• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

blew my first belt

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
765 miles on it--not to bad--took the top off---was hoping to get the hole season out of it but i rode the heck out of it in some gooood snow:D:beer;

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I was almost 765 miles on my first belt as well. That's all with off trail riding. It did end up going on a day with 3-4' of fresh and was working super hard! Sure I'd like to get a few more miles out of a belt, but I won't complain about750 or so of good hard powder riding.

C

concreteman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
560 miles

560Miles so far, I went to Wyoming this weekend with the wife she killed the 800 edge about 20 miles into the ride. So rather than head back we doubled up on the xp and went the next 20miles back in deep pow on my sled and let me tell ya she had a death grip on my pack on the side hill stuff :D:D The next day I went out and my buds 900 high marked me by about 20 ft so rather than waiting to see how many miles i can get on this wore out belt i think I will go ahead and put the new one on :) not to mention i also towed out the Polaris the 20 miles back to the truck.

Last edited:
C

concreteman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 27, 2007
stressed belt but not blown

A pic of wife and i load testing my belt :):):)

2uponthexp.jpg

polaris on the hook

kristhehook-1.jpg

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The 3 XP's I ride with regularly, 2 163's and our 174-16 2.5"....all have put on about 7-800 miles this year and not one belt failure. All 220+ riders and deep heavy cascade snow. I have never had a sled that had a belt last this long with the abuse they are given. (knocking on wood!) :):beer;
Quite impressive, IMO DOO has gone from having the most belt failures a couple years ago to the least failures of all the 2-strokes from what I have seen.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I must be jinxed, I have regularly gone though a belt every ride and a half all year long, 1800 kms, 8 belts!!!!!! I just got a shim kit and rode the piss outa the sled this weekend and I gotta say I think it helped. Also 1 blown motor (350 kms) and just yesterday I blown motor mount hello warranty …. Course this is after putting on 150 kms Friday, 180 kms on Saturday and 120 kms on Sunday.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I must be jinxed, I have regularly gone though a belt every ride and a half all year long, 1800 kms, 8 belts!!!!!! I just got a shim kit and rode the piss outa the sled this weekend and I gotta say I think it helped. Also 1 blown motor (350 kms) and just yesterday I blown motor mount hello warranty …. Course this is after putting on 150 kms Friday, 180 kms on Saturday and 120 kms on Sunday.

Still running stock clutching?

R
Aug 6, 2008
Dirty Toes Idaho
2 belts in 3 rides

I am also going through belts like crazy, I cant afford this crap. It seems like it all starts with a little bit of freid lacing that starts coming loose from inside the belt, then it just keeps getting worse until the belt pulls apart completely, maybe its my alignmnet, maybe its me, or maybe its the button!
I was told that you should always scrub your belt with soapy water to break it in, is anyone else doing this. It helps remove the film that is left from the manufacturing process. Any Ideas?

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
Still running stock clutching?

nope... shockwave helix at the lowest angle, stock ramps and no weight and stiffer sec spring. Lots of vents and alignment is perfect.... usually run clicker 3 unless we get above 2000 m.

i put a brand new belt on on saterday and made it my goal to blow it, we ran 180 kms and it blew about 150 (i was testing out my new shim kit) i find the same results every time, the cord comes out on the outside of the belt and progressively gets worse until it blows, but with this shim kit i blew the top of the belt off in one section and it didn't pull the string out...?? also i noticed that it would start to bog when the belt started to get really stressed/hot. i dunno i just know the walet is glad the season is now over...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
nope... shockwave helix at the lowest angle, stock ramps and no weight and stiffer sec spring. Lots of vents and alignment is perfect.... usually run clicker 3 unless we get above 2000 m.

i put a brand new belt on on saterday and made it my goal to blow it, we ran 180 kms and it blew about 150 (i was testing out my new shim kit) i find the same results every time, the cord comes out on the outside of the belt and progressively gets worse until it blows, but with this shim kit i blew the top of the belt off in one section and it didn't pull the string out...?? also i noticed that it would start to bog when the belt started to get really stressed/hot. i dunno i just know the walet is glad the season is now over...

That is a formula for heat.....shallow helix, no pin weight, stiff springs....you will go through belts even with perfect alignment.

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
That is a formula for heat.....shallow helix, no pin weight, stiff springs....you will go through belts even with perfect alignment.

ya i've played around with it a lot this year, as a matter of fact i don't think i have ridden the same set up twice, i've played with gears, ramps, sec springs, everything. I just noticed that running a lower ramp angle seemed to lowered the clutch heat. Just this last weekend as well i was playing with my shockwave, i did a side hill and ran the helix on the highest angle, let the sled cool, then did the same sidehill with the lowest angle, on both atemps i ajusted the clickers accordingly to keep the sled at 8200. The clutch seemed to be the same temp i.e. can't touch it, the track speed was the same, i get about 70km/h only with a high helix angle the rpms would bouce more as i went along.

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
1100mi, rotating same two belts since new, a 166 & a 377. All mi this year on 377 since I got S.W. dialed for it.

M
Mar 14, 2008
missoula, mt
1600 miles on last belt

I have a 08 800 xp 154. I averaged about 500 miles on each of the 3 belts last season. The first two were 166's and the next were 377's. Near the end of last season when my sled had 1600 miles on it, I had to replace the third belt. The threads started to come out of it on the outside, the same as the others. I rode the last few rides last season with the side panel removed and there was barely any heat buildup. I tried a shim kit at the start of this season but it still had alot of heat. A friend I ride with that has the same exact sled bought a team secondary and put front and rear vents on his side panel. We went on two backcountry rides and checked temperatures at different times. My clutches were always at least 30* F more than his and if I did 2 long hillclimbs, mine would go over 200* F and start slipping. His would stay under 170* F no matter how many climbs he did. The team secondary kit was pretty pricey that I put on but it made a huge difference along with the vents. Last weekend at 3200 miles on the odometer the fourth belt finally started threading out. I don't ride trails except to get to boondocking and backcountry places. Most of the time I am breaking trail and climbing big hills. It is obvious to me it will pay for itself. I just wish Skidoo would fix their problem.

Premium Features