• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 m8 no spark

P
Nov 26, 2007
So I have looked high and low thru the no spark threads

I have a 2007 m8, broke a recoil rope last Friday, rode it all day by starting with the clutch. Got back, friday night put a new rope in it, initially had no spark, found rope wrapped up in the crank triggers, cleaned it up and had spark, sled started. Rode all day saturday at Hahns peak, sled was beginning to start hard so I kept it running all day. Loaded on the trailer, shut it off and it hasnt started since.

I ohmed the stator, crank triggers, light coil, all show as good. Any ideas? What is the air gap on the crank triggers? Currently they are at about 28 thousands. I also pulled the flywheel to inspect the stator, all looks good and clean. Nothing visible

Any other ideas? I want to get this sled fixed and sold, so i am hesitant to bring it in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
So I have looked high and low thru the no spark threads

I have a 2007 m8, broke a recoil rope last Friday, rode it all day by starting with the clutch. Got back, friday night put a new rope in it, initially had no spark, found rope wrapped up in the crank triggers, cleaned it up and had spark, sled started. Rode all day saturday at Hahns peak, sled was beginning to start hard so I kept it running all day. Loaded on the trailer, shut it off and it hasnt started since.

I ohmed the stator, crank triggers, light coil, all show as good. Any ideas? What is the air gap on the crank triggers? Currently they are at about 28 thousands. I also pulled the flywheel to inspect the stator, all looks good and clean. Nothing visible

Any other ideas? I want to get this sled fixed and sold, so i am hesitant to bring it in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Whats a crank trigger? spark plug;

Might just be a broken ground wire off the stator.

I have had a stator just quit with no signs,

P
Nov 26, 2007
The crank trigger supplies the "notice" to spark to the cylinder, there is one for each cylinder that registers off the flywheel

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
well if you pulled the fly wheel you would see the main ground, if its a secondary ground or wire worn together I think the stator would ohm out correctly on the second scenario. The problem with a stator is that they will normally check out with in specs when you ohm them but could be bad.

The coil packs or coils which is what I think you are referring to are fairly trouble free (has not been too many threads on coils going bad since the advent of cpu's and efi).

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Not trying to be smart.

Key is on?
Thether is seated?
Kill switch is on?
Unplugged thether?
Unplugged kill switch/ TSS?

P
Nov 26, 2007
how can I bypass the kill switch to validate it is good or bad? Do I just un plug it?

TSS, I assume is the same, just un plug?

P
Nov 26, 2007
I pulled the stator last night, ohm'd it again, the lighting coil is bad, so I found a used one picking it up tonight. I will get it in and see if I have spark, keep ya posted to conclusion on this thing

P
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, so here is the final verdict, I got it running

I tested the old stator and the lighting coil portion was bad, however, the ignition portion was good, so I am assuming that the lighting coil gives enough energy to power teh ecu to provide spark, just my hunch.

Also- I had broken a recoil rope, I am now replacing the "replacement" we did on the mountain, I believe I needed the rope to be longer, to generate enough electricity to make spark, that is my hunch as well.

So, no spark, tested coil and crank trigger sensors by flywheel, validated air gap at 25 thousands.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
pretty good chance that you have lots of rope pieces wrapped up in the stator. it will over heat them bad enough to melt solder connections. or at the very least make enough interference that you aren't getting any power out of the stator on the spark circuit.

Premium Features