Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
EJCmoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgrading my current bike on ST Mountain Horse

Hello,
New to the forum and looks like there's a lot of great info on snow bikes here. Late last season I purchased a 2014 mountain horse 120 kit and put it on my 2016 Husky TC250 2 stroke. I didn't get a good test in powder as it was a pretty set up snow, but it was amazing how fun it was on snow I wouldn't have wanted to ride a sled on.

Now I also have a 2014 KX450f which I am considering putting on the kit. Do these bikes have a lot more issues in the cold? figuring I will need to modify the airbox and run a thermostat of some sort. Guess I am mostly trying to figure out which bike will work better. Half my riding is done in Upper Michigan the other half in Idaho/Montana. Would like the bike to be fun at high elevation still. I do have a sled for deep powder days.
Any input appreciated. Thank you!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Currently: is it winter yet?
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,191 Posts
Wheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeWheel House Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much any motocross 450 bike is easier to setup ideally to perform in deep snow then a 2 stroke. To match the 450's ability you pretty much need a to punch the 250 out to a 300 with a little more compression and porting for snow making it a little less of an ideal dirtbike.

The 450, you pretty much need a good intake, some shrouding and a thermostat and your golden, also things you would have to do to the 250 on top of the HP mods.

A KX with an ST is a TON of fun out west even on the deep days. You definately need a group of bikes to truely see their ability but It is amazing where they will take you.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Tempel294 is an unknown quantity at this point

We ride with a guy on a 13'-15' KX450F and his bike works great. Like ole' Wheel House said, just do a thermostat and some engine shrouding and you'll be good to go.
I never saw any Kawasaki air forks collapse in the cold, but I have seen some WPs go flat. That would be the only thing you might consider looking into, some KYB PSF seals that hold pressure in colder weather.

Rate this post: Yes | No