• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs SKS

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
What are you guys snowchecking, Pro or SKS?

I'm stuck right on the edge leaning for the pro one day and sks the next.

Take 17 lbs off for the electric start I wouldn't get and the sks weighs in at 426 lbs vs the pro at 408 lbs. 18lbs difference and I'd estimate 5/7 lbs for the heat exchanger which is a big plus and probably saves that much in ice buildup!

So.... We are left with about 12 lbs which is from the shocks, frame, chaincase and wheels.

If I got a pro it would have the clicker shocks and I'd add a wheel kit.

Now adding those options the sleds really are only about 8 lbs or so in difference which is next to nothing. Which means it comes down to what is better, a heat exchanger and chaincase vs a belt drive?

I love the idea of a front heat exchanger and reliability of chaincase. but have minimum experience on the belt drive so I'm not sure if it is any better or worse.

When I compare the weight, I don't see any real difference performance wise between the two.

(Sled will be road both in Minnesota and out west)

If I decide on the new SKS and it can't climb as high as I can on '13 Pro RMK it's going up for sale the next season

I need some help deciding here guys, thanks for listening to my lunch break rant!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
What are you guys snowchecking, Pro or SKS?

I'm stuck right on the edge leaning for the pro one day and sks the next.

Take 17 lbs off for the electric start I wouldn't get and the sks weighs in at 426 lbs vs the pro at 408 lbs. 18lbs difference and I'd estimate 5/7 lbs for the heat exchanger which is a big plus and probably saves that much in ice buildup!

So.... We are left with about 12 lbs which is from the shocks, frame, chaincase and wheels.

If I got a pro it would have the clicker shocks and I'd add a wheel kit.

Now adding those options the sleds really are only about 8 lbs or so in difference which is next to nothing. Which means it comes down to what is better, a heat exchanger and chaincase vs a belt drive?

I love the idea of a front heat exchanger and reliability of chaincase. but have minimum experience on the belt drive so I'm not sure if it is any better or worse.

When I compare the weight, I don't see any real difference performance wise between the two.

(Sled will be road both in Minnesota and out west)

If I decide on the new SKS and it can't climb as high as I can on '13 Pro RMK it's going up for sale the next season

I need some help deciding here guys, thanks for listening to my lunch break rant!

It sounds like you are a prime candidate for an SKS. You are adding wheels and clickers anyway. Front cooler weight is minimal, and I think you would find very beneficial. Chaincase vs QD is minimal I think. QD is a bit more responsive but I don't think it would be a game changer.

H

Heavy800

Dec 30, 2010
Im going with the SKS. Mainly for the front heat exchanger. Love the pro but im buying what suits me best. Also putting the 2.6 track on it.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
I'm getting the 2.6 also. Not a fan of the 2.25 in powder it just tenches out and I don't see an advantage the 2.4 has over the 2.6 (I cut the fins off on my 2.4 and I see the 2.6 and 3" comes without the dumb fins)

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Does the SKS come standard with the heavier duty (Extreme or Ultimate) bumpers compared to the Pro?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Crap, thought I saw somewhere one of them had a heavier duty rear aluminum shaft bumper.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
kinda off topic, but kinda not.

Does the SKS come with ice scratchers? doesn’t look like it from the website.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Well, many who bought the 15 RMKs with wheels and coolers reported a pair of scratchers were also shipped with the sled, so, who really knows for sure. The 15 RMK was not spec'ed with scratchers at snocheck.

If anyone owns the sled and runs any trails with the SKS, or RMK, and really, who doesn't, scratchers will be pretty damn convenient. In my opinion, every mountain sled sold should have them, and if they aren't there OEM, they are added before it sees snow.

I did say owns a sled - rental operators may have other perspectives :face-icon-small-win

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Sks does not come with scratchers. Pro does. IMO the factory scratchers are junk, especially for that $60 some they charge! You can buy the cable ones for the same price which have replaceable ends, and won't break if you go into reverse.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Sks does not come with scratchers. Pro does. IMO the factory scratchers are junk, especially for that $60 some they charge! You can buy the cable ones for the same price which have replaceable ends, and won't break if you go into reverse.

I had a set of cables on my sled for awhile. Didn't seem to have much down pressure and wanted to fold back against the track too much. They were on the sled when I bought it so maybe they were just worn out?

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
After about 2 seasons on cable scratchers, they will start to lose down pressure. When this happens I lossen them up, then turn them so they get their down pressure back. Idk if they lose pressure or just twist from the drag over time. It's only held on by a bolt and I don't really want to crank that down on aluminum rails.

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
I will also be riding mostly MN with a few trips out west hopefully. I checked a SKS as I think it will be a good all around sled to get out ice fishing in the BWCA and Voyagers, going through the swamps, and going out west.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Going with SKS but may order with manual start to keep weight down in check and much closer to Pro.

I really feel the front heat exchanger is more important than belt drive.

I will had 2.6 track and will be putting Over the Top Reversible scratchers on. If I buy a pro I will be adding wheels. Many of the places I ride I feel it is important to have both wheels and scratchers.

Premium Features