted they screwed up, they upgraded springs and valving free for people that had MY17 QS3 if you mailed them in. I would definitely call Tom’s if your going to go fox again.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Currently: Can't wait for snow!
Nytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmanak View Post

Aren't Freeride shocks expensive? Surprised you aren't going with Raptors all around.....

Old 09-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Currently: working for the man
boondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
I've seen lots of fox shocks break on the arctic cats. Even as early as the first few miles put on the sled on the trail ride in. I wont buy em.
FYI OEM Fox shocks are not the same as the aftermarket units. They are thrown together as fast as possible for high production with whatever parts the OEM specifies. Higher chance of damaging a seal and more air in with the oil than there should be. I fixed a brand new shock last season that had a coarse nylon fiber or hair in the air seal and allowed it to leak down. Fox does have a 1 year warranty on their stuff if you do run into problems.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Fox seems to have gotten very corporate. Maybe they can make more money selling their product through Ski-doo and Cat accessories catalogs with generic settings. For that reason I would go through one of the aftermarket dealers (Toms, Carver, Carls Cycle, etc.) to get an aftermarket set of Fox shocks. That way you can actually talk to a person and get a setup that is tailored for you. That is the point of spending big $$$ on aftermarket suspension.
2009 M1300, 2001 Mountain Cat 800 LE, 1972 Kitty Cat
Gone but not Forgotten:
1999 Powder Special 600 LE, 1998 Powder Special 600, 1993 EXT 550, 1980 JAG 340

Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytroty View Post
Aren't Freeride shocks expensive? Surprised you aren't going with Raptors all around.....
Not that bad. (Discount.) I was thinking of parting out my 18 Freeride and keeping the shocks. The 18 Freeride shocks are the first Freeride shocks that I have had since 2013 that I thought were close to right. (Narrow FR.)

Old 09-04-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytroty View Post
Tried them in 15. Not impressed, although I heard from folks that he admitted that they were not right and may be better now.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Basic Member
treeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Basic Member
simnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 AM
XPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond reputeXPMT has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Currently: Can't wait for snow!
Nytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond reputeNytroty has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Currently: Waiting for winter
Adam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond reputeAdam12 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 03:01 PM
JJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond reputeJJ_0909 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ_0909 For This Useful Post:
toms (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Basic Member
treeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond reputetreeboy has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM
boondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond reputeboondocker97 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Devilmanak For This Useful Post:
Adam12 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:40 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 09-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Basic Member
simnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond reputesimnil has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register