• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chest protector anybody wear one ?

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
661 Vapor Pressure suit (is the current version) I have the older one.

Chest protection, shoulder tie downs (my shoulder has a habit of dislocating), spine, and elbow pads. It's pretty light considering fits under a sweater with a jacket ontop.

do the shoulder straps help. i had a few dislocations last year and couldn't pop it back in. its a long way back to the truck and a hospital with your shoulder popped out. was thinking of getting a 661 brace. someone else makes one but can't remember who.

It depends how you dislocate (which direction) but it limits my arm movements so I can't put them in a position where I can dislocate easily (above, behind my head). I doubt it will save me from a big fall but it will help if I get tossed so I don't flail and end up with my arm behind ect... ...or if the sled bounces up so I don't pull my arms up to higher then where they should be. The other company that makes the shoulder specific one is EVS. I've been meaning to buy one of this for none motorized actives. (Skiing, Snowboarding, Skateboarding ect)

104.jpg

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/shoulder-support/sb03-shoulder-brace/

B
May 20, 2008
Newfoundland
I wear a TekVest Pro-Lite SX. Won't ride without it. Sure, it costs a couple hundred bucks, but it's just money; one injury can put you out of the game perminantly. I find mine really comfy personally. Even when I'm just schooting around the yard I throw it on.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
BRP TekVest--cracked my sternum and lost 6 weeks of riding. My back pack weights 15# and I can't feel it back there.

BCB

To clarify...you cracked your sternum while wearing a BRP tek-vest, or you purchased a BRP tek-vest AFTER cracking your sternum? I wear a BRP Tek-vest so would like to know if it's going to protect me. I agree that when I wear my backpack I can't feel the straps cutting into my shoulders when I wear my vest- that part is great.

M

maelstrom57

Feb 28, 2008
Torbay, Newfoundland
I've used the Acerbis Koerta for the last couple of years after a previous mishap. After breaking a couple of ribs, collar bone and separated shoulder, I figured it was time to get serious. I had a few mishaps since then with no real injuries, escaping with a few bruises. I particularly like the collar bone protection of this unit in addition to the splne protection which makes carrying a backpack a lot easier. Ride a RX1 Mtn, and after a few hard roll overs with that tank, no problem. Also have been jammed between the machine and hidden stumps and leave the scene chuckling. Due to it being meshed, it's not warm and can be used in the summer when dirt biking. Just my 2 cents

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
It depends how you dislocate (which direction) but it limits my arm movements so I can't put them in a position where I can dislocate easily (above, behind my head). I doubt it will save me from a big fall but it will help if I get tossed so I don't flail and end up with my arm behind ect... ...or if the sled bounces up so I don't pull my arms up to higher then where they should be. The other company that makes the shoulder specific one is EVS. I've been meaning to buy one of this for none motorized actives. (Skiing, Snowboarding, Skateboarding ect)

104.jpg

well i'm ****ing idiot..went out today without my chest protector (ie no shoulder straps..) dislocated my shoulder trying to get my sled unstuck.. ****ing great.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver

104.jpg

mine pops out the front. first time was when i over corrected in the air and came down a little hard on the a-- end. when the front end slammed down my shoulder came out. then again surfing 4 months later. would these work for me? i was looking at the evs ones online before.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Protection

Things I will not ride with out.
Tech Vest $250
Helmet $300
Knee and Shin Guards $15

Never skinning Knees, Not puncturing a Lung, and remembering were I live and what my wife and kids look like Priceless.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
mine pops out the front. first time was when i over corrected in the air and came down a little hard on the a-- end. when the front end slammed down my shoulder came out. then again surfing 4 months later. would these work for me? i was looking at the evs ones online before.

Don't know I haven't tried that brace yet. I just ordered mine today from dme-direct.com I should have it tomorrow. I've been thinking about ordering it for years but I went a 5 year or so stint without dislocating my shoulder (from 25-30). It was recommended by a friend of mine who is a downhill mountain biker he said he wasn't a fan of the straps but, like the brace.. I figured for the extra 10 bucks it's worth seeing how they feel. Right now my shoulder is SUPER loose. It's been a long time since I did a full dislocation like this.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
Don't know I haven't tried that brace yet. I just ordered mine today from dme-direct.com I should have it tomorrow. I've been thinking about ordering it for years but I went a 5 year or so stint without dislocating my shoulder (from 25-30). It was recommended by a friend of mine who is a downhill mountain biker he said he wasn't a fan of the straps but, like the brace.. I figured for the extra 10 bucks it's worth seeing how they feel. Right now my shoulder is SUPER loose. It's been a long time since I did a full dislocation like this.[/QUOTE]

let us know how the brace feels and works. it took 3 hrs before i could get mine popped back in at the hospital (when sledding), so i'm a little gun shy on some jumps now. thankfully mines not as bad as yours. that sux, worse than breaking bones imo. good luck to ya.:beer;

S

Snoweasel

Nov 27, 2007
Edmonton AB
TeK Vest Yes

A few years ago I lost it on a climb and the sled rolled over on me. When everything came to a stop, one of the sleds handlebars was pressed deep into my stomach just below the rib cage. I could not breath and I had no strength to move the sled. If it wasn't for my ridding partner, I'd hate to think what would have happened to me.:confused:

Now I ride with a KLIM Tek Vest and will not rid without one. Also, I find it has an additional benefit of keeping you dry and warm because it places your jacket away from your shirt and bids, allowing an air space for insulation and ventilation.

Again, I will not rid without one. :beer;

B

bam530

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Corn field
Tek vest here. Jan 2 I got thrown off and still cracked 2 ribs. I would hate to think how bad it would have been if I had not had it on. I have been landed on, rode over, about anything you can think of when I was racing and it has saved my ars. They even gave me a new one after one race so they could look it over to see if they needed to make changes. I also where CTI2 knee braces. Tore my acl once with standard knee/shin gaurds.

Premium Features