• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 sputtering

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
Have a 15' T3 with an impulse kit. For some reason it idles great then if I ride it and slowly get into the throttle or keep it steady down the road up to 6500 rpm it sputters and the afr is all over the place from 11.5 to 13. It almost feels like it loading the motor with fuel like crazy. Ive checked reeds, the check valve between the cases. Power valves are closing at idle, checked clutches twice, changed coils, plugs, checked compression (both at 150). I have a new fuel pump coming and tps. Its throwing zero codes.

Last edited:

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
TPS is a good place to start. I would doubt it could be the fuel pump as most of those issues would have you running lean not fat and would definitely not run on the top end. Did you check your Impulse ECU for any code lights? Possibly a bad MAP sensor or maybe even a faulty injector? My Impulse always ran lean in the midrange just like the stock sleds do. 11.5 seems rich below 6500 rpm.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
TPS is a good place to start. I would doubt it could be the fuel pump as most of those issues would have you running lean not fat and would definitely not run on the top end. Did you check your Impulse ECU for any code lights? Possibly a bad MAP sensor or maybe even a faulty injector? My Impulse always ran lean in the midrange just like the stock sleds do. 11.5 seems rich below 6500 rpm.

No impulse codes, problem is I never did get to run this sled stock as no snow to try it out before install. Ill do some more digging when I get home. Going to bring it into to dealer to check the tps and injectors on the buds system Monday. Ill swap around the map and baro sensor to eliminate that possibility too. The XM I had before with the impulse system ran lean in the midrange also. Thanks

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
all updates have been done. Will see what pops up on the computer Monday

Carp

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It's the tuning with the power valves opening and closing. They don't always open at the same RPM all the time so it makes the tuning kinda hard to get right. It depends on throttle input and load. I've talked to Paul about it somewhat. Mine is kinda that way and always has been. I don't notice it usually riding in good snow but trail riding or early season road riding it seems to be more noticeable. Paul had an updated tune last year but not sure what you have or if it's better than what I might have in mine. I think you are wasting time with fuel pumps and a new TPS but let me know if you get any improvement. I love my Impulse turbo.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
It's the tuning with the power valves opening and closing. They don't always open at the same RPM all the time so it makes the tuning kinda hard to get right. It depends on throttle input and load. I've talked to Paul about it somewhat. Mine is kinda that way and always has been. I don't notice it usually riding in good snow but trail riding or early season road riding it seems to be more noticeable. Paul had an updated tune last year but not sure what you have or if it's better than what I might have in mine. I think you are wasting time with fuel pumps and a new TPS but let me know if you get any improvement. I love my Impulse turbo.

It's when I ease into the throttle or hammer on it, it will literally bog down to where it Hardley comes out of it. When I'm cruising like 10 mph it's searching to stay at a steady rpm and sputtering. That's where I am thinking it's the tps. I'm out of other ideas

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
thats the problem. Never did get a chance to ride it before the install as I put the turbo on in october. Sled had 800 miles on it and rebuilt both clutches and any other preventive maintenance to start fresh. Live and you learn I guess as I wish I would have waited and rode it first. Bought it from a good friend who rode it all winter in yellowstone.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Even though you don't want to acknowledge it, the problem seems pretty clear, that it has something to do with the turbo and not the sled itself. Ran great last winter, install turbo, now issues......

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
UPDATE: When I got home the new fuel pump arrived. Installed it ran it down the field quick and runs like a top! Maybe I just needed a new regulator but now works perfect! Thanks guys

Premium Features