• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can 4 strokes boondock like 2 strokes?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I Just got back from a awesome tree ride 3 feet of heavy wet spring stuff and the Apex did just fine for me --- it is not as light as a 2-stroke and you need top set it up with a good after-market skid -15 wide track and loose a bunch off weight for it to be competitive. That said I did all that to this one except turbo and will take on any 2 strokes without looking bad.
Am I tired right now?? dam right I am. But I feel good..........
If you are not tired after burning a tank in 3 feet of sticky stuff you just did not ride hard enough period.:face-icon-small-hap
I like to use the stock engine Apex cause it is more work and I have to ride it more precise and do stuff just right, my turbo RX just floats through this stuff without effort not halve as tiring and much more forgiving, but the arms end up 2' longer at the end of the day.:face-icon-small-ton

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Rode 2 strokes for years and loved them... my last one was a M1000 and then I got a chance to get an Apex pretty cheap so I did and never looked back, rode it with a lot of light weight parts and went every where my buddies did in the trees.
My wife really wanted one, we had the chance to get one and hers has a turbo with light weight parts... she has a blast and can keep up with the guys in all conditions from tight trees to the steep and deep. She loves doing really tight donuts and side hilling. I put a turbo on mine at the end of last year and now love it even more. I like point and shoot stuff but what I like the most is side hilling and technical short climbs through tight trees.:face-icon-small-hap

We ride with a number of guys every weekend and the sled of choice are TApex's... a couple of them even have two... one race gas high boost sled and another pump gasser.

Wish I had video for you...

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
This whole boon docking thing cracks me up. Who gives a tickers @$$ about boon docking with all the chutes out there yet to be climbed? The progression of mountain riding has been centered around hill climbing for the passed thirty years. That's what we spent our hard earned money on, building sleds that would out highmark our buddies. All of the advancement in mountain motor performance from pipes, to long tracks, to nos, to turbo's has been about getting the highmark. Boon docking is for light weights who don't have the sack to keep up with the progression of hill climbing. The truth is nobody cares how well you can boon dock. All that matters is can you get the highmark. Boon docking is to riding what golf is to sports. It's for gay guys. lol.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
problem with this thread is that yamaha guys think boondocking is spinning some donuts in a meadow. real tree riding is where manageable power (big bore or pump gas turbo 2-stroke) combined with a lightweight sled allow you to manoeuvre through tight trees on a side hill. we all know that modified yamahas are the hill climbing kings and no one will debate that.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
problem with this thread is that yamaha guys think boondocking is spinning some donuts in a meadow. real tree riding is where manageable power (big bore or pump gas turbo 2-stroke) combined with a lightweight sled allow you to manoeuvre through tight trees on a side hill. we all know that modified yamahas are the hill climbing kings and no one will debate that.

But, neither big bores or 2 stroke turbo's were engineered with the thought in mind of making them better boon docking sleds. It was all about the highmark. Only after it became obvious that they still could not get the mark did they become good boon docking sleds. It's all about the high mark. You either have to stay in the game and keep hunting the highmark, or you retire and sit on the porch with the boon dockers. lol.

Don't take this personally and send me all kinds of BAD comments, I could care less, just having fun.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Spur likes to climb and is missing out on the best riding there is -- to bad for him and Jhurkot must have been out riding with him.

Both feel superior for there own reasons -- I like it all -- and do all the riding there is to be had no mater if my sled or I are good enough for it.

I just do it for Fun not sure about you guys:face-icon-small-hap

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
Spur likes to climb and is missing out on the best riding there is -- to bad for him and Jhurkot must have been out riding with him.

Both feel superior for there own reasons -- I like it all -- and do all the riding there is to be had no mater if my sled or I are good enough for it.

I just do it for Fun not sure about you guys:face-icon-small-hap[/QUOT

Spur likes to be in the hunt in all aspects of riding. Yamaha provides me with that ability. Rather it's the best boondocking sled or not it gets the job done. I'll boon dock all day long and love every minute of it, I just don't want to be sitting at the bottom of the hill picking my nose when the hill banging starts. That's what separates the men from the boys. Boon docking requires skill. Skill can be acquired with practice. Climbing these days requires sack. Sack is something your born with. When your sitting at the bottom of the chutes being climbed these days all the skill in the world means nothing if you don't have the sack to try it. It's an adrenalin rush fewer and fewer guys have the guts for. Yup, I want it all. The skills and the thrills, something only a 4 stroke can provide.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
wow spur you really like pumping up your own tires huh?

How is riding a sled that gives me at least the ability to be competitive both boon docking and hill climbing pumping my own tires. I think everyone should want to be good at what they do. To be a well rounded mountain rider you have to have a sled that will allow you to excel in both facets of mountain riding, boon docking and hill climbing. I've never said I was good at either one. I just know with hill banging where it is today you really limit your opportunity to be competitive if you ride a 2 stroke, but you don't limit your opportunity to be a competitive boon docker if you ride a 4 stroke. Rather it takes more work or not is irrelevant as long as the opportunity is not taken away. I'm not afraid of work as long as it gives me opportunity.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

I just do it for Fun not sure about you guys:face-icon-small-hap[/QUOT

Spur likes to be in the hunt in all aspects of riding. Yamaha provides me with that ability. Rather it's the best boondocking sled or not it gets the job done. I'll boon dock all day long and love every minute of it, I just don't want to be sitting at the bottom of the hill picking my nose when the hill banging starts. That's what separates the men from the boys. Boon docking requires skill. Skill can be acquired with practice. Climbing these days requires sack. Sack is something your born with. When your sitting at the bottom of the chutes being climbed these days all the skill in the world means nothing if you don't have the sack to try it. It's an adrenalin rush fewer and fewer guys have the guts for. Yup, I want it all. The skills and the thrills, something only a 4 stroke can provide.

Wow Spur, you really hit the nail on the head there, nice !

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
A lot and I mean a lot depends on the rider. This winter I found a new sport....taking the smack talkers down in some sh!thole and leaving them for a bit as I cruise out. Usually adjusts the attitude quite a bit for them.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
A lot and I mean a lot depends on the rider. This winter I found a new sport....taking the smack talkers down in some sh!thole and leaving them for a bit as I cruise out. Usually adjusts the attitude quite a bit for them.

That is fun. Funny how they don't have to much to say after you help them get out!!

S
May 31, 2008
sitting at the same hill all day long and climbing a few inches higher than the last guy is pretty gay. but you can continue to do that and save all the good snow for me. And burandt this and burandt that, come on, get off this dudes di*k already. were all out there because we love sledding, period...! and thats my 2 cents, like it or not.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Chris Burandt is arguably the best rider in the world. With that said, you probably won't see any footage just like that vid since he doesn't ride a boosted Yammi. You don't need 300 hp if you ride in the tight trees day in and out. Many of the big HP yammis are purpose built for the "Steep & Deep." If I'm going to be riding in tight crazy trees all day I'd probably bring out the M7.

IMO a low boost Nytro could be setup just fine for that style of riding. Now my M10 equipped Apex at 20 lbs........I would probably just blast up the virgin chute off to the side and hopefully see your M1000 at the top once you found a trail up through the trees....J/K...:thumb:

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My Sled is the best for everything ---period----

It's mine and paid for ---I get to ride it any time I want to.

And seeing that there seem to be a ton of people that can not ride a 4-stroke in the trees makes me feel all the beter when I do the "Impossible" :face-icon-small-ton:horn:

Suck it up you Pu---sy's :rose::rose::rose:
Grow some Ball's and Quit the whining -- proove yourself on a sled not the internet -- Ride your 2 banger instead of slinging bull:painkiller:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
My Sled is the best for everything ---period----

It's mine and paid for ---I get to ride it any time I want to.

And seeing that there seem to be a ton of people that can not ride a 4-stroke in the trees makes me feel all the beter when I do the "Impossible" :face-icon-small-ton:horn:

Suck it up you Pu---sy's :rose::rose::rose:
Grow some Ball's and Quit the whining -- proove yourself on a sled not the internet -- Ride your 2 banger instead of slinging bull:painkiller:

Amen! Everything I've always believed wrapped up in one post...shoot, now I don't have to go to church after the gospel truth that was just bestowed upon us! :D

Premium Features