• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Unrealistic Expectations - M1100 Turbo ?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Guys:

Been thinking about this after looking at some of the "turbo hill pull" posts that Duke and others have been putting up on youtube.

I am under the opinion that most of you yammie guys that have turboes your sleds, are running more than 177 HP (That the new Cat turbo has)

Is this assumption correct?

I think alot of guys getting the new Cat T1100 think they have the same, or near the same HP numbers you guys are pulling. Some of these pulls seem to require much more HP and track speed than what the new Cat will likely put out stock.......

I am thinking that alot of guys are going to be dissappointed because they purchased a "turbo" and maybe won't pull those chutes like the turbo yammie guys do.....

Not to get in a brand bashing war (I have ordered a new T1100 myself), but what are you guys pulling HP wise with your turbo set-ups?

Can you guys talk more about your set-ups, and what the stock Cat T1100 guys are likely to experience?

I want the pioneers view of what us Cat turbo guys are in for..........

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Guys:

Been thinking about this after looking at some of the "turbo hill pull" posts that Duke and others have been putting up on youtube.

I am under the opinion that most of you yammie guys that have turboes your sleds, are running more than 177 HP (That the new Cat turbo has)

I think alot of guys getting the new Cat T1100 think they have the same, or near the same HP numbers you guys are pulling. Some of these pulls seem to require much more HP and track speed than what the new Cat will likely put out stock.......

I am thinking that alot of guys are going to be dissappointed because they purchased a "turbo" and maybe won't pull those chutes like the turbo yammie guys do.....

Not to get in a brand bashing war (I have ordered a new T1100 myself), but what are you guys pulling HP wise with your turbo set-ups?

Can you guys talk more about your set-ups, and what the stock Cat T1100 guys are likely to experience?

Some sled rag just did a comparison between the new cat turbo and a Nytro with a 180 kit, and they pretty much said a stock 800 was closer to the cat than the cat was to the Nytro.
I think the difference in track speed was around 20 mph. I don't think 3hp can make a 20 mph diff.:face-icon-small-con

There is no way that 1100 Cat will be close to a 270-300 hp Nytro unless they are running over 25 lbs boost.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Guys:

All those sleds in the you tube videos are stock.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
I have ordered a 1100T cat and dont expect it to run with my 270hp nytro at all. Nor do I believe anyone else is hopefully expecting that.

BUT I have seen a 180 hp Mcx run and that is very impressive, I really thing the new Turbo 1100 162 Power claw will give a 180 Nytro a run or beat it - I think beat it with the better factory skid and updated platform.

I could be wrong tho as I never seen the 1100T run.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I think there are going to be alot of disappointed "Snow-checkers" if they are hoping to pull them from a crate and be comparable to a custom Nytro. :face-icon-small-sho

The sleds in the video clips are running 270 + hp and are proven, tested engines/chassis's. Cat has alot of proving to do to be in the same class as Yamaha for performance and reliablity IMO.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Don't forget guys. We are really talking apples and oranges here.

177HP 1100cc turbo cat. Running pump gas, with full factory warranty.

VS

280hp nytro turbo running lots of boost on full race gas.

So they really aren't in the same league and anyone thinking they should be is crazy.

Now turn up the Cat and run full race gas and you will have a comparable test. Or drop the nytro down to pump gas boost and again it should be close.

Time will tell.

Lots of keyboard racing going on. Makes the summer go faster but in the end doesn't do crap. :)

Thunder

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I think there are going to be alot of disappointed "Snow-checkers" if they are hoping to pull them from a crate and be comparable to a custom Nytro. :face-icon-small-sho

The sleds in the video clips are running 270 + hp and are proven, tested engines/chassis's. Cat has alot of proving to do to be in the same class as Yamaha for performance and reliablity IMO.

Agreed!

I just think that alot of guys are thinking "Now I have a turbo, I should be able to point this at any hill I want and pull it like those yammie guys do"

Myself, I bought a four stroke that happened to have a turbo on it. In other words, I wanted to get away from the 2-stroke reliability issues, and have a clean quieter motor that will last me 10 years of riding (I tend to be a buy and hold type of guy, my last sled was a 99' Summit X). A by product of my thinking is that "Oh my gosh, it has 177HP at elevation to boot"

Another question for you guys.........

I have not looked for awhile at the capacity of the T1100 fuel tank. I think it is something like 10.9 gallons (If memory serves me)

do you think I will need or want to strap on fuel?

What are your experiences with fuel capacity/fuel use on any given day on your Yammies......

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Your still trying to compare the - far from stock high hp Nytros, with your stock cat.

Remember the cat can be cranked very easy to 270 hp - still wont run with a custom Nytro.

Stock 1100T should compare with a stock skid 180 HP Mcx Turbo Nytro - and like I said a 180 hp Nytro runs VERY strong - as in look out 800 & 1000 class sleds of every brand.

Turbo Yami as you say needs to carry extra fuel with the stock tank, the cat has a larger stock tank, but still will need extra fuel on big snow days.

By the way I have not seen anyone post anywhere that the Stock 1100T is going to whup some big HP Nytro *** - that would be very unrealistic ! (But with way I run my TNytro at times it is not
unrealistic that someone on a stock 1100T will hand me an *** whupin)

Last edited:
Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway

VS

So they really aren't in the same league and anyone thinking they should be is crazy.

Now turn up the Cat and run full race gas and you will have a comparable test. Or drop the nytro down to pump gas boost and again it should be close.

Time will tell.

Lots of keyboard racing going on. Makes the summer go faster but in the end doesn't do crap. :)

Thunder

:nono::nono:

All Nytros here(Norway) run around 15-17 psi boost, all on premium pumpgas. No one can afford racegas anyway, prices are insane.
Mostly mcx 270 kits and a few Impulse and powderlites.

And this is from sealevel to max 3000 ft.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
...............By the way I have not seen anyone post anywhere that the Stock 1100T is going to whup some big HP Nytro *** - that would be very unrealistic ! (But with way I run my TNytro at times it is not
unrealistic that someone on a stock 1100T will hand me an *** whupin)

I have not seen that either......

Just thinking alot of guys thinking they might be close to some of those "extra boosted" yammies though.......

I just hope they are not going to be dissappointed thats all.....

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington

VS

I think were are more talking about the Yamaha 180's, which in some cases do come with a factory warranty. They do run on pump gas, and they run about half as much boost as the TM1100. Very much 'apples to apples'

As far as power goes, i don't ever see the TM 1100 being any kind of competition to the nytro or the apex with its current motor package.

But the sled as a whole could be a different story. If the chassis is as good as they claim, it could make up for what it lacks under the hood.

I just want to know how long until someone puts a TApex motor in the M1100 chassis.......

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Some sled rag just did a comparison between the new cat turbo and a Nytro with a 180 kit, and they pretty much said a stock 800 was closer to the cat than the cat was to the Nytro.
I think the difference in track speed was around 20 mph. I don't think 3hp can make a 20 mph diff.:face-icon-small-con

There is no way that 1100 Cat will be close to a 270-300 hp Nytro unless they are running over 25 lbs boost.

Found this over on maxsled.com last week..probably what you're thinking..

Enter the Boost Fairy. We got to spend the day on both the turbo and supercharged versions and all I can say is “YEE FRIGGIN’ HAW”. Both of the boosted options make silly levels of power. To give you a comparison, we found a long hill, maybe 500 yards, with 18” of powder on top of a good firm base. Hill was maybe a 25 degree slope, nice open gentle pull. Run the 800 ProRMK or 800 E-TEC Summit up it and you’ll hit 35-40 mph and pull over the top. M1100T, 50mph and pulling hard. Nytro turbo and the skis will be wagging in the air and you’ll see 70mph if you have the, well courage, to hold the loud lever open the whole way. Yamaha says the boost option gives you 180’ish HP… yea, you get every bit of that and probably more. If I was betting I would say it’s closer to 195. It takes the relatively docile Nytro MTX and makes it a ski packing rocket. It doesn’t matter who gets on it, they get off with a big grin. A couple of our less experienced mountain riders (read flatlanders never been over 500 feet in elevation) were down right intimidated by it. Either boost option is actually very smooth. No harsh hits and just pulls good and strong through the RPM range. I would say the turbo has a bit more on the top end than the supercharger, but that might just be a perception thing… the turbo is a bit louder and has more of a growl to it than the supercharger does. Supercharger is probably a bit easier to ride through the trees, it was slightly smoother off idle than the turbo.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB

VS

Time will tell.

Thunder

I am running an MCX 270 kit and have been running just pump premium. 16 lbs boost at sea level and increases from there. Ran perfect all year with no need for race gas.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Good input guys!, I appreciate the feedback so far.....

I have a lot to learn, being a "noob" to anything turbocharged.

Keep it coming!

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
If I got one .....warrenty would be off right away, cause there would be more boost or a bigger turbo.....but the chassis i think would be good....maybe a baker skid...if i were to go to a cat that would be one of the bigest reasons for my choice..the chassis.... 250 ish hp would be lots...not looking for the fastest just a good handling sled in the trees and deep snow, and I think it would be from the looks of it....

I agree if someone thinks out of the box this sled will be pulling like the tyammys ...not going to happen with out some extra cash.....

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
why even run a turbo 4 stroke. that turbo 2 stroke Pro is running hard with these nytros and weights 100lbs less. That pro is 9lbs of boost with a 50/50 mix, probably around 230hpish. Those nytros are 15lbs or better with a 100 race, probably 270ish.

Like i said it is running good with them nytros for half the build cost, why build up a 4 stroke!! So your operating costs and build cost is down in comparison. This is the first real comparison with some real riders that actually know who to tune the engines and chassis.

NM great running sled, hurry up and get a etec done:face-icon-small-hap

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
the first thing will be a new turbo dont expect that little tbo to make much power at elevation. please dont be stupid & think you can just crank the boost to 25lb because the drag guys do it put in race fuel & you will make big power.you will have a dead motor in no time from heat that turbo will make more heat than boost at elevation.do yourself a favour if you want more boost put on a 2860 it will turn that sled into a much better performer without the heat,i think it will have a tuff time with the 2871 because it is a lower rpm sled compared to the nytro.another thing comparing the sleds one is a high rpm 3 cylinder the other a lower rpm 2 cylinder,the higher rpm 3 cylider will make more track speed because of the higher rpm but the 2 cylinder will make a bunch of tork tractor like.but that dosnt equate to track speed its like comparing a dmax to a cummins, its easier to make a dmax fast at the track but the cummins will pull anything.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
why even run a turbo 4 stroke. that turbo 2 stroke Pro is running hard with these nytros and weights 100lbs less. That pro is 9lbs of boost with a 50/50 mix, probably around 230hpish. Those nytros are 15lbs or better with a 100 race, probably 270ish.

Like i said it is running good with them nytros for half the build cost, why build up a 4 stroke!! So your operating costs and build cost is down in comparison. This is the first real comparison with some real riders that actually know who to tune the engines and chassis.

NM great running sled, hurry up and get a etec done:face-icon-small-hap

those 4s only run 50/50 for one & i would say making a little more than 270hp:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features