• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 mag side 300 and pto side 700 degrees?

S

stay tuned

Oct 18, 2002
Bozeman, MT.
Burned down the mag side twice. At idle the temps are close at 315. In the shop with the belt off. But as I increase the rpm to 6800 the mag side drops under 300 and the pto side goes to 700. Things I have done. Changed plugs, reeds, injectors, ecu. I have checked the voltage at both injectors. All four spark plugs are firing. Set the power valves and made sure they open at the correct rpm. What should the exhaust temps be with the belt off in the shop?
I guess the next thing is to pull the engine and pressure check it. No codes are showing. I have also switched the injectors. Installed a new Digatron with new probes. Will the Cat dealer tester show anything if there are not codes showing? It is getting more than enough oil. I set it up just for testing. The pistons had scores on four corners with the top and rings looking good. I sprayed starting fluid around the throttle bodies, mag side and along the clutch with no results. Both cyl's have 120 lbs of comp. 07 M1000 with 1300 miles.

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Air leak?
Crank seal.

Get some starting fluid and with it running spray a bit behind the clutch and around the throttle bodies.

Worth a try.

I know on mine I have to trim the BD box to keep them balanced. I am off about 100 or so.

Thunder

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
m1000

what year is your sled. ive taken the mag side out twice on mine also on last two rides. 4 corners. 09 m1000. goes down when rpm drop is around 7 to 7300 and motor is loaded hard. runs perfect at 7600. may not be related but just noticed a leak coming from the tell tail hole in water pump seal.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
do you have full insurance if you do I think you know what to do:D Had one do the same thing, are you replacing with new AC parts and have you Checked the piston tolerance.
Do you have mods and if so list them all. have you ever heard any pinging?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Check throttle body boots where oil line goes in. Had my 08 M1000 lose the PTO boot within first 700 miles and recently changed one on a 05 M7 with over 6000 miles. He got lucky, lean backfired and killed reeds, no damage to motor. Underneath is where they go.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I wouldn't put much faith in EGT reading in the shop with no load on the engine. Needs to be ridden or at least loaded, not a good idea to run without the belt IMO. Needs to be ridden and there is a good chance you will get much different results.

Premium Features