• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKINZ statement on Heim Joint Failures

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
LETTER I JUST RECEIVED FROM SKINZ

Chris,
I'm sitting here in Denver hanging out so I thought I would lay out where we are at with the Rod ends.

Obviously, we did not have failures in any of our testing. If we did we would not have used these 1/2-20 rod ends. We are comfortable with the 1/2-20 rod ends and still believe they are suitable. From what we understand, these are used in Mustangs.

All of our reports from the people that have used the new ends are positive and without problems.

We have decided to make the change to the 5/8 lower. Not because we thought our original design was not right but to offset the concerns and perceptions generated online. The larger end would just put everyone at ease.

We are offering to upgrade the customers that aren't comfortable with their 1/2-20 lowers.
They will be able to contact us and we will rework their lowers to the 5/8.

It is important to know that all the filming and development was done with the 1/2-20. This is why we made a movie and made it available for free.

As we were the first company to innovate, develop, and produce the Nytro front end with forward location of 4.5", we wanted people to see the authenticity of the front end and what it could do. We also still think this front end is the most effective compared to the others because of the spindle location.

As stated before, our end game is the customer experience. We are replacing all the 1/2-20 rod ends with new parts. We strongly beloved the first ones were defective. Some seemed to be OK and some weren't. If anyone has any questions, they can call us and we will work it all out. We want everyone to be taken care of.

This is sent from my phone so you may have to fix a couple things.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Hawksworth
Skinz Protective Gear.
320-243-8771
Fax 320-243-2453
www.skinzprotectivegear.com

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Several people in another thread had suggested that a quick fix to this problem would be to just take your lower A-Arms into a local machine shop and have them drilled and tapped for the larger 5/8ths Heim Joints.

I wrote to Skinz and asked them about this.

This is their reply.

We can't advocate they do it themselves but a qualified machine shop could do it. There is plenty of material to drill and tap it.

There would be no warranty unless they return them to us and we do it. This is a straight forward task for a machine shop.

Jeff Hawksworth
Skinz Protective Gear.
320-243-8771
Fax 320-243-2453
www.skinzprotectivegear.com

Sent from my iPhone

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, what are the real options for anyone with a Skinz Concept A-Arm that is worried about a possible failure.

#1.
Call Skinz and ask for the upgraded replacement 1/2" Heim Joints.
They will ship you a set at no cost.

#2.
Box up your lower A-Arms and ship them to Skinz.
They will re-work them and return them to you with a 5/8" Heim Joint.

#3.
Take your lower A-Arms to a local qualified machine shop and have them Drill and Tap them so you can install a 5/8" Heim Joint yourself. But loose your warranty in the process.

As for me personally.
I am going to install the upgraded 1/2" Heim Joint and not worry about it.
Maybe at the end of the season I will send my A-Arms back in to be reworked for the 5/8ths
, but from what I have been told, the new 1/2" will be quite sufficient for me.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
so no word if it was just a "bad batch" put out by the manufacturer or not? just kind of curious. seems to me if some worked and some didnt, they still might want to find out why. especially if they feel the tested product was adequate enough to market. and, was anyone riding in about the same conditions as they were tested in? maybe more snow might have meant less failed parts?

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I am just going to run the 1/2 inch units. Every site that I look at the load rating is really close to the same between the two and I am not worried about it.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I think I am leaning towards running the 1/2 inch units for a while and then swapping them out when Skinz have time to get them overhauled. Hopefully that is an option, but I am definitely going to the 5/8" units.

My rational is that these hiem joints in our application are loaded more by "bending" than shear. What that means is that if you thought of threaded part of these hiem joints as "round" popsicle sticks, and you tried to bend them to the breaking point, this is the principle mode of failure. So as many others have pointed out, more thread thickness, (aka thread diameter) the better it will resist this bending force.

The 1/2 inch joints may work just fine, but like my drag racing friends used to say: There is no replacement for displacement....aka bigger is better.

Happy New Years everyone.

OTM

Premium Features