• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E tech vs power tek

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
I have not heard and possibly am just searching wrong but how does the etec compare in the steep and deep. I can find how they do head to head in the ditch but want to know on the mountain. I see people comparing the etech to the 860. Is it really that much better. is there any reason to even consider buying a new powertec? thanks

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I own both, and the e-tec engine feels like a big bore, and I only have 60miles on mine so far. stock vs stock my 09 never felt this strong brand new.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

So it is safe to say that properly set the e tec feels much stronger and really the only way to go if you were to buy an 11. So the ski doo SP is basically a waste of time?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
So it is safe to say that properly set the e tec feels much stronger and really the only way to go if you were to buy an 11. So the ski doo SP is basically a waste of time?

My e-tec is box stock nowhere near broke in, and it will probably give my well set up 09 a good run. The SP is a great sled, looks like a great value. It's up to you what engine U want that p tec is proven and is mod friendly. the e-tec is still new expensive technology not mod friendly YET. I'm not going to tell you what one to buy, but after riding mine for the first time I'm impressed.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

Yeah thats where I am. I can spend 13 grand and have a sp with heads pipe y pipe can and clutching or a can spend 12-5 and have an e tech what you think

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I dont know where you live but 154 everest etec are going for 10600 in washington and sp are 9500.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Yeah thats where I am. I can spend 13 grand and have a sp with heads pipe y pipe can and clutching or a can spend 12-5 and have an e tech what you think

Is It a X model E tec? the sp has the X gauges and I believe it has the take apart shocks. The prices for both sound close especially with the goodies on the SP. Do you know anybody that has a e-tec that you can ride?, maybe the dealer has a demo.
Lets put it to yah this way I was on the fence about the e-tec, I have alot of money into my 09, and was going to use the e-tec as my backup sled/ wifes trail sled (easier throttle pull for her). after riding my 2011 i'm considering swapping all my goodies over to the e-tec and keeping the 09 as my backup, the e-tec rips.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

I live in wy you pay tax at time of purchase an sp is 9899+tax and they told me an e tech is 12500. They do not deal here for the most part it is what it is. If I drove somewhere to get a sled and save 500 it is not really worth it. The dealer does a good job and all that preformance crap cost 2500. I checked just for grins and he was still cheaper that Billings.

shaneway59

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2010
Last night, I jumped from my 09 xp 800 ptek onto my friends 11 xp 800 Etec and I couldn't believe how much more powerfull the Etec felt. And his Etec only had 40 miles on it. I would definately go with the Etec, especially after trying them both side by side.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
sp comes with the x gauges and the shocks are not rebuildable.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Motor

Thanks for the info guys I am glad to hear a head to head comparison. I have been told that the P tek seems to pull harder but all the power was at high rpms where the etec has a bunch to torque from 7-8 thousand. Easier to ride but did not have the snap of the neck type feel

shaneway59

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2010
I found the Etec pull harder everywhere. I also thought my Ptec would feel more snap of the neck pull but it didn't. I was going to wait until next season to trade my Ptec for an Etec but I don't know if I can wait now.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

i am in the same boat. I have an o8 and like the xp chasis think we are in the last year and want the best of it. I was also comparing a modded p tek to the e tek

I was in the same boat. I went with the SP just last week. The only difference from the X is the shocks. I did not get a chance to ride the E tech but everyone that I have talked to said the biggest thing they noticed was how well they were able to turn in powder. The SP is actually more narrow than the everest and is lighter. The E tech is going to give you 155 HP but is also heavier. The SP still has the better HP to weight ratio. Overall I think both sleds are awsome.

I live in Utah so I had sales tax but out the door it was 10454 with the additional two year warranty. The sled itself was about 9500. I priced three places in UT and the other two were 10700 out the door. They also made sure it was jetted for 8 to 10k ft. I also talked to a dealer in montana and he said he would let it go for 9500 to 9700 out the door. The dont have sales tax.

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
I sold my rev and was going to get into a p tek because I really wasnt sure if I could trust the new 800 etec. Well I made my mind up after driving my buddys freeride. All I could say was wow for an out of the box sled that thing moved. I was sold on the spot. I would pay the extra $$ and buy the e tec. I just got an everest because it was all I could find in the area. I really like it. Some of my buddys ride 08-10 p teks and have mods done to them and I will stick right with them and mine has 130 miles on it and is bone stock.

Premium Features