• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Boost on the Pro?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Has anyone ran big boost on their Pro?
All the searching I have done has been of guys running 8-10lbs. I have also heard of a couple running 12lbs. OVS ran 14lbs last year.
Anyone actually running more than 12lbs consistently?
Folks have been running the M8's at 15+ pounds for years with great results. I am just curious if anyone has really been pushing this engine to see if it's going to with stand the boost.
A 800 on 10lbs just isnt going to cut it for this cat. I need more.
Anyone?

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I haven't yet. Just ordered a silber kit and plan to run 12psi. Justin said it is very reliable at this boost level running 50/50 so ill take his word for it.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Has anyone ran big boost on their Pro?
All the searching I have done has been of guys running 8-10lbs. I have also heard of a couple running 12lbs. OVS ran 14lbs last year.
Anyone actually running more than 12lbs consistently?
Folks have been running the M8's at 15+ pounds for years with great results. I am just curious if anyone has really been pushing this engine to see if it's going to with stand the boost.
A 800 on 10lbs just isnt going to cut it for this cat. I need more.
Anyone?

12-16 psi for 1200miles before I sold my personal sled last season, No pistons or reeds.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ran mine at 12 lbs all last year too JSCC... on straight 100LL. Zero issues. If it didn't run so damn well at that boost, I'd turn it up but honestly with a good skid under you that's going to be about all you'll need.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
12 lbs on straight 100ll all year.. had it up 14-15lbs above 6000' n 100ll
pistons look new and reeds perfect.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
The only real issue I have with the Boonies kit is the position of the turbo, mainly the exhaust. It runs right through where my battery is. And dammit if I don't like my electric start!

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
The only real issue I have with the Boonies kit is the position of the turbo, mainly the exhaust. It runs right through where my battery is. And dammit if I don't like my electric start!

my buddy moved his battery under his seat in a polaris bag and runs a boondocker turbo pro but never saw those boost numbers most he could turn his to was 8.4lbs and just wasn't that cool at that boost level I ride my cat at no lower then 10lbs just not that much fun to me

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
With the higher boost are the stock drivers holding up? Or are people switching to a dual extrovert

That's a good question. I know with the Yammies we ha to run the track banjo string to to make the stockers last. I never had any issues with the cats though.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
my buddy moved his battery under his seat in a polaris bag and runs a boondocker turbo pro but never saw those boost numbers most he could turn his to was 8.4lbs and just wasn't that cool at that boost level I ride my cat at no lower then 10lbs just not that much fun to me

Never thought of that....
8lbs would feel like a stocker to me so I agree, I will not be running anything close to that!

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I find it crazy not many people have ran more boost than 12lbs. I wonder if it is because this chassis is new, and people just have not had time to try things....
I have not decided who's setup I am going to run yet. I had a nice conversation with Justin at Silber turbos and he is pretty confident in his setup. I think those of you who went with his kit have got someone that is more than willing to back them up if there is an issue! That is great to hear and see!
I also talked with Gar at OVS since I know them well and know they have ran 14 + pounds of boost in their sled. They have a really nice setup, and in OVS fashion, they use the best of the best parts. You just have to be willing to pay for them.
It will be interesting to see how this sled holds up this year. I think I am going to keep one of my other turbo sleds as backup for a year just in case though. Still unsure if will actually hold up to the beating it is about to endure......

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
Yea the beating that it going to get when a little 700 cat woops up on it...LOL. Funny how things work I'm on a cat and your on a Polaris.....I think I have a really sweet Polaris Jacket you can wear to the bar now. I wish you would make up your dang mind already......:lalala:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Id say not many people need/want to run more than 12#s. When you factor in rider ability and the additional cost it does'nt make sense for alot of us.

I want 200 hp at 10000ft Pretty moddest boost(8-12 #s) should acheive that and maintain releiability

This is my theory for the moment having never ridden a boosted sled so far . on the other hand it may be like crack! we shall see! At least with boost i'll hit rock bottom smilling and still have teeth.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Id say not many people need/want to run more than 12#s. When you factor in rider ability and the additional cost it does'nt make sense for alot of us.

I want 200 hp at 10000ft Pretty moddest boost(8-12 #s) should acheive that and maintain releiability

This is my theory for the moment having never ridden a boosted sled so far . on the other hand it may be like crack! we shall see! At least with boost i'll hit rock bottom smilling and still have teeth.

i believe you are going to want at least 12lbs. to get you to 200HP at 10K. Probably more to achieve a TRUE 200HP. Too many do not realize how much 200 HP really is, especially at our elevation (10k-13K). Takes LOTS of boost to achieve that. 8-9lbs. puts you back to sea level HP at 11K.

BTW, ya, you will definitely SMILE with boost. It is addicting.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton

Sam

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I was always under the impression that on boost you can still achieve very close to the same hp at different elevations just longer lag times, at least on a 4 stroke. Is it different on a 2 stroke?

I know the rule of thumb on a N/A was always about 3% for every 1000 feet you go up.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
I was always under the impression that on boost you can still achieve very close to the same hp at different elevations just longer lag times, at least on a 4 stroke. Is it different on a 2 stroke?

I know the rule of thumb on a N/A was always about 3% for every 1000 feet you go up.

This is true to an extent. As you go up in elavation the atmospheric pressure becomes lower "PSIA". Sea level is around 14.2 PSIA where at 5000 ft it is about 12.4 PSIA (depending on weather patterns) so right off the bat you need 2 lbs of boost to get back to sea level just at 5000 ft. As you go up from there it continues to drop and get to about 10.2 PSIA at 10,000 ft (thinner air). So now you need 4 lbs of boost to get back to stock power at sea level. This now means that your turbo has to "cram" that much more air in the motor to make up the difference. So yes "boost is boost" but the pressure you start at is the deciding factor as to how much power you are making at any given elavation. This also explains why as you come down from riding you have to be careful to not over boost your sled as the atmospheric pressure is now increasing from where you had your boost controller set for 12 lbs @ 10,000 ft.

Last edited:
Premium Features