• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many miles do you get on your 800

How many miles did you get on your 800 before having major motor issues?

• Total voters
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i have an 08 700 dragon, and had an 09 800 dragon....700 seems to be good, but i changed out the v.r. at my expense because of others' problems, it
's my wifes sled and i don't need problems when we're out, because that usually means i'm by myself for dragging one back....the 800, i did the updates last fall and sold it....i don't need endless excuses and trips to the dealer for pistons, updates etc...and with some of the rat hole places i find myself in, dependability is paramont......on the other hand, i also have an m-8 that has had zero problems, and an m-1000 that has also had zero problems....over 2k miles on both....i did change out the dd bearing on my 1000 that some have reported going out, it looked good, but changed it anyway....other than that, i liked riding both the the poo and the cat....cat more maneuverable over all, and easier to ride than the poo, especially tight going in the trees and doing off-camber work in ravines etc....the 2010 m-8 that i bought this year will run circles around the dragon, out drag race the poo, outclimb it, just a better sled..:eek:....but if a guy likes one brand or the other, that's cool, i happen to like fords, but not chevys...i think yamies are tanks, turbo or not......and doos?, gag me.....but poos vs cats?, which ever seems to be the better for a particular year, i'll try it....but clearly the cat engines are developed better for the last several years...:)

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Have about 1800 miles on mine on the 5th set of pistons was the first to break the clutch side motor mount at 400 miles dealer gave me a 770 mod to ride should have kept that thing man was it fun. Pulled motor to get motor mount bolt out found the crank seal was out so tore it down repaired. Ended up having the 770 for about three weeks. Didn't get it until 12-30-08 so by the time I got it back winter was almost over for me anyway! Started out 09 with some minor stuff took it in they decided to do the firt update with pistons and head and stuff still had the bog! Went out of state on a long weekend it started out rough thought it was going to sieze the first day just getting to the good snow then it cleaned up and ran fine the rest of the day. Got up there the next day and started it was putting on my gear and listening to it sounded almost like it was knocking gave it a little gas it sounded fine just not idling all that good so took off long story I know but 2 miles from truck it siezed didn't take the spare so end of trip very depressing luckly I had driven up by myself so everyone else had a good day. Call the dealer from the lot told him what happened and I would be there in about 5 hours. Pulled in to the dealer later walked in and he said there is a new 800 ready to go if I wanted it till mine was fixed if I wanted to go back but just to far so loaded it up and went home ended up having it for about a month had to order a monoblock and it was back ordered so got to ride that sled for awhile. Now this year and guess what voltage regulator and ECU he gave me a brand new 800 to ride again like I've said before I have a great dealer but have had it with Polaris. Long rant sorry but I hope this new map fixes this thing it is been a long 2 plus years!! JIm

Dragonron is looking for a new 2010 7/8 would Action in Craig be a good place to buy? If not who was your dealer? What do you think about new map. Does Colorado have lemon law, 2 or three times, back to dealer and you get another one? Not sure. I ride in Steamboat/ SLO Clark area if I get one this week, Let's ride. Ron

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
If you drop the silly brand loyalty stuff, look hard at the forums, Cat isn't having motor problems, and they haven't for years. I love how the RAW chassis rides but the M is just as good and the sled is much more reliable.

I just don't understand how you can be paying attention and defend Polaris on this.:confused:

Exactly. I was "this close" to buying a Cat because of that, but the '09 800R seems to be much more reliable than the '07 and early '08 models. Even more reliable than the 800 PowerTek.

If mine lets me down I'll go to Cat. I owned Polaris before this and Yamaha before that.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
I know this a Poo thread but who is to say that the new arctic cat 800 is any better than the poo 800...sure everyone who has one says it is the greatest thing since sliced bread but i believe most all of the poo 800 people said that the first year. I guess time will tell tho. I guess i will stay with my D7 for the time being!

B
Thats funny, I think I counted 6-7 posts in this thread alone from guys bragging of no problems.

If you don't think there are serious problems with lots of the D8's, you have your head in the sand. I used to think it was only the Doo guys who accepted burn downs as part of maintenance, now it looks like the Poo die hards are in the same camp.

I owned nothing but Polaris for almost 15 years, same with lots of my buddies. Some are still buying them. My friends sons '07 600 just lost a crank at 2200 miles too. He is done, his 800 lost a crank last year too. Two weeks ago an updated '09 went down in the woods, no issues before the update. They wasted 4 hrs hauling that POS out.

If you drop the silly brand loyalty stuff, look hard at the forums, Cat isn't having motor problems, and they haven't for years. I love how the RAW chassis rides but the M is just as good and the sled is much more reliable.

I just don't understand how you can be paying attention and defend Polaris on this.:confused:

I owned nothing but Polaris for 15 years also. Scratch me up for a 6 pack of pistons , a few clyinders, ecu, pipe/sensor...ruined a many saturday rides and a trip out west.....had all the updates??? oh yea, don't forget to go to the local hardware store and pick up a couple tubes of silicone to seal off the headlamp / intake area if you plan on using your d8 in the powder!! these things are still poppin pistons in 2010...they are Junk period! By the way my old d8 blew up 2 weeks ago! again.

going on 1 year .....M8 is running great!

S
Jan 19, 2008
middle earth (WYO)
stage1

mine crapped a rod bearing two weeks ago. was fine since 08. after update the tps quit 5.3 miles later the rod bearing went. polaris said was cause of slp pipe!! and i now can piss up a tree for future repair coverage. never had problems till the update. oh I guess the oil pump crapped end of last season.
sorry:mad::mad::mad::mad:

R
Apr 4, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
2,800 hard miles on my Dragon and it runs like a Swiss watch. All I have done is change plugs and clean ex valves.
Pull cord, squeeze throttle, eat snow, repeat.
The air box did p me off, the air gaps were more then the actual air inlet, pathetic.
Oh wait, you guys are whining about 800s and I have a 700. Never mind.

:beer; :face-icon-small-hap

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I don't usually troll over here in the poo threads but this one caught my eye. I am by no means a diehard cat guy but I have owned several. I have also owned a 900 poo, opps :( I will say that what has been said about the d8's actually made me sad for fellow sled owners. There is nothing worse than having a hobby that you can't enjoy for reasons that are out of your control.

I read a post on here a month ago about a guy that almost got out of sledding because of his d8 and how unreliable it was and making him worry about if this pull would be the one that the motor let go or this sidehill or whatever.

I do spend a pretty large amount of my time over in the cat threads and what has been said is totally true about the m's. diamond drives are the weak point but really only on the 07-08. the new bearing on the 09 is important as well. the new 10's seem to have only one problem and that is a hard start condition when its very cold out. Most have said that holding the throttle open slightly cures this problem.

I can't comment on the reliability of the doo's and yamaha's as i have no time on those but I do hope that all you guys that are having problems just get out now. This is my warning to you, my 900 was so notorious that I couldn't even find a dealer that would take it in on a trade. And I wanted to trade on a new d8 :eek: I just hope that when the next Polaris creation comes out that all of you with d8's aren't left in the cold because the factory and the dealer just don't want to deal with them anymore.

sorry for the rant but reading this just struck a cord with me

S

SKYJMPR

Nov 27, 2007
THORNTON ,CO / longmont
Well i have a 08 800 dragon and the wife has a 09 800 dragon and for a back up sled i have a 09 700 rmk. Have 1643 miles on mine when it went down do to VR/ECU which is fixed last week, I did put 09 pistons on it around 1600 miles due to my f**k up not polaris F**K up, but never done any other updates other then what i just mentioned, wifes sled has 683 miles and did the update and runs good, never had a problem just did the update. The 700... well 77 miles so far and runs great.:beer;:peace::beer;

N
Nov 26, 2007
Bottineau ND
08 D8 still stock no updates 1300 and counting no issues

1300 miles and still going on the stock 08 d8 motor and pistons. No updates and no warranty work performed yet. Power commander is a MUST have.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
My 09 stock D8 has just shy of 3000 miles right now. At 2100 we did the pston update, pistons were perfect. We did put a new clutch on at that time also(e/start for the Redhead). Also have an 08 bd pump gas TD8 the previous owner smoked a piston at around a 1000 miles. Had update done at that time. In 700 miles I've owned it I did have to replace the exhaust sensor and I broke a drive clutch spring. Mix in a little race gas to insure agianst the det sensor coming on--so far good to go.

D
About 100 miles on stock '08 D8 with the '10 piston/head update and 25 PSI on the Mag side....This is a buddy's sled ( he isn't a snowest member ) that blew 3 motors for the original owner....At least Polaris will warranty this on Monday for him

B
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, CO
Where to begin...

My dads D8 has <2000 miles on it and has gone down 3 times and the update rebuild. This last time it took the crank too. It has had sensors, vr's, and ecu's fail multiple times and has never really ran right after it got about 300 miles on it. The sled has been a total POS. It drives him nuts when I tow him in on my turbo multiple times. My dad is almost to the point of quitting because of dealing with this thing. All of these failures dont count the time that went into sealing the intake, venting it and so on.

As far as cats go since they were brought up earlier...I have put 6000 miles on 4 different m's with no dd failures. this last one has gone 2k miles boosted before the sled was even started. just change the oil and they keep goin! My TM8 has been awesome since day 1.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow reading this is depressing, I feel for you guys having all these issues. My 08 has 1500 miles on it now with no problems, I did get the update done at 1100 miles. The leaky air box and crappy wiring harness are a total joke on a $14,500 ( Canadian ) machine. I love my Dragon and have been happy so far, but I think a PC111/V is a must. This is a very tough chassis, mine has seen some serious abuse and held up well. Not trying to defend Polaris but my sons 07 M8 had the ecu go out at 300 miles, my buddies 09 XP primary clutch was badly worn in 300 miles, they all have there problems!!

A
Nov 13, 2008
09 assault 4 sets of pistons, 2 cranks, and multiple little things. Even now know blown motors this year since update but its very hit or miss sometimes pulls hard and then 6800 rpms max very frustrating. And b4 i get jumped on here i only run premium with a 30% vp112 mix. I also mix oil in the gas. I love everything bout this sled just wish it would run strong and consistent for one week. Waiting for a new map for my pc3 to go with the new flash maybe this time it'll get right ha

P
Nov 27, 2007
08 800

i have over 4000 miles on my 08 163 with no major issues except the top end problem, the pto bearing just went I call that not bad for a Polaris crank anyways.

W

wysnow

Dec 7, 2008
togwotee pass wyoming
6 sets of pistons and cylinder blocks, 2 front left engine motor bolts, left motor strap, fuel rail, reeds, chain case, clutch, 2 ecm, 3 voltage regulator 900 miles on my sled.

Premium Features