• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 RMK Pro 800 Engine Swap?

M
Oct 10, 2022
Montana
Long time lurker and brand new member! I've been borrowing sleds a good bit over the last few years for ski access and have an open offer of a buddy's 2013 RMK Pro 800 155 if I repair it... He roasted the motor last spring and it has sat outside a sled shop since then - quoted $3500 for a complete rebuild. He believes that the mechanic said the issue is that he threw a rod/piston through the block (he isn't into wrenching so that may not be the correct engine failure). My questions for you good folks are:

1. How involved is a motor swap? (I'm comfortable car mechanic but haven't touched sleds before... let alone a motor swap... and any specialty tools required?)
2. What should I expect to pay for a rebuilt motor and are there any sources you'd recommend? Or should I try to find a used one?
3. Anything else I should do while I'm in there for longevity's sake?
4. Is it worth it?

I've got access to a dry garage to do the swap in and if it can come in below $3k plus a little sweat-equity to have the sled up and running for another few seasons it seems like it'd be worth it? Lemme know and thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Premium Features