• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what are u guys packing?

M
Dec 29, 2008
im new to riding in the back country! my sled is in the shop right now getting an alpine turbo put on it! my question for u guys is what are u packing with u for a day of riding, we all know that a stupid lil 5 dollar part could make or break someones day of riding!!! just haven't seen and topics on this tell me what u think!

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I assume you are talking about what mechanical tools/items?

Tools weigh so much and seems you can never have enough, off the top of my head.

Leatherman, few double ended wrenches, screwdriver, zip ties, small bottle of gas antifreeze, heat tape, elec tape, jumper cables, crescent wrench, hay wire, couple fuses...... Hopefully between the group there are enough basic tools.

I am always surprised how heavy that tool bag is.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
What do you pack mountain riding?

Everything that has been mentioned, plus the longest, strongest zip ties you can find. At least 4 of them and a good handful of 8"-10" ties. With this I have reattached trailing arms, hoods, light pods, windshields, bumpers, and yes, even a-arms and broken spindles. It's better than duct tape.(don't forget some of that)
Good-luck!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I always carry spare belt, emery cloth, tiny bottle of gear oil, spark plugs, zip ties, 1 litre of engine oil, 500ml pop bottle of antifreeze, wire, duct tape, mini booster cables, stock tool kit, a few nuts and bolts, a few wrenches, pliers, Multi screwdriver, 100ft of rope(been used MANY times);).

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
It's better than duct tape.(don't forget some of that)
Good-luck!

Duct tape has saved my day more than a few times.
Its also a good idea to have at least one yammi in the group for every two non yammi's:D

011-3.jpg

012-4.jpg

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I have a nice little can of misc bolts and such...used it lots also....Lots of zip ties for sure. A good magnet on a long retractable handle is nice too. Dont forget metric and standard allen wrenches. A 1/4 inch socket set in std and metric is a nice tool also.

As for parts: Oil, Anti-freeze, a few nutz & bolts. I also have a complete barkbuster front end in the truck and the tools needed to change it out (i seem to find all the rocks on the hill). A good sharp knife is a must !

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
We typically have our tools locked in the pickup. If anything happens we can send 2 guys back to get the tools or parts we need. I just carry my lunch and survival equipment in my backpack...and thats about it.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Well hopefully every bolt is loctited.I always get in a rush and forget to tighten something.I pack a few fuses.Used to pack lots of stuff now not so much now felt to much like a snap on tools truck.Plus all the extra weight drove me nuts.Oh yah I dont ride alone and sometimes I can trick a buddy into hauling my tool pouch if they have room and dont see it first.

Premium Features