• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 voltage idle?

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Have a 700cc lay down, at idle I am getting about 11.4v AC from the accessory plug behind the speedometer. When I rev the motor a little, the voltage drops considerably to 6-9v AC. I have added a rectifier regulator to try and run gauges on, no dice. When I plug the regulator rectifier in, the headlights dim, and it puts out 5-6v DC power at the plug.

I am at a loss. I've been working on this thing for 3 years I just want to ride the damn thing.
http://youtu.be/PQL3tk4qwFo

Bought a 12v rectifier regulator to put on my sled to change the 12v AC into 12v DC for my air fuel gauge. I just got it, threw together a diagram on how I wanted to wire it, and just finished putting it together and on the sled. Have my gauges hooked up to the rectifier, the boost gauge works flawlessly, it use to be on AC current and it would bounce around all over the place between 2-6 vacuum. Now when idling it's very steady and consistent, no bouncing sround. But the bad news is the AFR gauge isn't working, I disconnected the rectifier and took my volt meter to it, it was only putting out 5.6-5.8v DC, disconnected the AC connection and tested my sled. It is putting out around 11.4v AC. My regulator/rectifier is rated to 10amps, for 12v DC.

Here's how I tried to wire the regulator rectifier first.

tried something new now, the whole body of the rectifier is aluminum. the underside of the rectifier had a hole in it perfect for a ground wire. So I shoved a metal screw with a ground wire into it, and along with the bottom of the rectifier being raw aluminum, I just screwed the thing to my bulkhead to make sure I had an efficient ground. Ran my wires to my gauge, I used 10ga. Now the it works even less effective as last night. Now at idle there's not enough juice to even function the boost gauge.

Heres some pictures. I have the wires colour coded so there's no way I messed them up. I also have the harness at the hood colour matched so black to black white to white.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
My first thought is that you are drawing too much power from that accessory plug. If it's putting out ~6V, then it is definitely the lighting coil, and I don't think it can really handle much.

Keep in mind the rectifier itself has to step up the voltage, so you are drawing 2x the current, plus AFR gauges use quite a bit of power to heat the sensor, probably 1-1.5A on it's own. It doesn't matter that your rectifier can output 10A if the coil can only put out 5A(I made this number up)

Secondly, It seems odd that DC negative would be the same connection as AC negative, I would think DC + goes to your gauge, then DC - coming out of the gauge goes to chassis ground. Don't quote me on this. The rectifier did come with install instructions right?

Premium Features