• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

brake rotor grinding after chasis swap

S
Mar 22, 2022
Truckee, ca
I swapped everything over to a new bulkhead and tunnel assembly over the summer. The old sled had a chaincase, but the new chasis was setup for belt drive. I kept the original driveshaft (which was a bit long) and added spacers to take up the extra space. I swapped the brake rotor and caliper for the correct belt drive components.

Everything runs great except when I turn the skis to the right while moving I get a harsh grinding noise from the brake disk area and can feel resistance. I figure if it is the rotor/caliper then I would be getting a ton of heat from the friction, but I rode it yesterday for a while and checked frequently but the heat level seemed normal. I'm not sure if this is the brake/caliper rubbing or if the brake rotor is rubbing on the back of the small cog of the belt drive (there is no washer in between the two).

When I installed the caliper and rotor, I had to file a bit off of the back of the caliper mounting brackets to get it to align with the rotor just right. Not sure why it didn't want to go on there smooth but this seemed to solve the alignment issue.

There is a slight amount of 'play' in the rotor' where I can wobble it just a bit. I can take care of that by adding a spacer to the driveshaft but if I do that then I will have to shim the same amount out on the jackshaft so the drive belt is alligned correctly. I'm worried about going this route due to the added leverage on the lower cog of the drivebelt if it is shimmed out from the bulkhead at all. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Any help or ideas on how to diagnose this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
it shouldn't need any spacers or grinding if you used the right parts. you probably have the wrong drive shaft in it

S
Mar 22, 2022
Truckee, ca
it shouldn't need any spacers or grinding if you used the right parts. you probably have the wrong drive shaft in it
I know I have the wrong drive shaft and am trying to make it work...
The drive shaft was from a chaincase sled, the new chasis is a belt drive. The driveshaft I have is about 1.5" too long. Otherwise they are the same. So I added some spacers to take up the extra room on the shaft. Not sure why this would affect brake rotor position though. My spacers are on the outside of the brake rotor.

Premium Features