• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical gremlins 2010 Dragon 800 HELP!!!!!!!

Dec 13, 2012
Hi all,

I don't post much on here but love browsing, plenty of great info from knowledgeable sledders.
I'm at the end of my leash with this 2010 Polaris Dragon 155.
Last year at low RPM the gauge and lights started showing signs of low voltage by dimming or not coming on, seemed very minor so I didn't worry about it.
This year, the same thing started happening, but they wouldn't power up until I hit about 6000 RPM, then immediately die when I let off the throttle. Now there is no display at all. Battery is dead, and on the low voltage circuits I can only find 3.5-ish volts DC.
Previous to all this I did the Voltage regulator upgrade to the new part number.
A few weeks ago I took it to my local dealer and they took my $175 and told me it is the stator. Tonight I put a new stator in, and same thing - no DC power.
Now I'm stumped, anyone gone through this?
Anyone have any tests I can run to figure it out? Grounding issue? Test the new stator or the old one now that its out of the sled?

PS - That POS dealer that was going to charge me between $800-1400 to replace a stator. 2 hour job for an AMATUER mechanic in his garage with his 3 year old jumping around, yelling and helping (distracting)
$300 part.
And then what? they order the wrong part for their ****ty diagnosis and who eats it? not them.

C
Oct 29, 2008
Had a similair thing happening to mine. Look behind your secondary, better yet take it off. The speedo sensor wire runs from the jackshaft cover up behind the clutch. It isn't tied off very good. Mine was rubbing against the clutch and wore through the wires. Put a new one on and guages work fine.
Otherwise just check all connections, main plug comin off harness from the guage cluster.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
You said the battery is dead.
Disconnect it and see if you have the problem still. IF they go bad they will cause problems also.

L
Inspect everything - toss the battery

I'll 2nd the dead battery. If it has a shorted cell it will take down the entire system. Unhook the battery, pull or jump start it and see what happens (make sure the disconnected battery leads don't touch anything).

If that doesn't help, inspect EVERY INCH of wire and pull apart every connection. In my 2010 I found two wires that had rubbed through. One was on the harness to the hood right next to the exhaust shield and the other was from the ECU to behind the engine (rubbing against a hose clamp).

When you take apart the connectors, wipe them clean, check for any loose terminals or burnt terminals and apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease.

GOOD LUCK!

destroya

Lifetime Membership
Jul 7, 2013
Colorado
09 RMK 800 155

I am having a similar issue. Except the display cuts completely out and the engine will die. I have gone through the entire wiring harness. The previous owner had a dealer replace the voltage regulator and the ECU. My Local dealer is saying that I have a bad stater. What did you find out on yours?

Premium Features