• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Cats - Belt Concerns Fixed???

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I am trying to decide which mountain sled to snowcheck... M1100 Turbo 162, proclimb m800 162, or Polaris PRO RMK 163. Has anyone heard if there have been any adjustments or fixes for the belt issues on the Cat 800? Your input is appreciated as these are all great sleds and I am finding it very difficult to choose one!

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I would consider the M1100T versus the ProRMK. Not sure why anyone would take the M800 ovee the ProRMK besides perceived engine reliability. I wouldn't assume the 800s belt problems will be fixed.

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Go with the new PC 800, you won't be disapointed. I'm really liking mine and the 2013 has couple simple up grades for the turning radius etc, which will make it even better. I had an 011 Pro and l like my PC 10 times better. Much better power out of the box and with some simple mods like I've done, these things rip. The new 084 belt seems to be working really good on them as well. I have over 200 miles now on the new 084 belt, riding it hard in deep heavy snow, climbing everything in sight and my belt is holding up great. Same riding conditions with my 083 belt, it was pulling the cords. Since my jackshaft update and new 084 belt, everything has been great and I ride the sh!t out of this thing.....

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
2 weeks ago i went on a 3 day ride with 8 guys in idaho and wyoming...best snow of the year, with 2 - 3 feet of light powder...we had a (factory Pushturbo yamaha), 4 current model ski-doos, 1 800 proride, 1 800 dragon, and my 1000 mod cat (na)....of these stock, plus clutching sleds the doos' were clearly the highmark, go thru the snow champs....i was considering snochecking a new poo, but after this ride left me so unimpressed i changed my mind, lest someone yell foul, the pro was set up by a dealer with a very good reputation, and the rider was at least group average....we also had a couple of other guys ride it, with no better results....lack of performance coupled with a less than stellar engine reputation? don't think so....the poo did better in tight trees, as long as it wasn't too deep or steep...the yami did half decent on the open climbs, but struggled elsewhere....we towed the dragon out the second day, only 3 rides on the 3rd engine....that rider rode the backup sled, a 2010 m8 which was a pretty close match for the ski-doos...my lightweight mod 1000 easily dominated climbing, but i have another 4-5 grand in the sled, so i don't count that as being on the same playing field...as far as snochecking goes, i would buy the m8, except that the clutching is problematic, and i don't think cat has a solution (the belt is a bandaid to the real problems)...i also rode the cat 1100 turbo, much more impressive than the yamaha, but just too heavy in trees and the deeper snow, well let's just say it was a struggle...that leaves me with the new skidoo, which seems to be a solid performer, with a couple of new ideas on handleing, wish i could get a demo ride.....a couple of buds who have ridden it came away impressed and are snochecking them...black 163 has a nice ring to it...:face-icon-small-blu

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
2 weeks ago i went on a 3 day ride with 8 guys in idaho and wyoming...best snow of the year, with 2 - 3 feet of light powder...we had a (factory Pushturbo yamaha), 4 current model ski-doos, 1 800 proride, 1 800 dragon, and my 1000 mod cat (na)....of these stock, plus clutching sleds the doos' were clearly the highmark, go thru the snow champs....i was considering snochecking a new poo, but after this ride left me so unimpressed i changed my mind, lest someone yell foul, the pro was set up by a dealer with a very good reputation, and the rider was at least group average....we also had a couple of other guys ride it, with no better results....lack of performance coupled with a less than stellar engine reputation? don't think so....the poo did better in tight trees, as long as it wasn't too deep or steep...the yami did half decent on the open climbs, but struggled elsewhere....we towed the dragon out the second day, only 3 rides on the 3rd engine....that rider rode the backup sled, a 2010 m8 which was a pretty close match for the ski-doos...my lightweight mod 1000 easily dominated climbing, but i have another 4-5 grand in the sled, so i don't count that as being on the same playing field...as far as snochecking goes, i would buy the m8, except that the clutching is problematic, and i don't think cat has a solution (the belt is a bandaid to the real problems)...i also rode the cat 1100 turbo, much more impressive than the yamaha, but just too heavy in trees and the deeper snow, well let's just say it was a struggle...that leaves me with the new skidoo, which seems to be a solid performer, with a couple of new ideas on handleing, wish i could get a demo ride.....a couple of buds who have ridden it came away impressed and are snochecking them...black 163 has a nice ring to it...:face-icon-small-blu
Good to know? You didn't have a pro climb with so why post this here?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
I would consider the M1100T versus the ProRMK. Not sure why anyone would take the M800 ovee the ProRMK besides perceived engine reliability. I wouldn't assume the 800s belt problems will be fixed.

reasons i like my cat over a pro rmk

1 proven engine reliability, pull and go, truth being told recently the pro rmks are going down like flys, its being evident its not if its when. they remind me of the older revs, kickass for 800-1200 miles.
2 better suspension, smoother down the trails to the pow
3 stronger rear tunnel and a bumper that will pull a sled or another broken down buddy.
4 you can put spare gas on the back
6 the motors got more hp
7 vertical adjustable steering posts
8 12 volt accessory rail is nice
9 standing rails you can rely on.
10 it isnt as picky with fuels
11 4 spark plugs means you never foul them in over 5k on M's i change them cause i feel bad but never have fouled them.
12 the bogies tied together in the back are strong!
13 some people are getting away with a belt half the price of poos
14 a-arms are cheaper, and easy to change, and you usually only bend the bottom one if you do.

i could keep going???

the 2013 incentives for snow checks are nice from both manufacturers. the cats will be refined from this year and turned out to be a pretty reliable sleds for a first year so it will only get better.

the 2013 poo has a lot of new tech on it, i like it and hope its reliable but worry the heck out of putting the braking 100% reliant on a belt you blow that belt where i ride and your sled could be in 100 peaces with no brakes by the time it gets to the bottom of the 3-4 k ft pulls we do. can you say learn to hockey stop? and will they warranty that belt? they will a chain. how expensive is this belt? will they now require two 200$ belts in your backpack?

im snow checking one or the other too, im thinking this year go cat, next year if the tech proves reliable on the poo and there motor changes prove reliable i would consider the poo, as thats the year cats first starting to build there own motors.(2014)

-Aksnopro

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
Good to know? You didn't have a pro climb with so why post this here?
...if you read the question posed in the opening post, you will see that at least some input was in my post about 2 of the three sleds in question....and the bigger question was concerning what to snocheck...in that light, the answer was justified

Last edited:

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Thanks for all your input, keep it coming! It is difficult with the negative info on the PC 800 vs. so much positive on the Pro RMK. Many people are posting negatives without riding both sleds... I am only 150 lbs so not a lot of weight to throw around to maniuplate the 1100 turbo, however it is less weight than we rode 5-7 years ago with half the horsepower. On my xf 100 turbo I have found that the power can partially compensate for the wide ski stance and heavy weight, but still does not compare to any true mountain sled with 38 inch ski stance and 2.25 inch or deeper track.

Arctic Cat's belt issues with the 800 proclimb are still worrisome because no dealer can tell me definitively at this point that the concern has been addressed....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The pro is a really good backcountry sled, the best out of the box, but lacks in everyway in the engine department, but shines in how well it works chassis wise. All depends on ryder style and what you plan on doing.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Whats this have to do with belt concerns

This isn't a thread about belt concerns, its which sled to snocheck... And personally, if my sled was without motor for that long because the manufacturer, I probably would take that heavily into consideration! I love my 800 pc 162. My argument is that every time I've ridden it, I've had a blast. It's not perfect, or the most powerful, or the lightest, but I have fun, and thats why I bought it.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
got the js update done on my pc800 lowered the gearing at same time.

really woke up this sleeping giant, the cat 800 motor is so strong, it just keeps pulling....
i have both the polaris and the cat, the cat just keeps pulling, the new chassis is good, but it needs new SKIS!!!!!!!!!!

my opinion,

if you ride trees 90% of the time, get the polaris, with a extended warranty for the motor!!! if your worried!

if you ride trees, climb hills, trails, ditch bang,,, a little of everything, get the cat 800

if you like going up steep, and deep, get the 1100t,,

my clutching on my pc800 feels very good now, i abused the 083 this last weekend for 2 days and it held...

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I am in the same boat. It's really sad that you have to decide between the lesser of two evils with all of the technology we have these days. I get disappointed when I read both this section and the PRO RMK section. May have to continue ole reliable - my '09 M1000 !!

Cat has to show me HOW they have fixed their clutching issues (vs throwing a stronger belt at it) before I jump on board for a '13, and Poo and their motors , well that's the same story. Would love a PRO RMK , but everyone's answer is - get the 4-yr warranty. What about the time you miss riding waiting for a new motor? I am befuttled at this point - see what Fall holds I guess.

I am trying to decide which mountain sled to snowcheck... M1100 Turbo 162, proclimb m800 162, or Polaris PRO RMK 163. Has anyone heard if there have been any adjustments or fixes for the belt issues on the Cat 800? Your input is appreciated as these are all great sleds and I am finding it very difficult to choose one!

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
I am in the same boat. It's really sad that you have to decide between the lesser of two evils with all of the technology we have these days. I get disappointed when I read both this section and the PRO RMK section. May have to continue ole reliable - my '09 M1000 !!

Cat has to show me HOW they have fixed their clutching issues (vs throwing a stronger belt at it) before I jump on board for a '13, and Poo and their motors , well that's the same story. Would love a PRO RMK , but everyone's answer is - get the 4-yr warranty. What about the time you miss riding waiting for a new motor? I am befuttled at this point - see what Fall holds I guess.

I jumped to a Pro 800 black 155".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Jan 1, 2008
I have been riding my 1100t with the mods that I have made with the exhaust and clutching and it works very well. I love the engine. I am snowchecking two 800 pro rmk sleds with the new belt drive.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
We are all spoiled and expecting too much! $11,500 for a 160 horse, fully capable mountain sled that you couldn't build for twice that 5 years ago. Ten years ago, sleds were the same price. They are actually cheaper now, considering inflation. I have seen guys do things on a TM8 and a Proclimb that was unheard of a few years ago.
I want over 150 horse, I want 400 pounds, I want belts to last 2000 miles, I want this all now on a newly designed chassis. When you look at it, the sled is the CHEAPEST part of sledding! $40K truck, pulling a $15K trailer, wearing $2000 in Klim gear, paying $250 a weekend for hotels, $200 a weekend in fuel, $100 for food, if you drink the sky is the limit there. (I used to drink a lot. ) Lol.
Polaris is replacing engines, I am sure they don't want to but they have to, to continue to sell sleds.
Cat will work out whatever they need to work out and take care of it. The belt was an obvious band-aid to get guys through the winter, I am sure it is not what they consider the final fix! I bet that we all have our sleds recalled for an update before next winter.
That said, I am about to Snowcheck me another kitty, meow!
I ditched the full mod M1000 for a stock PC800 and it is going to stay stock, as I am having ten times the fun on it over the M1000.
Ride what you will have the most fun on!!

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Thanks everyone for your input.. Right now I am leaning towards the AC PC 800... Only a few dealers will take my XF 1100 turbo 50 edition and I would rather trade than go through the hassle of selling the sled myself. The next few days in West Yellowstone I will be riding with friends with 2 pro rmk 800 (2012) so we will give them a good ride and am hoping to find a M1100 turbo to try and see how it handles, preferably with the narrow A arms.. If it is maneuverable then I would prefer that as the 4 stroke reliability is really unbelievable in a snowmobile! Having said that, if our local dealer would take my trade then I would definitely snowcheck a 2013 pro rmk. Ironic, AC's sled problems are helping them to sell another sled since dealers don't want to take these as trades!

Premium Features