• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Skinny 2.0 XM

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Rode my (wife's) xm for little will about 6 weeks ago and got sick of it.
Came home and copied the boards off and then started figuring things out.

I got the boards a little higher than 2" higher and a total width of 28.75" on Parr with a axys.

After a lot of head scratching and assessing I finally cut the panels in half, trimmed them down and welded them back together. Refit the belly pans and modified them, built some covers for the back. Pretty crud but I'll make sure it works before I get to picky.

I'm sure this thing will be 10x the sled it was!

tmp_18601-20160318_155750-675042003.jpg tmp_18601-20160318_1557381264816353.jpg tmp_18601-20160318_1557251691653355.jpg tmp_18601-20160315_035943-226993428.jpg tmp_18601-20160306_174745-1374275002.jpg tmp_18601-20160306_1744121661754546.jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You carry your shovel on your sled. That is stupid and it puts your riding buddies at risk because when you lose your sled in an avy your shovel goes with it. Now you have no shovel to dig out your buddies who got buried.

Maybe you do carry another shovel in your backpack and if you do, good job.

Signs of being an unsafe, unknowledgeable rookie mtn rider-
1. Shovel stored on sled.
2. Avy backpack release handle on your left(how are you gonna outrun an avy when you have to let go of the throttle/handlebar to pull your avy bag handle?)
3. No visible storage bags(it is impossible to store all your safety/survival gear in a backpack as you have to be prepared to stay the night when traveling in the mountains)
4. No radio
5. In some cases-no extra fuel

Lecture is over for all you Wyoboy nut swingers.
Ps-Keep up the projects and descriptions and pics. As much as I love to hassle you, I do enjoy following your stuff.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, I carry one in my float pack.
That sled is the loaner so when rookie gets stuck I can just point at the shovel.
It also came with the pack so why bother taking it out when I rarely ride with it.

Good assumption

Ps, some of us know how to survive without a suitcase.

I have everything I need, and it's pretty easy when a 911 will connect to satalite if needed.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
You carry your shovel on your sled. That is stupid and it puts your riding buddies at risk because when you lose your sled in an avy your shovel goes with it. Now you have no shovel to dig out your buddies who got buried.

2. Avy backpack release handle on your left(how are you gonna outrun an avy when you have to let go of the throttle/handlebar to pull your avy bag handle?)
3. No visible storage bags(it is impossible to store all your safety/survival gear in a backpack as you have to be prepared to stay the night when traveling in the mountains)
4. No radio

Ps-Keep up the projects and descriptions and pics. As much as I love to hassle you, I do enjoy following your stuff.

Nothing like derailing a thread, huh?

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
You are one of the clowns who practices 1,2,3,4 and 5.
Aren't there some trails around for you to ride?

Jeez, who pissed in your cornflakes? Relax guy, some of us aren't to old to carry necessary survival gear on our backs. Great job on the sled wyoboy! Sorry I'm on my iPhone so hard to tell but you "welded" the plastic back together after cutting it? I didn't realize that was a possibility. Great work none the less!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I would like to hear more about the plastic welding, but the concept looks good.

P.S. Kanedog, if I ever post a pic of my sled please note that I carry a 2nd shovel on my sled so that the one on my back ONLY has to come out in an emergency. Just don't want you to blow up just by seeing one on my tunnel in a random pic. :face-icon-small-win

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak

4. No radio

Hilarious! If you can't carry what you need to survive in your pack and stowed inside your sled (not in a bag), you're carrying too much ****. There's plenty of room to store stuff on these sleds, just use a little ingenuity and you won't have to carry all those bags.

And leave a detailed riding plan with your spouse/gf/friend/coworker so they know where you're going and when you'll be back. Do this and you should never have to spend more than 1 night in the boonies.

Nut Swingers...............tff.

And nice job on the sled WyoBoy1000!

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Jeez, who pissed in your cornflakes? Relax guy, some of us aren't to old to carry necessary survival gear on our backs. Great job on the sled wyoboy! Sorry I'm on my iPhone so hard to tell but you "welded" the plastic back together after cutting it? I didn't realize that was a possibility. Great work none the less!

No piss in cornflakes. Ran out of antidepressants a month ago and I'm having fun saying it like it is. I'll get a new prescription in the next month and snowest will be back to normal.

W
Mar 12, 2008
Did you move the running board position up where it attaches to the tunnel as well? How did you accomplish this assuming to move it up you have to completely cut off the lip of the stock running boards.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not sure what you mean on move it up.

You should be able to see it in the pics, I didn't really use anything from the existing doo. All rebuilt. I mounted the front to the top of the tunnel much like the cat.

It's not what I would call the best thing ever because it would be nice to go farther forward, but I had pro boards and they lined up with the mark so I used it. It's going to be so much better anyway I'm not worried about it.
If done again I might go farther forward.

As for the plastic weld, it's much like welding. But first I use a sodering iron to melt it together so it holds in place on the front side. Otherwise it's really hard to keep it in place. Then weld the back, it's not as good as not welding as it can make the plastic brittle, and the bond doesn't always hold because of chemical releases in the plastic. So I melted the front, welded the back, then over layed/melted a wide strip on the back side, then heated the front with a torch to melt in and bond the edges. It also is very hard to keep it pretty. But if the weld holds, and I think it will, then I will sand and fill with repair material to smooth up a little and then put a piece of vinyl wrap over it for looks.

tmp_15580-20160316_2303351932443258.jpg

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Son, I don't think you are in any position to lecture any of the folks here, LOL!
But if you quit talking stupid, I'll ride with you anytime!
Look here Dad, you know I can't shut up. Heck, I'm even talking stupid when I'm panelling out, my suspension is washing out and my a-arms are breaking.

Lets ride!!!!

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho

4. No radio

1: not sure about you, Mr. Dog, but when my riding buddy and i are out, there are 6 sovels between the 2 of us. Never know when you might have to loan one out in a catastophy. Not to mention, you should not ever take the one out of your backpack unless you are digging someone out of an avalanche, and the danger of a secondary slide has been verrified.
2: dominant hand perhaps? Who cares if you can outrun the avalanche (unlikely) if you have to try to find a ripcord with your "clumsy" hand?
3: if you are keeping essential survival items on your sled, and not on your person, you ought to rethink this decision. Wont do you much good when your sled is burried in a slide, or off a cliff etc. nevermind that if you have more than you can fit in a backpack you need to go back to the city and stay where you belong.
4: radio, satphone, gps, cell, whatever you KNOW will work where you are...we have cellular towers on the mountaintops in many places we ride here.
5: how many gallons do YOU carry? You one of those guys who carries 2, 5 gallon cans because they fit so nicely on the tunnel?

Disclaimer: i dont know wyoboy, nor do i know anything about his history or fanbois. However, i have had to spend coold nights out in the mountains before, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. I know what is essential, what is not, and what it takes to be comfortable while i ride and still be comfortable if i have to camp out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The thread is about a ski doo that will wip the chit out of any other stock doo.

Not about anything thing else, when it comes to that, I don't care what you think our what you do.

In the really steep backcountry, just thought I better add that. :)

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
1: not sure about you, Mr. Dog, but when my riding buddy and i are out, there are 6 sovels between the 2 of us. Never know when you might have to loan one out in a catastophy. Not to mention, you should not ever take the one out of your backpack unless you are digging someone out of an avalanche, and the danger of a secondary slide has been verrified.
2: dominant hand perhaps? Who cares if you can outrun the avalanche (unlikely) if you have to try to find a ripcord with your "clumsy" hand?
3: if you are keeping essential survival items on your sled, and not on your person, you ought to rethink this decision. Wont do you much good when your sled is burried in a slide, or off a cliff etc. nevermind that if you have more than you can fit in a backpack you need to go back to the city and stay where you belong.
4: radio, satphone, gps, cell, whatever you KNOW will work where you are...we have cellular towers on the mountaintops in many places we ride here.
5: how many gallons do YOU carry? You one of those guys who carries 2, 5 gallon cans because they fit so nicely on the tunnel?

Disclaimer: i dont know wyoboy, nor do i know anything about his history or fanbois. However, i have had to spend coold nights out in the mountains before, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. I know what is essential, what is not, and what it takes to be comfortable while i ride and still be comfortable if i have to camp out.

2. I don't mean dominate hand. I mean that in most avy situations, you see it happening and most people try to outrun or throttle out of the avy. No one I know will just sit and let their sled idle while get ting buried. The few seconds that you don't have your throttle wfo to escape death could be the few seconds that save your life. If you wanna reduce your chances of survival and just be stubborn and not change what side your handle is on.......tell that to your wife and family and see what they think you should do. Why not have every small advantage on your side when it comes to your life?
3. Good point. I am dumb. I carry food and survival gear on my sled. Shovel and probe in my backpack. It's almost hypocritical.
5. Coincidentally, I am about to to toss that stupid 2.5 gal can in the trash. I almost ran out of fuel on 2 different trips now. Back to the old style 5 gal with old school straps.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The thread is about a ski doo that will wip the chit out of any other stock doo.

Not about anything thing else, when it comes to that, I don't care what you think our what you do.

In the really steep backcountry, just thought I better add that. :)

My stock doo will stomp on any other stock doo. Wyo is correct.

Premium Features