• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about narrowing the handle bars.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
What are your thoughts about narrowing or buying narrower handle bars?
It seams like it would be less of a reach when leaning over the sled.
Is there any down sides to narrow bars?
I don't want them any shorter, I'm 6'2" and stock are all ready not as high as I would like them. I'm going to try it with out the bar riser this year and see if I can be comfortable.
I am thinking cutting at least an inch off each side of the stock pro tapers .

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I ened up changing out to a set of Dan Adam's Fly bars and actually narrowed them up too. After speaking with Dan himself, he recomended narrowing them up about 1 3/8" on each end. He highly recomended it and stated it should help with arm fatigue as well as helping with side hilling.

After taking several measurements, to where I thought it felt good, I ended up cutting about 1 1/4" off each end. I have no miles on this mod yet but I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I also did a write up, with pics and posted everything up on here.

So in other words.........give it try, the worst thing that happens, you don't like it and you can sell the bars and pick up another set pretty easy.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
u bet

I would take at least an inch off each side, you'll like it. I'm also 6'2" and prefer the riser also, I'm not a little shorty "pro" rider, so, I see no need to force myself to adjust to equipment that "they" prefer.. Find your comfort zone...

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I think, I got my Dan Adams down to 25". That was on my Dragon.

My Pro I just put on KC bars. I couldn't get them near as narrow. If I have to, I am going back to Dan Adams with a riser. See how the first few rides go.

Last edited:

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I narrowed my stock Pro tapers on my 13. Can't say that I noticed a huge difference. It's hard to get more than about 5/8" on each side because the controls start to get into the bends of the bar. That said I did not bother narrowing the bars on my 14 or 15.
Whatever you do I would highly recommend corking any aluminum bar, the heaters work day and night better!

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
The pro tappers measure around 28 1/2"
If I do some massaging on the throttle block I may be able to get down to 26"
Sounds like that might be enough.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I took 5/8" off each side and use a 1" riser. It is much better for me. I am 6'1" tall. I would have gone even more narrow but 5/8 is about all you can do on the stock bars.

sledhappy

Premium Member
Nov 22, 2008
I'm 6'2 and I am running shorter rsi bars and love it. I would also consider narrowing the width. Rice with buddies who kept stock height and you can tell a difference

J
Dec 23, 2007
vernal,ut
I am glad this post came up. I just put a set of RSI bars in the wife's sled today and cut the bends off and used the stock handlebar ends from the pro tapers. They ended up around 26" wide and almost seems to pull over easier and was thinking about doing it to my sled but wanted to get some info first but sounds like it may be the thing to do so hopefully with your guys' input and hopefully a few miles on her sled this week end I can come up with a solid thought on if I will do it but am already leaning toward yes

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
I have the Rsi burandt 5" rise bars on both my pros. I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'4". I cut a little over an inch on both sides of her bars and 5\8" on both sides of my bars. I absolutely love them. Personal preference I suppose but I noticed a little less arm fatigue by doing this. Might be in my head but that's okay with me. I would do the same thing again for sure!

Premium Features