• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to inspect reeds?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
My G5 is turning out to be a real gem. First I started having some hard start issues followed with a rough idle and the sled dying when in warm up mode if I don't nurse the throttle. The other day it lost all power, no snap on the bottom end with garbled top end, occasional backfiring, and hitting a wall at 6800-7200 RPM. Now the shot will discharge and is unable to start the sled and I have to pull it over and it dies when going into or out of reverse. No check engine light.

Its very difficult to get a Canadian dealer to push a warranty case file through on a US bought sled, so I would like to go over all the basics before I give up on this sled for the season. I may be able to get it plugged into the BUDS but I was already planning on replacing my damaged throttle cable so figure I may as well dive in. New plugs properly indexed, compression check, and inspect the reeds.

My question is what is the quickest way to check the reeds and how far down do you need tear it apart?
With an inspection camera it seems feasible to get a look at the reeds through the throttle bodies but unfortunately I don't have mine with me.
Is is possible to get at the M5 screws holding the intake boots on and remove them with the throttle bodies still connected? Or do you need to take the fuel rail off, dismount the throttle bodies and then remove the intake boots?

Thanks for any tips.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Pull Jackshaft, if you have a tool to hold upper chain case gear in place this will save you time. Remove airbox, throttle bodies come off with out having to disconnect any lines, then easy access to pull reed cages.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Had one on the weekend doing this: backfiring, and hitting a wall at 6800-7200 RPM. It. The RAVE actuator cable was disconnected.
Interesting. I have a pile of dead rave valve servo motors from over the years and in my experience you see a check engine light if anything is wrong with the system because there is a position sensor on the rave bar that ties the two exhaust valves together. I was not very excited to see a second one of these servo motors for the waste gate actuators.....aywas easy check when the hood comes off.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Pull Jackshaft, if you have a tool to hold upper chain case gear in place this will save you time. Remove airbox, throttle bodies come off with out having to disconnect any lines, then easy access to pull reed cages.
Perfect thanks. I always just slip a long screwdriver in as the jackshaft comes out to catch the spacer behind the upper gear. Air box is already going out to do the throttle cable so it doesn't sound like much more labor to get at the reeds while im in there.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Have had 2 Gen 5’s with similar issues. Reeds on both sleds, my sled the reeds took out an injector as well. The other sled had reeds and charge tube split.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Interesting. I have a pile of dead rave valve servo motors from over the years and in my experience you see a check engine light if anything is wrong with the system because there is a position sensor on the rave bar that ties the two exhaust valves together. I was not very excited to see a second one of these servo motors for the waste gate actuators.....aywas easy check when the hood comes off.
No codes on this machine.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Have had 2 Gen 5’s with similar issues. Reeds on both sleds, my sled the reeds took out an injector as well. The other sled had reeds and charge tube split.
Just about to take the throttle bodies off so I will know soon. Not sure I can even source knew reeds so may be a lost cause but I only have three more weeks before I have to leave Revy and go back to work so Im going for it. This issue on top of everything else makes me want to snow check a NA and be done with turblows.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Just about to take the throttle bodies off so I will know soon. Not sure I can even source knew reeds so may be a lost cause but I only have three more weeks before I have to leave Revy and go back to work so Im going for it. This issue on top of everything else makes me want to snow check a NA and be done with turblows.
Banner had lots of reeds last time I checked.

Premium Features