• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to SnowHawk

O

OnTheEdge

Jan 10, 2009
Minot, ND
I am looking for a new sled. I used to race dirtbikes so SnowHawk as crossed my mind several times but I have some questions. I love to climb and play in the mountains but want something I can jump.

1. Is it anything like riding a dirtbike?
2. When you get stuck is it as hard to get unstuck as a normal mountain sled?
3. Is the 800 H.O. 151 or 159 good for climbing and still jumpable?
4. Is there performance mods like pipes and chit?
5. How many arms and legs do they run?

any other general comments and help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Don't be lazy!

Do your research, asking such vague questions when this forum has so much information is only going to stack in duplicate what we have allready put out.

You basically have to ask yourself after all the videos, the testimonials, and the pictures, if you are ready for one.

If your answer is yes, then what, wait till the right price comes along, or pay now for what you want for the price the seller needs.

The fact that there are machines for sale at any price with as few ever made, your lucky it's an option.

Get one if you like, you might love it. :)

Riding do not attempt without trying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l118fKX3-xk

Last edited:
D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
I think it is very similar to a dirtbike ,I still keep hitting the foot brake that isint there, a few handleing characteristics are different ,but very similar to dirtbike...so far it has been much easyier than a sled to get unstuck as you can push it on its side and drag it around and it is 400lbs not 5...if you watch you can pick them up cheap as compared to sleds of the same year but the good priced ones dont last long....there are a lot around that are basically unwanted so dont rush...............

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Ahem

....there are a lot around that are basically unwanted so dont rush...............

I think we have gotten used to the fact that getting one right down the street is not an option, most others will have a hard time accepting the word of a seller on average 1,000 miles away.

At most there are twenty available continent wide, the closest from us are three and six hours.

Last edited:
D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
well lets see whitesurf I believe has 4 right now ,one in whistler,one in fernie,4 around alberta,and another place in lower bc that has a few ,what has sold recently ? mine for an unspeakable low price ,my buddies for the same a unheard of price,at least 3 in quenel,a few more out of mackenzie,howies marine had one,and have seen a few in the local buy and sell over the last year ,and a hand full more I have seen come up in alberta,so thats more than 20 either for sale or sold just within a resonable drive from me,and if you noticed most are still for sale so that means hurry up to some,to me it means there is going to be more deals out there,but you guys are right someone needs to buy the high priced ones......hawks are all over with some owners ready to get whatever they can..not trying to throw a wrench in the propoganda guys just saying what is evident if one looks....and you guys are right spend your money on whats available so when the deals come up I dont have to race people, as I want another one...dont get me wrong I love my hawk ,just dont see the pandamonium expressed by the addict....keep your eyes open and money in your pocket and you will find a deal on a hawk......ohhh and "selling fast" how many did I mention that were for sale last year and still for sale now,mine is new and the guy had it advertised all last winter dropped it down to 7 for a BRAND NEW 800 do you get that 7 for a new hawk and he couldnt get it ,and tryed all winter.15 on the reciept, half a tank through and the market would not even give him 7 back, ouch and it was available to everyone here..so I would say the selling fast statment is not accurate to reality.or at least least leads to a manuipulated definition of what fast is.......errrrr is fast really slow, maybe so...

well that may be the case out west. but around here, they are geting hard to find. agian you can find some great deals out there but most need lots of cash in updates to make them work right. i got a smoken deal on my hawk, but to date i have also sunk another $5k+ into it in mods. i would not sell mine now for less the $8500 now. to each there own!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
I've spoken with Peter/Whitesurf his most interesting point was that all though his company's focus was intended on the Explorer the calls come for the Hawk. Those machines you mentioned are recent transplants for more western growth, the type of rider we both get on these things aint gonna leave much left for the next guy, and is going to eventually cultivate enough buyers to excede a hundred hidden jems.

I guess you all ride alone up North!:(

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

It is true that there are still numerous machines in the hands of people who don't love them, and those machines will slowly come to market over the coming years. However, most of the people buying them now have a better understanding of what they are buying and are falling in love with them.

The supply is drying up. I bought 3 this year and I just don't see them ever being offered for sale. Two people from Long Island, one in Pennsylvania, one in NY (friend of buffalowhawk), 3 in Canada (Zertrider, Hellspawn, Predatorr03)and one in Maine just bought machines that I know of. I know of 2 people in Vermont and one in Mass that want machines as soon as they can come up with the money.

At $10-12K new demand for the machines was weak and the machines were plentiful. Now there are but a handful of still "new" machines in existance. I got 2 of them. Interest in the machines is growing with the internet and Youtube providing a look at their capabilities and owners testimonials. Soon demand will outstrip supply and they will not depreciate further. Just like a Yamaha snoscoot/snosport, a Kawasaki 550 Interceptor, 65 mustang, etc.

When the absolute bottom occurs, who cares. These machines are a blast!! Stopping thinking and start acting - just go buy one. It's just not worth missing this season of riding a Hawk to wait for a better deal to try to save $500.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
It was interesting talking with riders this last weekend, most had never seen a Hawk..They where stoked to see us on the mountain, I have to wonder why with quite a few guys in the seattle are having them.. then I realised while Im trying to find riding partners that many here are not riden.. even by the guys who talk the talk on this forum..
The term POSER comes to mind....Yes I am calling you out, and you know who you are:beer;
If you dont get out and ride, why bother???

H
Nov 6, 2009
Just want to say, that I bought my 2006 600 in Oct and only been out riding once since then (not enough snow) although I found it hard to ride,
and hard on the forearms I am not selling it..... at least 'till I give it the season to get use to it.
She is a rare find....sitting in a garage next to exotic cars, it is like new...
and I mean new... paid 6 grand, the owner wouldn't budge a dollar.

My advice: Buy it.. Respect it..Grip it...Rip it..... then decide

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Sorry to hear you still haven't had a second ride. I know it will be much better than your first. I've been out 4 days now and have really settled into it.

My kids have each been out for 3 days sharing a hawk and a sled. The first 2 days they complained as to who had to ride the hawk, now it's who has to ride the sled. They're still intimidated when crossing a nasty water bar, but other than that they are "flying".

I'm to a point where riding the hawk is less effort than riding a sled. It reponds to the lightest input and it absorbs the bumps better.

I can't wait to start jumping this thing!!

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
hawk high mileage day

Dont mean to hijack here but what would represent a high mileage day on a hawk

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I'd say it's about the same for each individual as it would be if they were on a snowmobile.

My snowmobile high mileage day was last year when I ran the B2B (Border to Boarder). 330 miles from the Mass/VT border to the VT/Canada border in 10hours, 50 minutes. I see no reason I couldn't do that again on a hawk and come in under 10 hours. (we could easily cut the hour off from our rest time, not that we could ride much of any faster than we did)

Once you get familar with the machine it's no more effort than riding a sled.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
depends on your trail system....i live where the bumps are endless and the trails are tight and twisty...longest day was around 125 miles and probly the roughest ive seen!(could have rode longer but my old knees had enough!!) if the trails were good and groomed and 10 feet wide....2-300 miles or more wouldnt be an issue....

in the 2 ski world...it would be like comparing a rev riding position sled to an old(early 90's) yamaha v-max. which one could you rider longer on?

Premium Features