• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 lost power and died now wont start

J
Nov 9, 2012
Took my 05 900 out for the second time this year, was running great played around in the 3+ ft of fresh pow, got dark and headed home, about 2 miles from home my head light/guages started to go off/on intermittently (sled still ran smoothly, no cutting out surging etc.) for a mile this got progressively worse untill the sled finaly died and had to get towed home by my wife.

As a side note; at the end of last year my voltage on the dash would be low 2-3 bars then ride and it would come up. same thing yesterday, volt showed low 2 bars till i rode a ways then it came up a bit, maybee 4 bars.

Does this sound like a bad capacitor? I do have spark but sled wont even fire.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance!

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
As the bars come up when RPMs are up, I'd be inclined to think the capacitor is ok. I'd recommend removing your seat and ohming out the stator....

Have you confirmed your compression?

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

J
Nov 9, 2012
Well I pulled the tank off this afternoon and only had one charge coil ohm good. So i pulled the stator out and found two of the yellow wires broke right where they are soldered onto the stator. I'm going to clean the glue out with a dremel, cut the wires back and re-solder them. Hopefully I can find some dielectric epoxy to re-cover the connections.

Where is the best place to buy a stator if this doesnt work?

The inner ring was also loose when i worked at it but had not yet came out to cause any damage so ill be epoxying that in aswell.

J
Nov 9, 2012
Well i soldered two of the yellow wires back onto the stator and coated it with a bunch of liquid electrical tape. Re-epoxied the ring in the fly wheel. put her back together, fire up on the second pull, full bars on the dash gauge from the instant it started. Running like a top again!

Premium Features