• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 XP Cylinder Replacement - Quick Help?

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I need to replace my cylinder on my sled and it's at a cabin in the middle of nowhere. I have a new cylinder and gasket set. Do i need to remove the motor to do this, or can it be done in place? Does anybody know what size torx for the flange screw (420441187), is it a T-50? I have a medium sized city, the 3 hours to the cabin where the sled is, so if there is a tool or something i need to pick up that is out of the ordinary please let me know.

Is there a write up on this process? I have done many top-ends on dirt bikes and this is probably very similar. Guessing, remove plastics, then remove the rave, carbs and exhaust. Then the head, assuming pluming and electrical already removed. Then 6 of the torx and the cylinder should lift off. Compress rings and install new cylinder. Is there a good non-oem tool to compress, or can you do it by hand? Maybe large pipe-clamps?

I fly out in the morning, so any help / pointers would be great. Thanks.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
a skinny socket will work on cyl bolts after head is off.i just pulled cyl with boots still attached.there was hoses attached to bottom right booty bolt.didnt remove any plastic.removed small crossbar.can be installed without ring compressor but man that sucked.LOL

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
first i took out secondary clutch and bracket.1 special tool is exhaust allen bolt remover.

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Well the good is that my exhaust bolts are good and broke off. You know what size skinny socket you used? Sounds like its fairly straight forward.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
13 and 14 deep and a 1- 3 in extention to replace your y-pipe bolt you should have the 6'' long metric allen with the ball at the end , makes it way better to install ,harbor frieght sell them as a 6 piece set for under 20.00 and work best

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
tools needed
deep well metrric set in 3/8 and 1/4 work best
metric wrench set
phillip screw driver tips with extentions or long phillips screw driver
1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchets with some different size length extentions
metric allen set / with balled ends
spring removal tool/ small vise grip
hammer/6'' punch ,so you can remove secondary w/o removing chain case cover
torque wrench 21''lbs 35''lbs ?
a torques bit kit
and its way easier to remove the plastic shrouds to do all of this
1/4'' socket and the handle extention to be able to use the apex tips like a screw driver, electrition tape or duck tape ,so sockets and apex tips dont fall off sockes and extentions

Last edited:

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I got it all apart, the however on the new cylinder, the holes for the carb boots are not tapped. Is that an error or do I need to tap them?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
As i was not sure i used a tap and some cutting oil. The rings are a real PITA without compression tools. Not to mention it was -16F outside and our small heater in the garage kept it about 30. In that trip i got it most of the way back together. Just need to attach the pipe and install the secondary and it should be good to go.

Thanks for all the help, next time it will take 1/2 as long i am sure.

KO

Premium Features