• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 M8 Blown Belt

M
Dec 10, 2007
Edmonton Alberta
Hello i was just wondering if anybody has blown a belt yet i blew one at 67 miles It was broken in properly i talked to my dealer about it and he said my clutching was wrong. I was just breaking the unit in around town at 2500 ft and of course i was clutch out of the create for 6 to 9000ft never been a problem before to ride around town without changing everything over i heard now i am not the only one just wondering how many people have.Of course no warrenty.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i would think you may have more of a problem, we rode ours up from lower than that a couple of times last year and had no problems, even with all the melting problems i had i never used a belt. get it clutched right and see if it happens again. oh and i've never broken in any belt properly!!!

D
Nov 28, 2007
Hello i was just wondering if anybody has blown a belt yet i blew one at 67 miles It was broken in properly i talked to my dealer about it and he said my clutching was wrong. I was just breaking the unit in around town at 2500 ft and of course i was clutch out of the create for 6 to 9000ft never been a problem before to ride around town without changing everything over i heard now i am not the only one just wondering how many people have.Of course no warrenty.

Check and see if the motor mount by the can is missing. Right side if your sitting on the sled. A few were. This would push the alignment out and your dealer would have to warranty the belt.

By the way. Dealers are responsible for warranty now and AC has the last say if it will get credited back to the dealer or not.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Must be more to the story.

You got stuck at the donut shop, right?
Pinned down the plowed highway for 20min?

Can't "blow up" the 046 belt without heavy load and heat and I would say impossible "just riding around town". Especially with 6000 to 9000 clutching. With or without all the engine mounts.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
check for proper clutching, belt deflection and clutch alignment. I have an 07 M8 never blown a belt switched one out for the hell of it about half way through my 900 miles

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have only blown one belt in my 06 m7/8 with 1400 miles. Changed one at about 600 and blew one at about 600. The blown one was a carlisle xs and they sent me a new one for free.

M
Dec 10, 2007
Edmonton Alberta
Hello GEO not to much more to add i was ditch banging and going across a few lakes i was doing about 50 to 60 mph when it blew.the clutches were warm you could hold your hand on the secondary no problem just warm the primary was hotter you could touch it but not for long.The belt totally seperated from the top and the bottom.I checked belt alignment and deflection no problem found I just got back from the mountains and had no issues.Except detination senser going off havent ask about that yet i shut the unit off and restarted and it was fine.

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Does any of your buddies ride an XP? They may have switched belts on you when you weren't looking.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Rode my basically stock out of the box M8 with the factory 6-9k clutching at 1500' for 120+ miles with zero issues. Only downside is the engine revs a bit high at 8000-8100 rpm on WOT runs.

XP on the tunnel - That's a good one!

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Hello GEO not to much more to add i was ditch banging and going across a few lakes i was doing about 50 to 60 mph when it blew.the clutches were warm you could hold your hand on the secondary no problem just warm the primary was hotter you could touch it but not for long.The belt totally seperated from the top and the bottom.I checked belt alignment and deflection no problem found I just got back from the mountains and had no issues.Except detination senser going off havent ask about that yet i shut the unit off and restarted and it was fine.

after 50 miles my 046 belt had a wee bit of cord starting to come out the side. i just burnt it and cleaned it off. at 200 miles. still good yet. since 50 miles i have been driving the sled alot harder pretty much the way i normally ride. on my f7 the 036 belt which i think was ****... i could never get no more than 500 miles out of one. driving along... jam on the throttle then i would vibration. checked the belt and the cord is starting to pull out. new belt.. no more vibs. from what i understand the 046 is much better belt. and grippy unlike the 036. ecu21 code is common on '08's. m, xf, f sleds.

Last edited:
M
Dec 10, 2007
Edmonton Alberta
Thanks for the input guys i was hoping it was just a defective belt and not an issue like the xps.no warranty on the belt but what ever i guess.As for the code i talked to the dealer he said he never heard of a problem and that it might be water in the tank and that i should run gas line antifreeze in my tank.I have never in the past but i guess if it will help.

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Panic!

Oh my God! All 08 M8s have major belt and clutching problems!!! Quick, sell your sled! Get a Polaris! Sue Arctic Cat!

Oops. Sorry. I must still be in over-reaction mode from reading about my XP.....:p

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
...As for the code i talked to the dealer he said he never heard of a problem and that it might be water in the tank and that i should run gas line antifreeze in my tank...

Water in the tank, LOL. There's a fix (new replacement ECU) in the works for the code 21 issue on 800 engines covering VINs 4UF08SNW98T111005 through 4UF08SNW98T116379.

Premium Features