• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact 36" forward a arm kit

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Wanted to clarify one question I keep getting which is this kit as far as a ski stance is adjustable down to as far as 35-1/8"- 36.5". Should be getting a lot of feedback in the next few days on these as kits are rolling out rapidly now. Thanks!
Dan

bugglin_bull

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2009
Any more info on the setup RACINSTATION ??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

snoprotrack

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2011
Colorado
I ordered the new front end from Dan at Alt Impact, in cromoly. Dan has been great to work with. The new front end was installed on a 2012 PC M800 153". The sled had a 40" front end. The shocks were sent to Andy at GS Shocks for the spherical set up. He did shorten the shocks, but I haven't had a chance to ask what they were shortened too. The guy is good and I trust his judgement. I am mechanical challenged so, the front was installed by Todd O. at Big D Motorsports. The front end is currently set up at 36 1/2", measured from the center of the spindles. I think this set up will be a sure thing and the front end looks sweet. Now, I am just needing some days off from work and a little snow to try it out.

IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0280.jpg IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0284.JPG

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I was wondering if there is benefit to this setup over the new '16 oem front end setup? Does the change in spindle angle on the '16 oem accomplish the same thing as moving the whole spindle forward like alt impact is doing? Is most of the benefit obtained just by narrowing the stance?
I'm trying to decide what route to go for next season that will be the most economical and give me the best results.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Pure speculation because I have not been on a 2016 but the laid back spindles is an easier steering feel which makes a great trail sled but not what we were going for. The reason we chose the caster we did was the way it hugged a side hill and the forward design made it smoother to get there and maintain it with a larger sweet spot to avoid paneling out.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I ordered the new front end from Dan at Alt Impact, in cromoly. Dan has been great to work with. The new front end was installed on a 2012 PC M800 153". The sled had a 40" front end. The shocks were sent to Andy at GS Shocks for the spherical set up. He did shorten the shocks, but I haven't had a chance to ask what they were shortened too. The guy is good and I trust his judgement. I am mechanical challenged so, the front was installed by Todd O. at Big D Motorsports. The front end is currently set up at 36 1/2", measured from the center of the spindles. I think this set up will be a sure thing and the front end looks sweet. Now, I am just needing some days off from work and a little snow to try it out.

Post up a review when you get a chance to ride; something tells me you will be smiling all day long. It's pretty incredible what this simple change does to this chassis. Only if Dan would have come out with this kit a month and 1/2 sooner, it would have saved me a whole lot of money...hahaha!!!!

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
2016 A-arms

Pure speculation because I have not been on a 2016 but the laid back spindles is an easier steering feel which makes a great trail sled but not what we were going for. The reason we chose the caster we did was the way it hugged a side hill and the forward design made it smoother to get there and maintain it with a larger sweet spot to avoid paneling out.

Alt,
Are you planning on having/building A-arms for use with the 2016 spindle?
I hope so.
I'd like to put your A-arms on a 2015 sled along with the 2016 spindle.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Post up a review when you get a chance to ride; something tells me you will be smiling all day long. It's pretty incredible what this simple change does to this chassis. Only if Dan would have come out with this kit a month and 1/2 sooner, it would have saved me a whole lot of money...hahaha!!!!
boy nobody can say we didn't try, sometimes things just fall into place but with this one I kept thinking we could do better with the caster but every time It was changed we ended up going right back to the second angle tried. Also didn't help with the lack of snow this year. More kits went out than expected but I'm not sure any more than a handful were able to use them because of it.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston

Alt,
I hope so.

I'm sure we will. I'm not sure what all was changed on the 16's other than making the skinnier.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Caster angle

Cats claiming the new caster angle is 27 degrees now.
I don't know what the caster angle is on the 2015 and older sleds???

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Caster angle

With a 10 degree cast angle change how far forward does that move the ski bolt in the bottom of the spindle?
The skis do look further forward on a 2016 sled verses a 2015 sled.
Just wondering how much further forward they are?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
mathematically, not more than 1/2" - 3/4" of a inch.

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
Just want to thank dan again for all his help! Ordered my a arms this summer from him. He answered all my questions and got me setup with a beautiful set of a arms. Build quality is amazing and every weld looks perfect! Very happy with this kit!!

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Finally got a good 8 days riding in revy on the alt impact arms. Mines a 12 and I also did the mtv skid relocate bracket in the rear moving my skid back from the 13 location so It's close to the 14~15 location. I'm SUPER impressed on how it holds a side hill now with out washing out in the steep. I was dead set on giving up the proclimb and boost for an AXYS next year after trying one, but my sled kept impressing me more each day in steep technical creeks/trees I might just keep riding it.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anymore reviews on these? Trying to decide between these and the new Cat setup.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Alt,
I hope so.

I'm looking for this also for my 14. I want the new geometry but stay at 38" wide & not shorten the shocks. Anything in the works for this?

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
I just want to add on my review. That with the 17" raptor shocks it does bind. I was wondering why my skis were so hard to turn on steep side hilling when one ski has no weight. It goes too far out with the 17" shocks and the tie rod bottoms out on the lower a~arm. So I figured I would just spacer my tie rods up at the spindle side to clear the lower arm arm. But with sled at full drop and tie rod spacered up the tie rod then hits inside behind the rubber right at the lower a~arm front bolt area. So shocks are off at shop getting shortened to 16.5" as per alt impact recommendations. Other then that another 4 wicked days in revy and holy it makes the 2012 a new animal on steep down side hills. Dosent wanna wash out. Love my sled now and can't wait for proper shock length.

Premium Features