• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I consider new exhaust headers for my Nytro?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So as I am sitting here awaiting the arrival of the new Skinz under the tunnel exhaust, and looking forward to installing it, I am wondering if at the same time I should swap out the exhaust headers and see if I can't squeeze out a few more ponies?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I have the Excell header into the stock muffler. While it's not a huge gain in horsepower, I would describe it as a more "revy" feel. Power band is wider and the power dosen't fall off as it aproaches 9000 rpm, like before.
For the areas I ride, there is quite a bit of elevation change through out the day. So the wider power band helps make it easier to clutch.HTH

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Still NO comparison is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Under The Tunnel exhaust has NOTHING to do with power or performance. I simply want my tunnel clear and the underside of my seat for storage.

But since the sled will be torn down for the changes, seems like a good opportunity to consider new headers "IF" there is any real advantage to be had from them.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
yep ! there both right . if you don't ride allot of powder a modded nytro is great . but if you get the opportunity to ride powder allot the mcx low booster is a great way to go . you should do a cost break down vs hp gained on a thread maybe ? it would be cool to see IMO

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
I say yes to the aftermarket header. This will compliment the under tunnel exhaust and combine to give you a more useable powerband. An extra 6-8 hp seems fairly important when your not compressing air. When the time comes to add boost, you could do a SC and still benefit from the investment.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
if your planning boost in the future the save your money. if you dont want to boost your sled then go for it get an aftermarket header. if you change your mind you can always sell the header/muffler. imo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This last season I never really found myself in a situation where the nytro was crying out for more power. It pretty much did everything I asked it to.

Granted, this was my first season owning a sled, and the snow was poor at best most of the time.

I am sure as my skill level increases, there will be more opportunity to use "MOAR" power.

But my gut feeling is that I may be trading in the Phazer as a down payment on a new Apex SE for my wife next winter, and that will likely use up every sled dollar I have.

But who knows.
I have seen a lot of turbo kits coming on the swap-meet of late.
Maybe in the middle of the summer there will be a deal just toooo sweat to pass up!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
This last season I never really found myself in a situation where the nytro was crying out for more power. It pretty much did everything I asked it to.
Then why spend the money? If you aren't riding with people that have more power then you, then there really isn't any point to it is there?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
and a apex is not a wifes sled!!!!!!!!!
agreed!! look for a skidoo 600 etec. Nice sled, lightweight, enough power, electric start, and clean running too.

Yah, it ins't a yamaha, but yamaha doesn't make something compatible.. hopefully yet.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
and a apex is not a wifes sled!!!!!!!!!

POWER STEERING

Its not about power, its about their ability to drive the thing.
Both the wife and the daughter complained about how HARD the sleds were to steer. So I am thinking the new power steering will remove that barrier and get them out with me more often.

The girls are 100% trail riders.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
agreed!! look for a skidoo 600 etec. Nice sled, lightweight, enough power, electric start, and clean running too.

Yah, it ins't a yamaha, but yamaha doesn't make something compatible.. hopefully yet.

While I have NOT yet had the opportunity to ride an E-TEC, both of them REFUSE to be anywhere near 2 strokes. Past experiences with the "dirty" 2 strokes have fouled their impression of them.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
One thing to think about is if the sleds are going to be used by anyone else besides the girls. If you have friends or guests, it might be nice to have a capable sled.

As far as the e-tecs are concerned they are really good. Not much smoke if all. You could probably just tell them it is a fourstroke and they might not know the difference. :face-icon-small-ton I have a couple of friends that were pretty sensitive to that issue, and they like the e-tecs just fine.

Also, you could probably pick up 2 used e-tecs for the price of that Apex SE if you find the right deal.

Just some thoughts.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
600 etec..

hell, if your not at extreme elevations, their a blast to ride.

i've actually said i'd ride one if i didn't have piles of $ in a nytro..and i prob would.
with a rkt bb. :)

2 pulls and it starts every time (..if that).

biggest issues i've seen w/ that sled is [of course] header bolts backing/falling out.

they're super good on fuel and oil to boot. even when WOT! :)

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
trail riders?? ya for now until they venture off a little here and there then you'll be looking for something else again. You have to think
further out into the future. I agree they wont even know its a 2 stroke.....get one to try before you buy!

Premium Features