• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 MC 1000 diet ideas

A
Mar 1, 2009
Alaska
Hey, thinking about buying a 02 MC 1000 151. The thing literaly looks like it came off the showroom floor. It has 450 miles on it has ATTAC, clear gas tank but otherwise stock. I have a mod M1000 and was thinking about buying a 09 M1000 but have been having second thoughts.

I am very familiar with that old chassis so I know it wont crawl and roll through the trees like a M but I am not familiar enough with the possibility of dropping 50-75 lbs off the old T-Cat chassis, maybe it's not possible without a second mortgage.

Any thoughts or opinions on dropping weight or at least making it transfer better???

Thanks

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i know they had the 1000 listed in the 02 catalog but have never actually seen one. thought the last year was 01, are the sides green or black???

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
i know they had the 1000 listed in the 02 catalog but have never actually seen one. thought the last year was 01, are the sides green or black???

Here's a video of one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdukZb--KJ8

2002mtncat1000.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
love the yeah at the end, first time i've ever actually seen a real one. guess they made very few. love the factory side panel vents...

A
Mar 1, 2009
Alaska
Still see quite a few up here in Alaska. The new 1000 will never compare in stock form to the old 999cc triple 1000, wish a guy could shoe-horn one into the M-Chassis.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Why would you go from an 07 or 08 sled to an 02. I doubt you would like the downgrade in the chassis as the M chassis is amazing. Go with the 09 M1000. The 09 M is a great sled and lost 22 pounds from 08. The power claw is also a sweet track.

A
Mar 1, 2009
Alaska
I understand what your saying about it being a downgrade, but I wander if the 09 M1000 in stock form would really make me happy, from what I have heard they still need some work to make them run. My 07 M1000 dynos over 215 hp but I am required to run upper 90's octane and that really screws me from riding back into the remote lodges for the wknd, so I am looking for a bone stock motor that will run consistently without alot of work. Plus the trail ride of that old chassis is much better than the M's for the long rides in to the lodges.
I still have 00 T-Cat MC 136 a still enjoy very much trail riding it .

KMMAC He is asking 4500, a little high according to NADA but probably willing to deal a little.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Ouch! My only concern would be how it was stored,, I had a zrt 8 and after letting it set for one season the counter balance shaft bearings seized. So the next time I rode it the gearing seizure caused that gear to not mesh well with the gear on the crank and in a matter of a few hours chewed both gears up and put a hole in the case end of story...Are there any pics. of this sled available?? Might be interested if you're not. Willing to bet that ALL of the drive bearings would have to be replaced just for piece of mind.. Along with track suspension wheel bearings also. LOVE these engines,, if you get a good one . Weight is not that much of an issue. Easy to chop off gobs of weight on one of these. Is it 151?

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
If you really want/need the thrill a triple I would buy it. Then buy one of the hundreds of King Cats for sale and do a motor swap. Then part out what you don't need. You would be in it pretty cheap. Motor should be a bolt in. You get an updated chassis with air shocks and titanium. You will loose a ton of weight and get a 162. You get the drop and roll to. It's a no brainer. I wouldn't pay $4500 for a tcat either, not any time of year. NADA is total out in this economy and this time of year.

A
Mar 1, 2009
Alaska
Good point KMMAC, I hadn't really thought of the negative possibilites with the low mileage. I do have a pic,send me a PM and I will forward the email and # so you can contact the guy if you decide to. I'm not that bent on buying it that I wouldn't share the info.

Ultra, no I am not set on buying a triple. I would love a King. That is if I could find one that some slednecks wannabee didn't thrash and trash already. I agree with you, in this economy and being April 1st it's a buyers market.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Best of both worlds, triple King Cat:

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

And having ridden both a '01 T-cat mountain cat, and a newer King Cat, I would go with the 900 twin over the 1000 triple. Put the 975 kit on the 900, and you've got very nearly the power of the triple, with much less weight.

Now this triple ^^ on the other hand.... I've not ridden a sled this much fun before.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
kelly.macomber@comcast.net This sled would have to be a REALLY good deal to come look. Like I said earlier, but I am looking and do like the triple regardless of weight. Stock decent hp is the way, well maybe modified a little. Would buy a king chassis or some left over tube chassis . Don't mind the mechanics of fitting 1+1 together. Might consider putting it in an M also. So, does anyone know of one of these sleds maybe even in the box on a back lot somewhere?? Or a COMPLETE motor and All hardware? Must be out of the mountain cat chassis don't really want to mess with finding longer cables and such. Any help would be appreciated. Gettin ready for hip surgery pretty soon, would like summer project. Idcatman3,, how's that new triple runnin??

Last edited:
Premium Features