• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Piston

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I have a 2013 Pro 800 with I think around 780 miles on it all mountain riding in Wyoming. I had my pipe and exhaust valves out to clean them and was looking at the pistons. I noticed a strange mark on the Pto side piston. Not a score mark or anything because it is parallel to the top of the piston not perpendicular to the piston. It is about 3/8" long. I can't tell for sure if it is a crack or not. I'm not sure if it is the piston skirt starting to crack or not. Here are a couple pictures of the pto piston. Any recommendations? I haven't talked to my dealer yet; just noticed it this afternoon. I have the 4 year warranty. My main concern is just not to have a failure during the season.

Last edited:

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
I don't think it looks like anything to worry about. Can you reach it with your finger nail. See if you can feel anything. I have my 13 pro rmk 800 engine on my work bench with 1100 miles and looks very good.
I took the 12 apart with 1800 miles and looked OK but definatly more wear on the 12. The pistons on the 12 are almost .002 smaller then the 13's.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I took the y pipe off and then I could reach the piston. I can't really feel a lip at all or catch the mark with my fingernail. And I suppose that if it was a piston skirt cracking it probably wouldn't start in the middle.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't reuse the Y pipe gasket? It didn't rip at all taking it off and looks good yet.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I took the y pipe off and then I could reach the piston. I can't really feel a lip at all or catch the mark with my fingernail. And I suppose that if it was a piston skirt cracking it probably wouldn't start in the middle.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't reuse the Y pipe gasket? It didn't rip at all taking it off and looks good yet.

Throw some black silicon on it and call it good, unless of course it leaks once it's back on.

Premium Features