• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whos riding the "new" update??

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
My friend and I both bought 09 d8's last year his a 155 and mine a 163 so I have a good comparison he just did not ride yesterday. My friend has not changed anything other than the recall/update, he will be going next weekend and we know exactly how his ran last year . Even his would never pull rpm's last year no matter what we tried, his would only pull 7900-8000, where mine last year I could at least get 8000-8150 still not enough. They both felt flat on top like there was more there just could not get it, almost like they hit a wall and would not pull anymore. I put mine in reverse a couple times yesterday and no problems. The fuel filter has not been changed, the sled has about 550 miles on it. I talked to the local dealership yesterday and they said I could bring it in and they could check the electrical components for proper operation, I am just a little gunshy about having much more touched on it. Everytime somthing is done to it it runs worse. When I first got it it ran decent just not enough r's then had the mid season flash done last year and it actually ran a little worse, It got a little bit of a hesitation in the midrange. Now it is flat terrible after this so called fix, hopfully this is just an issolated incident and something is defective with an electrical component. It is just getting old dumping money in it and it keeps getting worse.

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hello Guys.
First ride in sweden this saturday.
2010RMK 144" Stock,2009 D8-155"with SLP,D8-SP Stretched to 146"Stock.
Ran att about 2000"
First the updated sleds ran bad and stumbled,Coughed at mid.
Didnt pull more than 7800rpm.
but after about 20 miles they loosend up.8150-8250

Maybe a mix of Xtra oil in gas/Old gas/Airbubbles in fuel system.
-2010 Ran awesome right out of the box.:)
Had the revs there first time i wacked the throttle:D
The performance was right on par with -09 D8 Stock.
But the D8 with SLP was definatly faster.
(Flat drags 1 foot of snow)
ED

Well, I am happy for all of you who enjoyed your first ride on your "updated" 800's. I pulled mine out for the first time this Saturday. Had stabilized fuel from last year and a quart of oil in the tank. For the first 10-15 miles, it ran freakin' awesome. It pulled hard, was clean and crisp sounding, and had no hesitations at any RPM.
Well, all that went to hell in a hand-basket very quickly. Shortly thereafter, my check engine light came on and I started noticing a severe bog at 5800-6200 rpms. It would run great for a while, then the light would flash and the engine would start stuttering. I thought at first it was maybe the extra oil I added or possibly water in the gas but soon ruled that out. The longer I rode it, the more it cut out until it finally went into limp mode. I turned it off, checked under the hood, and could find nothing wrong to the plain eye. Wasn't overheating (118-125 degrees), fluid levels good, and no obvious signs of anything. Then the d@mn thing wouldn't start. After about 15 minutes, I got it to start and it went back into limp mode, and limped it's broken @ss all the way back to the trailer. I was less than pleased.
It goes into the shop tomorrow and hopefully it is nothing major, but instead a simple electrical gliche. The thing that makes me the maddest, is that the thing ran awesome last year with none of the problems everyone else was complaining about. I take it in to get "updated", and it won't run. Oh well, I got a good dealer and good local mechanic and am sure it will all work out. Will post what the issue was when it's done! Good luck!!!:confused:

A
Dec 11, 2007
Guys,

I only use Klotz Octane boost (in blue METAL can) to store gas with. It keeps gas good for up to year and doesn't run like $hit when you start it up. Everytime I've used stabil the machines ran like hell until I changed the fuel.

From all of my test this stuff is legit. Try it out

On a different note I hope this fix works, sorry to hear about your machine. Mine has been one of the machines that has ran like a POS since Dec. 07 (snowcheck D8). I've had every reflash, update, tps calibration, they have offically released. I guess a PC V will be on order just to make sure.

On another note I have never been to impressed with the way the airbox is sealed. There are gaps you can see with the naked eye so who knows how much is getting around seams.

Last edited:
T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I can't believe anyone would run last years fuel.

Why? All old fuel does is volatilize and get harder to burn in, effect gaining "octane". As long as the fuel has been stabilized (or not, as long as it hasn't started to turn to varnish) and the sled has enough compression/spark to burn it it really isn't gonna hurt anything. Or do you have proof that it will harm something?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
My friend and I both bought 09 d8's last year his a 155 and mine a 163 so I have a good comparison he just did not ride yesterday. My friend has not changed anything other than the recall/update, he will be going next weekend and we know exactly how his ran last year . Even his would never pull rpm's last year no matter what we tried, his would only pull 7900-8000, where mine last year I could at least get 8000-8150 still not enough. They both felt flat on top like there was more there just could not get it, almost like they hit a wall and would not pull anymore. I put mine in reverse a couple times yesterday and no problems. The fuel filter has not been changed, the sled has about 550 miles on it. I talked to the local dealership yesterday and they said I could bring it in and they could check the electrical components for proper operation, I am just a little gunshy about having much more touched on it. Everytime somthing is done to it it runs worse. When I first got it it ran decent just not enough r's then had the mid season flash done last year and it actually ran a little worse, It got a little bit of a hesitation in the midrange. Now it is flat terrible after this so called fix, hopfully this is just an issolated incident and something is defective with an electrical component. It is just getting old dumping money in it and it keeps getting worse.

when you take it in cascade, have them change the fuel filter...one of the guys last season had one acting up and it turned out the filter was plugged(you could blow thru it and it seemed fine but it would act up till it was changed)

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Rode my 08 with the 10 update yesterday for 60 miles. Ran great, way better than the 09 update. More like when it was new on the first engine. It did have one episode of stumbling and no rpm/ power on take-off around 15 miles though, but it didn't happen again. Maybe old gas. I'm going to check the pistons today though. Mag posted scoring problems with his from the first ride. Anyone else that rode should pull their valves and post what they see. I have my fingers crossed!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I pulled my valves last night and found similar to what mag found on his in the other update thread, minus the scoring. Mine have a huge wear pattern where it was starting to scuff, all of the machine grooves are gone. It looks like the pistons have 2000 miles on them in that spot. The pattern starts about 3/8 of an inch below the bottom ring and goes down as far is you can see. I only put about 25 miles on and was riding 4500-6500 feet.

D
Dec 25, 2007
Iowa
I pulled my valves last night and found similar to what mag found on his in the other update thread, minus the scoring. Mine have a huge wear pattern where it was starting to scuff, all of the machine grooves are gone. It looks like the pistons have 2000 miles on them in that spot. The pattern starts about 3/8 of an inch below the bottom ring and goes down as far is you can see. I only put about 25 miles on and was riding 4500-6500 feet.

It could be an assembly issue. Just because a dealer did the work, does not mean they are infallible. Not pointing fingers, just saying it could be the issue.

P

pokey76

Nov 9, 2009
Prince George B.C.
Was out on the weekend and put atank of premix through. The second tank I started to push it with some 500-1000ft pulls.The new upgrades seem to be strong 8250rpm. So far it is awsome I think the 800 Dragon is good to go.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Not good, not good at all. I have ran mine about 10-15 miles this year, I will pull my valves and check my pistons tomorrow. It ran good while I had it out. Some small stumbles but the seemed to clear up pretty fast. I'll check it out and post my findings.

P

pokey76

Nov 9, 2009
Prince George B.C.
So far so good

Got the update done Monday. Am very curious as to how she'll run now? Someone out there has to have some miles on one by now???

Anyone??

Bueller??:D
Went to Wells B.C. on the weekend for some hill climbing.About 4-6ft on top.The 800 Dragon new update seems to be working well. She was holding 8250 on full pulls and very strong.I'm feeling good about the new upgrades but would like to hear what others think.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Where did you go riding? How much snow was there?

A top secret location (Brundage) and an undisclosed amount of snow (16-18")!
Perfect for break-in and it was a beautiful day!! Not to much off trail but enough to make it very worth while. Too bad it's all tracked up now though!

K
Nov 29, 2007
kelowna bc
just got home from ride #1 with the update..on the plus side top end pulls hard. smooth for most parts(oil in the gas) down side was only pulling about 8000 rpms. buddy told me his wifes didnt rev out the 1st ride but after that it did.. better then last year... 1 more downside was A-arm and rock didnt mix well...not the best start ..plus side ... my arms hurt:D

Premium Features