• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tie rod boots

R
Dec 20, 2017
My tie rod boots are filled with ice. Where does it come from is it a case of air gap in from intake and snow falling in there. Or commen issue

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I thought it was a thawing issue as well. Boots looked like they were about to explode all the time until one ripped open. I don’t have a shop yet so my sled sits outside loaded in truck all winter. I made sure to zip tie the rubber on the tie rod and the a-arm,,,,, that didn’t fix the problem. I then put gorilla tape over the 2 largest holes on each side above a-arms. That solved it!! I believe they are the 2 square holes.

In deep snow sidehilling they must let snow pass through.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Those boots are a low point of sorts, any snow coming into the hood can either collect or melt and freeze there. I had such bad ice build up in that area that a chunk ended up under the oil rod and held the throttle half open. I too don’t have a shop so I gotta take those boots off and get the rest of the ice out.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Ice

I have never noticed the ice for a couple of years, I did see (i never noticed until now) that polaris has little plastic bushings on the tie rods, and they are plastic tied in place with the boot. Has anyone tried them on a cat?? Maybe wrong diameter?

Premium Features