• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

‘23 damage report

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Incorrect info, there is a rev limiter on stock etecs. Over rev will show up on the gauge with beeps.
The ECM can be removed and sent to the race department for a reflash and the rev limiter is removed in the process.

When the sled backfires it’s probably due to cycling the throttle from 0 to 100% in a overrev condition, weight always needs to be added to these sleds after breakin and after the clutch faces and belt get seasoned in.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
No, there is no rev limiter and has never been. Yes engine might overrev but there is no actual limiter but there is rave adjusting and lean software. We are here way ahead on ecu tuning of etec. Or actually, one shop is. Im surprised how clueless most big tuning companies are what comes to etec.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
No, there is no rev limiter and has never been. Yes engine might overrev but there is no actual limiter but there is rave adjusting and lean software. We are here way ahead on ecu tuning of etec. Or actually, one shop is. Im surprised how clueless most big tuning companies are what comes to etec.

Who is “we” and I guess the skidoo race Department doesn’t know what they are doing? Its a check box on the ecm reprogram form to have the rev limiter removed on a etec race program ecm.

I have had the rev limit flash on the dash of my 2013 xm as well. Rev limit and over rev are two separate parameters, check your owners manual for more details.

25e190ab07bcc3df18609fb048360eec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
23 freeride turbo R
-broken metal boost tube coming off pipe (this part is made in china thanks brp )
-cheap plastic fastener for EGT probe wire melted off and wire was laying on pipe, wire melted
-1 broken exhaust spring
-belt blew at 680 miles.
-tools no longer stay in side panel due to plastic fatigue? i put them in my pack to prevent a clutch catastrophe
-coolant hose chafing on back of muffler
-coolant gurgling sound when stopping sled- i later found radiator cap was not all the way tight from the factory.

broken boost tube may have been broken for a while. i believe this was the cause of my occasional backfiring. a bit of plastic melt on belly pan due to exhaust blowing out broken tube

disassembled and inspected my chain case after the last ride (720 miles) looked absolutely perfect. had none of the issues that were all over the internet.

sled is a riot, best sled i have ever owned.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
23 freeride turbo R
-broken metal boost tube coming off pipe (this part is made in china thanks brp )
-cheap plastic fastener for EGT probe wire melted off and wire was laying on pipe, wire melted
-1 broken exhaust spring
-belt blew at 680 miles.
-tools no longer stay in side panel due to plastic fatigue? i put them in my pack to prevent a clutch catastrophe
-coolant hose chafing on back of muffler
-coolant gurgling sound when stopping sled- i later found radiator cap was not all the way tight from the factory.

broken boost tube may have been broken for a while. i believe this was the cause of my occasional backfiring. a bit of plastic melt on belly pan due to exhaust blowing out broken tube

disassembled and inspected my chain case after the last ride (720 miles) looked absolutely perfect. had none of the issues that were all over the internet.

sled is a riot, best sled i have ever owned.
that sound is likely coolant boiling in the turbo when stopped. service manual says to idle the engine for 30 sec to cool turbo down before killing the engine.
my rad cap was also loose from the factory and didn't know it till rolling the sled to get unstuck and saw coolant on the snow.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Who is “we” and I guess the skidoo race Department doesn’t know what they are doing? Its a check box on the ecm reprogram form to have the rev limiter removed on a etec race program ecm.

I have had the rev limit flash on the dash of my 2013 xm as well. Rev limit and over rev are two separate parameters, check your owners manual for more details.

25e190ab07bcc3df18609fb048360eec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its two different things that we are talking about. Fault mode is different than overreving. Your ECU is not limiting engine rpm in case of too light clutching, light snow conditions or whatsoever. ECU does not cut the ignition, which would be the actual rev limiter. Instead its closing exhaust valves and also lean mapping causing backfiring.

Im not saying that race department doesnt know what they are doing, but the info they give out is very limited and not allways understood properly by the people.

ETEC mapping is very complex and not many companies have the knowledge, time or resourses to dive deep into it. I have seen +10hp gains on stock 850etec just by proper mapping. But its a result of years and years of work.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Pro tip for all 2021-2023 etec owners. There is an issue that sled isnt running good when hot or in warm temperatures. Reason for this is that when system is hot, voltage will drop causing also fuel pressure to drop. Pre -2020 this was not an issue as voltage compensation was enabled as stantard. For some reason, they disabled this feature later on

Your dealer or anybody with buds can enable this feature so your etec will run good also in warm conditions

In buds: Settings -> ECM Variant Coding -> Byte 3 Bit 7 Flyback Voltage Compensation -> Enabled

This setting will extend injectors opening time while system is hot, preserving power better

We have seen big difference especially on spring conditions and on 600s, +100-200rpm and better pull

Premium Features