• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Skinny 2.0 XM

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Had a chance to ride it yet? I love mine narrowed, and I don't even have the panels sucked in at all.

I'm interested in what you did to the belly pan, did you push it in and rerivet it?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Had a chance to ride it yet? I love mine narrowed, and I don't even have the panels sucked in at all.

I'm interested in what you did to the belly pan, did you push it in and rerivet it?

You prob need to look at it in person to get a good idea of how to attack a game plan on it. Its at Front Range Cat. Mac we rode with him a couple years ago at A lakes in the spring.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Got it on the snow today.

It does exactly what I thought it would. Very happy.
But now I have to add steering and rear suspension work to get the full potential.

Feels lighter and more responsive.

After those corrections, I may have to make it a t3 with a powerclaw

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Got it on the snow today.

It does exactly what I thought it would. Very happy.
But now I have to add steering and rear suspension work to get the full potential.

Feels lighter and more responsive.

After those corrections, I may have to make it a t3 with a powerclaw

What are you planning for the steering? Going to try building a vertical setup or just post forward? Getting mine out tomorrow with boards narrowed more. Not raised though. Out of curiosity, how wide are your plastics now? I checked mine and they are 34 at the very widest. I don't believe I'm as narrow as you are where the boards start. May rework turbo setup when doing raised setup to go in more. A non turbo co would xp would be easy to get down a few more inches. Nice work on the XM.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Already did a post forward 2" and put a X adjustable riser on.

I'm going to increase the steering radius. So on steep hillsides (now that I can take them) the sled cuts across at a more vehicle angle, you need to be able to turn sharp enough that the skis don't point up hill but horizontal or down. That way you can keep the nose moving across the slope rather than trying to climb.

Depends on where you measure, some places they are 29, some wider, best thing is to look at the pic. The boards are 28.75" total width

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Increasing radius?? Will this eliminate the feel of the ski altogether on a steep hill? The tail of my ski felt like an issue once in a while when out Saturday. Few inches of snow over a hard base which always give more ski feedback than powder. Don't know if it would be worth it for me and if extra steering effort resulted (seems like it would, I may be wrong??). Constant steep side hills would probably be different and controlled slides would be better I would think.

Huge improvement even over the amount I had narrowed my sled before. Never felt like it was paneling out. Did notice I was "pedaling" my sled more. More like when I ride a Pro. Often it was just reposition my body to get used to different input requirements. When wide, never felt like you could get to far forward just keeping the front end down. Not much of a need to "push" the sled. Cut some hills that I knew how my sled handled before for a decent comparison test. Did not put a slope meter on anything, but one spot in particular that is always tougher to get through regardless of snow conditions, was an absolute cake walk to cut across. Would have wanted to panel before. Raised would be better yet. Another spot, it was either hold a line or end up in a ravine, held no issues at all. Full width would have paneled and either slid down or would have been forced to climb straight up. I did notice I wanted to stand further back on the boards than normal for me. May remove post forward and give it a whirl just for comparison. Would like to try some forward a arms. Think it would balance out the sled a little better. W/ the snow conditions it felt like my front end wanted to "Rev" if you know what I mean and yank all over when transfering ski pressure back down. None of the other XP's noticed this so may have been more to do w/ the changes I made w/ my rear skid setup.

A quick question, do you like your skis toed slightly in, out, parallel? Mine are neutral on turbo, big bore is in and it rolls onto edge easier but sled has little different setup suspension wise. What do you think? You've probably tested all the different scenarios.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Running gripper already. Going to change the shape a little. Not a full Carl's cut, but just a little trimming. Not sure what button I hit Terry, but I received some pop up saying something about giving rep. Couldn't tell if it was supposed to be positive or negative, so I apologize if I negative. Damb thumbs!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Running gripper already. Going to change the shape a little. Not a full Carl's cut, but just a little trimming. Not sure what button I hit Terry, but I received some pop up saying something about giving rep. Couldn't tell if it was supposed to be positive or negative, so I apologize if I negative. Damb thumbs!

Don't cut, heat and bend.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
How did it work?

It made a 10k Pile of metal a killer, I hated it before. Now it's a steep slope killer. You would not believe the difference it made. It's baffling Evgeny to me that one change ups the potential of a sled this much.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
2. I don't mean dominate hand. I mean that in most avy situations, you see it happening and most people try to outrun or throttle out of the avy. No one I know will just sit and let their sled idle while get ting buried. The few seconds that you don't have your throttle wfo to escape death could be the few seconds that save your life. If you wanna reduce your chances of survival and just be stubborn and not change what side your handle is on.......tell that to your wife and family and see what they think you should do. Why not have every small advantage on your side when it comes to your life?
3. Good point. I am dumb. I carry food and survival gear on my sled. Shovel and probe in my backpack. It's almost hypocritical.
5. Coincidentally, I am about to to toss that stupid 2.5 gal can in the trash. I almost ran out of fuel on 2 different trips now. Back to the old style 5 gal with old school straps.

Just to clear this up, any bag handles were designed initially on the left because most people are right handed, many people who sled now have switched to the right side because they believe that while they are out running an avalanche, they will release their left hand while the right hand has the throttle pinned. If you think this is you then, please get a video of you on a dirt bike at the local track in third gear pinned through the whoop section and taking your hand off the handle bar to release your any pack. Might be harder than you think. In any avy situation, pull the bag right away and then try to out run it, as if you don't it will be too late to pull the pack, no matter which side it is located. Again#1 pull pack, #2 then TRY to out ride it. Cheers

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Wyo what did you use to mount the inside of the boards to the tunnel ? Assuming the stock lip wasn't used with raising the boards up?

Premium Features