• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat specific tool kit

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I'm putting together a tool kit for my tunnel bag. My Skidoo buddies have the BRP brand kit that has every socket and wrench you need to strip a sled basically, and nothing more. I like this idea and I want to replicate it for an Ascender chassis. I haven't worked on these sleds a ton, so I don't know what all sizes of bolts exist, and what specialty tools are needed. So, what is in your lean (no-bs) tool kit, here is what I have so far

Misc:
vice grips, adjustable wrench, pliers, knife
Sockets:
8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm (more sizes?)
Wrenches:
10mm, 12mm, 14mm
allen, torx wrench set

This list is meant to be TOOLS ONLY. I carry other misc parts, but for simplicity, you can leave that out unless it's a really niche piece that is out of the ordinary

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I carry a small piece of rope for remove and install of exhaust springs, a pen style flashlight and retractable magnet.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
while youre at it pack a drill, rivet gun, and new rear tunnel section.
Haha! just playin man.
only thing i added to my kit was a small crescent wrench. drilled some holes down the length of the handle so it's buradnt approved ?

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
while youre at it pack a drill, rivet gun, and new rear tunnel section.
Haha! just playin man.
only thing i added to my kit was a small crescent wrench. drilled some holes down the length of the handle so it's buradnt approved ?

haha! If I had room I would! I have learned to carry a spare upper arm (love how they are interchangeable Left/Right) and a tie rod

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
A little disappointed in the lack of input here! I started with a small tool kit as posted above, and have made some adjustments.

I added:
deep sockets, a 15mm (polaris quickdrive) and 16mm (polaris track tension).
magnet on a stick
real spark plug sockets
misc: upper a arm, tie rod, ski rubber, random bolts

I need a good place to stash removed hardware, any ideas?

VQOoAAIZTVWqO+0t5cJ7yA.jpg s%7cRL6iQNCFhkq305r7iQ.jpg

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Not sure what else you’re wanting for input. You’ve got everything I’ve seen in most cat bags, more than most.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If that's your "lean" tool kit I'd hate to see what you take in the "fat" version!

I had a buddy that legitimately carried a come along for a while. He was new to the sport and thought it might be handy to "winch" himself out if he was stuck by himself or to straighten something that's really bent.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My kit for 6-10 family members on cats is in a roll that fits in my rear seat zipper.
If it’s fixable it can be done with that small a stash.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
For example

Your dikes, needle nosed, two pair of vise grips and carpet cutters are all exactly the same tool to me in an emergency.

Pick one but not the carpet cutters, leave the rest in the truck.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
If you have all those wrenches what’s the crescent for?
It won’t fit or rotate in 99.9 percent of your bolt locations.
Good for a hammer or pry though.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
If that's your "lean" tool kit I'd hate to see what you take in the "fat" version!

I had a buddy that legitimately carried a come along for a while. He was new to the sport and thought it might be handy to "winch" himself out if he was stuck by himself or to straighten something that's really bent.
haha yeah it's the lean version. The 'fat' is two totes that stay in the truck with a junk yard worth of parts ?
For example

Your dikes, needle nosed, two pair of vise grips and carpet cutters are all exactly the same tool to me in an emergency.

Pick one but not the carpet cutters, leave the rest in the truck.
If you have all those wrenches what’s the crescent for?
It won’t fit or rotate in 99.9 percent of your bolt locations.
Good for a hammer or pry though.
I think having the proper tools makes projects far more convenient, which is a plus when in inconvenient situations. I might swap some of those out for a pair of Knipex pliers or something, and I might drop the crescent as well.

As for why, I broke an a arm 20+ miles from the truck a while back, and one guy just 'had it all' and was an awesome resource. We all were really lucky to have him around, I want to be 'that guy' in my riding groups.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have the 6” knipex as the solution to all of those.

Having the right tools is fantastic in the trailer.
You’ve also got to consider how many miles you’re going to carry those tools and never need them.

For the money it costs to lighten up its silly to carry dead weight.
Necessities are a must, “convenience” as you called it however can become a hinderance.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
A little disappointed in the lack of input here! I started with a small tool kit as posted above, and have made some adjustments.

I added:
deep sockets, a 15mm (polaris quickdrive) and 16mm (polaris track tension).
magnet on a stick
real spark plug sockets
misc: upper a arm, tie rod, ski rubber, random bolts

I need a good place to stash removed hardware, any ideas?

In the hole of the seat. Or just remove the seat and carve out a little foam and set it in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I have the 6” knipex as the solution to all of those.

Having the right tools is fantastic in the trailer.
You’ve also got to consider how many miles you’re going to carry those tools and never need them.

For the money it costs to lighten up its silly to carry dead weight.
Necessities are a must, “convenience” as you called it however can become a hinderance.

Yeah, this is going to be a forever-evolving tool pouch for me, with time comes experience! I'm 6'4 and 240 pounds, probably half your age, so 5-10 pounds on the tunnel is no biggie for me!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Dont forgot the 17mm socket for the steering post when it loosens up on the bottom bracket .
Had that happen before. Steering got a little sloppy, but not a day ender. I snapped off a top ball joint after hooking a ski on a rock and others have had the bolt pull the threads out of the triangle nut. So carrying a top ball joint, jamb nut, and the bolt/nut that hold it the spindle would be higher on the list for me than a whole upper a-arm. I sheared off a spindle one time and rode out 8-10 miles on one ski. It wasn't fun, but doable so if I wreck an a-arm so bad I can't patch it together with a shovel handle that'll be the plan again.

For tools I have the OEM kit out of my 2014 plus a few additions:
-Leatherman wave handles the plier, cutting, small screwdriver, and spring pulling duties
-light nylon strap that can wrap around the clutch to start if recoil goes out. can also be used to lash parts of the sled back together.
-light nylon cinch strap. Can also be used to tie things together or used as a tow strap.
-dozen zip ties, electrical tape, a little bit of gorilla tape re-wrapped into a smaller roll.
-various fuses
-shock nut spanner wrench. I run all Floats now, but others sometimes need them and can be used to re-tighten the track shaft nuts if they come loose.
-OEM phillips/flat reversible screwdriver
-OEM plug wrench
-10, 11, 12, 13, 14mm wrenches
-7/16", 1/2", 9/16" wrenches
-1/4" ratchet and short extension
-3/8" socket to get primary cover bolts off
-Torx bit to go on ratchet to get the bolts out of the chain case cover. This is to be able to change my belt on the belt drive, but also helpful to be able to get the chain out if it breaks so you can tow the sled out.
-small torx to get the handlebar controls apart
-OEM double torx to use in the screwdriver handle (20/25?)
-OEM double torx tool (27/30?) that can loosen/tighten the handlebar riser if it folds in a hit.
-Belt removal tool with a rubber hose slid on the threads to protect them from dings
-Blue loctite stick

I don't have any in the sled, but need to put some medium sized hose clamps in to fasten sticks or shovel handles to broken a-arms.

Premium Features