• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best ski for timbersled bike kit

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
With the help of some friends with wood working tools to cut and form the UHMW. Along with black and white plastic dust all over the garage, two days work, my Gen II ski is ready to try out.

Thanks goes to Allen for trial and error and to my helping friends.

If this works there will be a 2Moto Gen II ski with 2Moto tall carbides and shark fin kit, FOR SALE!

Where did you get the UHMW from? Your ski looks very similar to what I was planning on doing except I wasn't planning on adding the center skag. I know without the center skag it's going to handle like sh*t on the trail but without it I think the off trail performance will be better. I couldn't locate any UHMW locally so I thought I was going to have to use aluminum.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Where did you get the UHMW from? Your ski looks very similar to what I was planning on doing except I wasn't planning on adding the center skag. I know without the center skag it's going to handle like sh*t on the trail but without it I think the off trail performance will be better. I couldn't locate any UHMW locally so I thought I was going to have to use aluminum.

I dont recommend aluminum, aluminum is VERY conductive and will freeze quickly causing buildup and drag. You can probably source some UHMW online. I know I get alot of it out of the boise area.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I dont recommend aluminum, aluminum is VERY conductive and will freeze quickly causing buildup and drag. You can probably source some UHMW online. I know I get alot of it out of the boise area.

Ya I know what your talking about the boards on my sled get iced up really bad but aluminum is cheap and I thought I would powdercoat them to help prevent drag. I will do some more looking around for UHMW, I would much rather work with it than aluminum anyway.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Spokane

Laird Plastics in Spokane has UHMW
http://spokane.lairdplastics.com/

Ausm, are you an Albright? I am from Clarkston and see your in Lewiston.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
With the help of some friends with wood working tools to cut and form the UHMW. Along with black and white plastic dust all over the garage, two days work, my Gen II ski is ready to try out.

Thanks goes to Allen for trial and error and to my helping friends.

If this works there will be a 2Moto Gen II ski with 2Moto tall carbides and shark fin kit, FOR SALE!

You're almost there!!!!! Just a couple inches wider and you'll have it.The front edges of the g2 are angled just right to introduce you to Chuck Norris when you're honking down the trail.

2 g1's side by side work much better.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
TimberSled Gen II ski ride report

Today a couple of us rode with the new TimberSled copy of Gen II ski.
I wanted to compare this ski with the Hawk ski on icey roads and atv/snowmobile rutted trail conditions.
First off the best skis we have ridden with in these conditons have been both the Hawk ski and Gen I ski with the advantage going to the Hawk ski.

Going slow nothing really changed. The front end darted and wanted to wash out. But above 7 mph the new ski tracked very well.
On the icey road the best result was to ride in the grove laid down by the trucks. It tracked good and was easy to keep in the grove while the other skis darted and needed to ride the edge.

On the rutted twoski/atv trails the T/S ski (above 7 mph) was a huge improvment over the Hawk or Gen I. I was timid at first but after getting used to the ski found it easy to pick a line and rail. The rutts had little to no effect. This is the first time a trail ride to the mountain was good FUN.

Once on the mountain and on some (limited) powder the ski handled better than the Hawk ski (worst conditons for the Hawk ski) by a huge margin, on a side hill and when carving a corner. The Gen I ski handles well (better than the Hawk) in these conditions but sinks out of sight in deep fluff. Where the new T/S ski rails in the powder and stays on top.

At this time (more testing needed) the new T/S Gen II ski is the best to ski we have come across. Looking forward to riding in deep powder later this season.

Torpedo

Premium Member
Feb 22, 2008
Eden, Ut
Best Ski for Mtn Horse

So, what kind of top speed on packed snow ie(any snow previously
mashed down) are you reaching. We are seeing 50 mph with our design.
Powder performance is not affected. Altho no powder to truely test in(15-18)
soft.

Torpedo

Premium Member
Feb 22, 2008
Eden, Ut
Its a Gen 1 with a modified mount. Just wondering if we are
making progress against the norm. Not done completly. Will post pic's
after some more refinements.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
We are running 48 mph on the GPS

Today in some better powder the ski did great on holding a virgin sidehill but would washout in anothers track. This is with the center keel still atached. I think it would do better w/o the center keel.

Any pix of Torpedo's ski avaibable?:camera:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
clairify

is you top speed on trail conditions (Packed) 48 mph
or are you able to pull 48 mph in the untracked snow? Just wondering

never got a top speed reading with area 51 but hit 38 in third on trail so just want to see how it compares.

Torpedo

Premium Member
Feb 22, 2008
Eden, Ut
Packed Snow Speeds

Don't know what powder speeds are I have to ride a snowmobile
beside him on the pack. Can't do that yet in the powder.Top powder
speeds are slower for sure as snow is very inconsistant.
X-mas events have stopped R& D.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
More clarification please. Is the gearing causing the top speed or is the ski only allowing for those speeds? It's good to see so many working on improving the skis.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Wish it would pull 48 in deep powder

is you top speed on trail conditions (Packed) 48 mph
or are you able to pull 48 mph in the untracked snow? Just wondering

never got a top speed reading with area 51 but hit 38 in third on trail so just want to see how it compares.

My bike will do aprox 60 wound tight. I have been 58 by gps on a logging road with packed snow and 2 to 3" powder. In deep snow, no way.
You know what it is like.
With 50 HP snowbikes are not fast like the 150 HP sleds.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
good

that is what i would expect to see for speed. after some research on the turbo kits for the bikes i'm really looking forward to the HP from boost and cost don't seem crazy as i expected.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ski mod

here are a couple pics of 2 skis i will try next time out. hawk ski with powder mod and twin axis and gen 2 with twin axis mod and lockup kit. what is the concensus with the other mods out there now??? I also put the center section of the fastway kit on my DBL wide hawk ski to try.

Premium Features