• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driving with a dog

K
Dec 1, 2007
Boise, I DA HO
With all the people with dogs now days. Should it be against the law to drive with a dog on their lap. Seems to me people who let their dogs sit on their laps and hang theitr head out the window are worse drivers than those talking on cell phones.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Dog gets kenneled in the bed of the truck or is stuck in the back seat of the quad cab. Pref. the kennel thats tied down in the back since its safe if a wreck ever happened. Dogs even the lil small ones have no business being up in the lap. To much of a distraction and if your in a wreck it will just get thrown around the cab.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River AK
My boss drives with two little dogs in his truck, one next to him and one lays on his shoulders behind him. I have seen many times when he gets distracted by one or both of them. He even took out his mirror on a mailbox last fall. That was a several hundred dollar oops.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
last year driving home from Fla. had a lady pass me on the left. on the interstate. it was a graduale right hand corner she no sooner passed me and veered off the road and corrected back on the road side ways and t boned a van 300' in front of us. we all were going about 85 the van rolled he was ejected and i don't think he made it. went over to the lady and she had 2 dogs on her lap. Im pretty sure the dogs had something to do with the crash

V
Nov 26, 2007
Pilot Butte, SK
Dog gets kenneled in the bed of the truck or is stuck in the back seat of the quad cab. Pref. the kennel thats tied down in the back since its safe if a wreck ever happened. Dogs even the lil small ones have no business being up in the lap. To much of a distraction and if your in a wreck it will just get thrown around the cab.

I agree there will be law to inforce this someday, as well as talking on the cell phone.

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Wait until the airbag goes off...

Then you'll get a ticket for driving while impaled.

I had to do a radio show "rant" last month, and that was the topic of my rant.

People that drive with dogs on their laps....

You wouldn't let your child sit on your lap while you drive, would you?:eek:

I see it all the time, and it's pretty stupid. Then the dog sees another dog, and it goes apes**t, and try and tell me that is not distracting...

Why they dont give out tickets for this kind of thing is beyond me.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Have a buddy that used to think it was funny to get his dog worked up about other animals as he was driving down the road. Then one day the dog freaked over a moose standing in the ditch,ran across the seat,put a leg in the steering weel ended up rolling his truck! Only thing I could do is laugh at him. What do you think is going to happen. Keep the animals out of your lap and the cell off your ear! Common knowledge,I promise!!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My mongrel get so worked up that I have to keep a pet gate or kennel in all of the vehicles.
Otherwise it's pure mayhem.

The last dog (same breed) was a perfect angel in a vehicle.
Go figure?

B
Nov 26, 2007
With all the people with dogs now days. Should it be against the law to drive with a dog on their lap. Seems to me people who let their dogs sit on their laps and hang theitr head out the window are worse drivers than those talking on cell phones.

should be illegal, i believe it to be more dangerous than cell phone drivers

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
If you can get a ticket for distraction for items hanging off your mirror then a mutt on your lap should be cause for the same thing. Personally I think if the U.S. did like the Germans did and make a DL cost like $1000 and if you *** up you don't get it back. Maybe then people would take driving a bit more seriously and you wouldn't see women trying to apply eyeliner, drink coffee and chat on their cell phone at the same time either.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
holy crap not to hijack or anything but that european drivers test is a BEOTCH!

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
My lab just chills in the back seat and sits facing forward like a human would. He doesn't jump around or anything. Once in awhile if I am running in to town quick I will let him ride shotgun and he sits and looks out the front window.

Chicks love him is why he goes with ;)

Premium Features