• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown motor on new(to me) sled, what would you do

S
Oct 7, 2011
Incase you don't want to read story. New sled blew up what would you do

Now what would you do
A. Sell sled as parts sled
B. Fix and sell with turbo
C. Fix and sell without turbo
D. Fix and ride with turbo
E. Fix and ride without turbo

So long story short I ended up with a sled as a Christmas bonus (keep money away from the tax man & trying to buy work I assume lol) the sled in question is a 13 pro rmk with a mountain tek turbo. Ally buddy's ride doo and said get away from the rmk but the rmk guys I talked to said rock it. So figured why not rock the free sled and not be a douche selling a "gift".
Well first ride to the mountains(second ride, first was local trail 30kms)I get 3km in and the thing quits. Limp it home and do a compression test to find top ends gone. Bring it into my shop of choice and they say looks like some things on the turbo weren't installed right and needs a new motor.

Now what would you do
A. Sell sled as parts sled
B. Fix and sell with turbo
C. Fix and sell without turbo
D. Fix and ride with turbo
E. Fix and ride without turbo
d6f7ff74ee1d3d2911e1c2a90d069b3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-F926W using Tapatalk

C
Mar 15, 2018
I suppose it depends on what all it needs and what kind of riding you do. If it just needs pistons/jugs, then fixing it is kind of a no brainer IMO. If you ride high elevations you may want to keep the turbo but if you arrest, if ever ride above 5-6000 feet you might want to leave the turbo off. If poi rid at 10,000 feet I would think you would want to keep the turbo. A lot of variables to consider IMO.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Sleds and turbos are like pilots. You have old pilots and you have bold pilots...but you don't have old, bold pilots. Just like you don't see old turbo sleds...not for long anyway.

Ditch the turbo, simplify things, fix the cylinder/motor and ride it. Especially if you are newer and inexperienced...super easy to burn down a turbo sled...as you have already found out.

Premium Features