• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

‘23 damage report

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Let’s talk about all the problems the 23’s had this year. I’ll start with my buddy and I’s sleds in which I did all the maintenance myself. Both 165 expert turbos 1160&1380 miles.

Warranty parts:
1 chain
1 exhaust spring fell in the stator during assembly
1 grip heater

Parts that failed because of the sled design but not warranty:
1 expansion chamber had the weld bracket back on
7 belts
1 throttle cable
17 exhaust springs
1 time guts of the clutch panel exploded
3 ski rubbers ended up with sallazz king for a combined 2000+ miles without issues

Boneheaded parts:
1 upper/lower a arm
1 tie rod
1 clutch intake screen
2 left air intake screens
1 hood
1 air box
1 glove box
2 rear bumpers 1 stock 1 adventure
2 handle bars bent

Seems like a lot more than I’ve been used to but they are lighter and more powerful so you’re going to loose some durability. Seems like between the 2 we had almost every issue complained about.
?hears to better luck on 24’s

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
My 2023 165 Expert 1200 something miles. Pretty much great, no major issues.

1 belt at 929.5 miles.

Pipe back pressure sensor broke off, replaced under warranty.

Odd limp home mode, that was resolved by a new RAVE valve actuator motor.

1 broken exhaust spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

b.e.harding

Feb 16, 2022
Revelstoke
2 clutch intake screens
1 throttle cable

@Turbo Thompson I am curious how your throttle cable failed. Mine snapped on the throttle body side about 3mm up from the barrel end so I figure it must have been nicked or kinked from the factory.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
2 clutch intake screens
1 throttle cable

@Turbo Thompson I am curious how your throttle cable failed. Mine snapped on the throttle body side about 3mm up from the barrel end so I figure it must have been nicked or kinked from the factory.
Mine broke on the throttle block end I’m going to guess it’s because snow kept getting jammed inside building up ice and then trying to force it shut snapped it.
Rode the thing out 13 miles with vise grips could even sidehill. 9DC82285-DFE6-4C2B-89D9-C22420966C55.jpeg

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Cracked vent on clutch side (I clipped a tree).
A small plastic cover near the gas tank popped off.
I just ordered a new track - most damage I've seen in one season to a track but I did hit some stuff under the snow. I doo love the new Doo track though.

5 new sleds in our group (Doos and Poos). All had ripped track lugs. One Poo blew at 9 miles on first day. Lots of issues with the Poos, more than the Doos.

All in all, this season proved how stupidly expensive this sport is, but we still love it.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Front bumper, I'd like to say it just fell off, manufacturer defect, but I can't. 929 flawless miles. 165" 3" turbo r. Zero belts, zero sprockets, zero chains, zero regrets ?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
My 23’ G5 turbo. Not a single problem in about 700 miles. One exhaust spring, but those brake on all 2-stroke exhausts. Maptune stage 1 the last couple hundred miles was a nice add. Check and tightened chain a number of times. One incident with a tree took out a number of parts that are still on back order.

D
Dec 22, 2018
There is NO rev limiter on any etecs. When overreving, engine runs very lean over +8200 rpm. This causes backfire, not a rev limiter. Rave valves also do start to shut down after 8100rpm.

I have driven an 850 etec that has no rave limitations and also flash which is richer on the top, it does pull until 8500rpm no problems. There is no more power on higher rpms, but its long and steady power curve. Why does Doo do this? Probably to extend engine lifetime.

If overreving, go one step down on primary spring end force or add weight to the pivot.

Last edited:
Premium Features