• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit Sidehilling ?

S

SnowmoKid

Apr 19, 2011
south dakota
I had a xp the whole first part of winter and thought it was great... until my dad got a m8:lol:. You could hold a sidehill for days on the m8, but with the xp you can still hold a sidehill, but its just unpredictable and wants to ride flat. I heard the 2011 and 2012's are better but i personally think you should stick with cat.:face-icon-small-coo

I had a xp the whole first part of winter and thought it was great... until my dad got a m8:lol:. You could hold a sidehill for days on the m8, but with the xp you can still hold a sidehill, but its just unpredictable and wants to ride flat. I heard the 2011 and 2012's are better but i personally think you should stick with cat.:face-icon-small-coo

Daddys sled? I rode a M8 a few times this year doesnt ride any better then a XP.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hey snowmobiler,
There was one 2011 with custom suspension that came close to sidehilling like my m8 but couldn't hold the line. For a xp I was impressed and it wouldn't be very often you would need to take it that far anyway. Anything I have done on the m8 I have done on the m1000. Setup on the m1000 is just as important. If anyone wants to call bs on what I am saying, I'll give you $$$ to prove me wrong when the snow flies. (Someone out there has to be able to do it, I would still like to see it with my own eyes) It may be possible but the M is easier. The PRO might be even better.

Just about any aftermarket suspension on any sled will work better if setup right.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It amazes me how hard XP's are to sidehill

3-27-10110.jpg

3-27-10111.jpg

3-27-10112.jpg

3-27-10113.jpg

3-27-10114.jpg

DAMN...Just can't Sidehill an XP

5-30-10MemorialWeekend054.jpg

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
dont know if its been mentioned because I didnt want to read the whole thread. I have slp spinldes on my sled, makes side hilling and dangling the sled much easier

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
My 09 sidehills just fine. I can do it all day long. It'll be even easier when I put a shorter riser and the 2011 A-arms on.

For guys to say that they can't sidehill any sled at all is an admission of a lack of skill and they should probably be sitting at home knitting with the wife. ;)

I have ridden all three lightweight 2-strokes. I can sidehill all of them. I don't like the M series, feels rough and handles poorly, the Dragon and the new Pro are way too tippy and take some getting used to but easily done. Personally I like my XP, it's the happy medium.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
fyi This is all summer talk, accept the part of paying someone to prove me wrong.lol
Never said I couldn't, just said it wont do it as easy as the M and that I haven't been on a xp long enough to prove to myself it can't be done.

Thanks for the pics,
but when some said sidehilling I was thinking more along the lines of steep hills, you know the ones that get so steep its nearly impossible, they all sidehill in pow but when the snow is not so great then what, the M is the most predictable.

For someone who refers to a sled being too tippy obviously has not used the sled to its full potential and maybe you should just stay at home and stay out of the way.

IMG_20110514_150533.jpg

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
a longtrack m is like side hilling a heavy submarine.dive captain dive.doos suspension is better for side hilling.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Daves are photo shopped and the other one is of cats stuck trying to get up into the treeze .no doo there. If you can put a quad on 2 wheels you can sidehill a xp. I don't get the debate every 2 months about summits being a bad sidehilling machine. You all have seen them do it in a movie and on the internet. If You would put the same amount of effort into it as you do trying to get some you would no how easy it is.

Rant over.:becky:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Daves are photo shopped and the other one is of cats stuck trying to get up into the treeze .no doo there. If you can put a quad on 2 wheels you can sidehill a xp. I don't get the debate every 2 months about summits being a bad sidehilling machine. You all have seen them do it in a movie and on the internet. If You would put the same amount of effort into it as you do trying to get some you would no how easy it is.

Rant over.:becky:

The pic I posted the cat on the left is stuck against a tree because the hill was to steep to stop (got a little out of control actually and luckily found a tree with the ski). Right in the middle of the pic is where a xp was stuck and I intentional dropped over then hill turned it sideways and stopped my sled above the xp to help the guy get out, spring snow. I went and helped the other cat get out of his bind and then got on my sled and rode it to the right sidehilling/sliding sideways back down hill into the trees to keep playing.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
a longtrack m is like side hilling a heavy submarine.dive captain dive.doos suspension is better for side hilling.

I didn't know submarines where so maneuverable,

More photoshop....this is the older XP, the one that is IMPOSSIBLE to sidehill...LOL
Hope he doesn't mind me posting his handywork :face-icon-small-hap....the heavy spring snow and steep hill must make it easier??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrubPF9stY4&feature=player_embedded#at=25

I'm still thinking of steeper stuff, but sweet pic and vid

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
That hill is alot steeper than it looks.... Having had a M (and loved it!), once I got used to the XP I'm more comfortable on it and can put it places I could not put my M. It's all in the setup and adjusting riding style. I can no longer ride an M, they feel tankish and primitive in comparison. Kind of like comparing the 1M chassis to the M-chassis. Both good in their own way, but one has a clear advantage once a guy gets used to it. Took me most of a season.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
That hill is alot steeper than it looks.... Having had a M (and loved it!), once I got used to the XP I'm more comfortable on it and can put it places I could not put my M. It's all in the setup and adjusting riding style. I can no longer ride an M, they feel tankish and primitive in comparison. Kind of like comparing the 1M chassis to the M-chassis. Both good in their own way, but one has a clear advantage once a guy gets used to it. Took me most of a season.

For sure, the 09 and newer M is a heck of lot better, so when I am talking about a M I'm talking about a 09 and newer, mine also has reworked suspension and one has a KMOD which is a huge improvement on both.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
cats are like 50 to 60 pounds heavier than a xp.so its way harder to sidehill that fat.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
cats are like 50 to 60 pounds heavier than a xp.so its way harder to sidehill that fat.

xp's are like 40lbs heavier than a PRO so that must mean they are the best. My sleds are lighter than stock xp's

When I say steep I am talking about slopes that if you put a sled on it completely horizontal and had the skis horizontal the track would not touch the ground, only one ski and the tunnel, you have to go across the hillside with the sled nearly vertical sliding sideways to maintain traction.

Last edited:
Premium Features