• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E tech vs power tek

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
an alternative to the $$ conscious

I was contemplating this very same scenario prior to this season. I have had an 05', 06', 07', 08, 09' rev and XP's.
I went back to an 08' x 154 for this season simply because it had 1/3rd the mileage my 09' had and it's an x model. All the updates have been done and I stole it for $5200! So, I then turned around and had a SHR860 kit it in and haven't been happier (so far).
So, for less than 7K I will have an xp that will have more HP than an un-proven E-tec. I have been caught up in all of BRP's "new" sled/technology for years and couldn't stomach doing it again this year, let alone doing all their R&D as we have in previous years.
Think of it this way, 4 year old chassis (yes refined) with a new motor. Sound familiar? Knowing BRP's trends, expect this motor in a new chassis for next year. Just sayin!

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
LOL. p-tek ....e-tec / head-ache.....tooth-ache. Both tough choices.

D
Mar 3, 2008
we have both 09 860 and etech both 146 the etech cant beat the 860 on the hill or on the road ,that being said it would take a 860 to beat the etech, I haven't seen a stock ptek that would touch it, even with a longer track.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sleds

Went up today with my 08 146 rooster built clutching, a 2010 X with slp pipe can head with the clutching set up well by the local dealer. This sled also had a holz alpha X. The last sled was a bone stock free ride. The free rides mid range was awesome. It had everything the 2010 x had and made my sled look like a pile of crap

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I'm glad you got to ride ride one and compare to a modded sled, the e-tec pulls hard. Now just waiting for paul and his gang at roosterbuilt to get a kit together so that etec power can get to the snow better:face-icon-small-hap

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Edfast. Were you comparing equal track lengths? Your 08 should not be much different than the 10 if all it has is slp pipe and clutching. Comparisons are hard unless you are comparing very similiar sleds. I will say that the etecs run good but I think people might be a little surprised with the comparisons once they put the sleds head to head in really deep snow. Comparing the sleds in a drag race will give very positive results for the etecs.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

My 08 is a 146
The 10 with all the goodies was a 154
11 was a freeride 154

The power is just there. It is a weird kind of power but always seems to be there. We were not in real deep snow, Maybe a couple feet on a real long hill and I was embarrased. The 2 154s were close but the freeride had a heavier rider and still put a few sled lengths on. I am snow checking one next year is all I can say. Hope the chassis holds out.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
ive had numerous etec 163 sleds head to head with my 163 everest. i run the 2.5 and they cant touch me. all it takes is a 700$ track byebyebye

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I own both, and the e-tec engine feels like a big bore, and I only have 60miles on mine so far. stock vs stock my 09 never felt this strong brand new.

You must comparing the e-tec to a dismall BB. Listen my 860 BB with Jaws twins would make your e-tec look and ride like a little kids sled. I can understand the excitement for your new sleds...cheers, but lets try to keep the topics at least a little realistic. :face-icon-small-coo

Sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds looking at the sicky pages of your old mans Hustler mags:peep:

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
You must comparing the e-tec to a dismall BB. Listen my 860 BB with Jaws twins would make your e-tec look and ride like a little kids sled. I can understand the excitement for your new sleds...cheers, but lets try to keep the topics at least a little realistic. :face-icon-small-coo

Sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds looking at the sicky pages of your old mans Hustler mags:peep:
BB I rode had dynoed nice #'s,and had just a dyno port pipe on it, and it ran well but I havn't rode a BB yet that actually impressed me anyway and yes I've rode a few, listen freddy you've said that adding jaws pipes on you BB was no comparsion to another 860BB anyway so all other BB's are dismail to you. Now go finish your hustler mag.
STOCK FOR STOCK the p tec has nothing over the e-tec. Now my set up 09 will out climb my 2011. without even putting a can on my 2011 this has been the best out of the box performing sled I ever owned.
Are U listning sean?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
BB I rode had dynoed nice #'s,and had just a dyno port pipe on it, and it ran well but I havn't rode a BB yet that actually impressed me anyway and yes I've rode a few, listen freddy you've said that adding jaws pipes on you BB was no comparsion to another 860BB anyway so all other BB's are dismail to you. Now go finish your hustler mag.
STOCK FOR STOCK the p tec has nothing over the e-tec. Now my set up 09 will out climb my 2011. without even putting a can on my 2011 this has been the best out of the box performing sled I ever owned.
Are U listning sean?

stock for stock etec hands down there is a difference, this is on 08/09 models v 2011. I hear the 2010 p-tecs makes a little more power then the 08-09 versions.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Are U listning sean?

A well built 860BB will beat ur e-tec. IMHO the twins give impressive gains. You must not have a very good 860 with the comment "I own both, and the e-tec engine feels like a big bore". I am in Northern BC, if you ever want to test your etec would be happy to help set the record straight.

Last edited:
T

teamthunderf**ked

Jan 11, 2009
cherry point ab
the only reason to upgrade to the etec over a 860 is to put boost on it and take advantage of its narrow ski stance p.s. u yankees r lucky bastards a 163 etec x is over 15 grand up here and the sleds come from canada where the hells the justice in that

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
A well built 860BB will beat ur e-tec. IMHO the twins give impressive gains. You must not have a very good 860 with the comment "I own both, and the e-tec engine feels like a big bore". I am in Northern BC, if you ever want to test your etec would be happy to help set the record straight.

caper rode my 880bb which was a strong runner, i sold it this summer to pfi572 and he did some more magic to the susp, its over on snowandmud, anyway the thread started as to which sled this gentleman should go with a 800r or e tec, and i will tell you a e tec will outrun a 800r its plain and simple, i have a 3" track on mine with a bunch of other goodies and i bet it would of gave my 2.5" 880bb a run. twin pipes are a big gain no doubt about it but who brought up twin pipes?? of cource the track is a large difference on my e tec but i dont have to pay another 2500 for a bigbore either. so yes the e tec is a impressive engine and i have only 180 miles on it and is worth the difference in price.

T

teamthunderf**ked

Jan 11, 2009
cherry point ab
agread it would be stupid to buy a p tec over a e tec
ETEC
more power
less oil
less fuel
turbo friendly
PTEC
less electronics average sledder can work on it on the hill