• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Same part # different size pistons

B

burgess

Sep 17, 2010
Wright, WY
So I bought two piston kits from two different sources. Both are labeled 2204322 on the boxes. One was in a small white box and the other was in a little larger cardboard box. One also had a smaller part number on the bottom of the box which was 17519369. They were both wrapped in the same paper and are visually identical aside from the numbers on the top of the pistons. I measured with a verneir caliper and can tell no difference. Might grab a mic from work and try it. Im just wondering if this is common for Polaris and if they will be fine to run together. Thanks. Picture attached

pistons.jpg

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
Not really comparing apples to apples but my new wossners sitting here have identical numbers on top... I'd be concerned about a mis packaged piston

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i would be returning them and getting pistons with the same part number, unless you want to create a headache for yourself.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
.001 mm is less than one ten thousandth of an inch, 99% of the poeple dont even have a measuring device that will measure that precise. Good on you to have a questioning attitude but run them, no worries.:face-icon-small-win

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Have you tried weighing them ? I bought oem pistons for my 700 and when the piston showed it was the close to the same size but weighed more, the skirt was noticeable thicker . Believe this Polaris dealer said they where for the trail sled not the RMK and it was all right to run it . Sorry but I opted to buy another set of piston.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Pistons

I would weigh them just to be sure. The vendor may have just changed packaging. Everyone is always looking to save money in manufacturing,the smaller box is probably a running change to save a penny.

B

burgess

Sep 17, 2010
Wright, WY
Thanks for the input guys. Ill weigh em and see how close they are. .000039 inches is a pretty small variance, probably well within machining specs. Just odd to me. Might shoot a call to polaris and see if they have any more info.

Premium Features