• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

20 ARO3 to 23 ARO Gen 2 Narrow rail spacing?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
20 ARO to 23 Gen 2 conversion? Or at least just the narrow rail spacing?

I am buying a 20 ARO 3 from a buddy. Track is looking a little rough with a missing paddle and couple torn ones.

I’m thinking I will put a new track on it. If I am doing that, can I convert to the 23 track and narrow rail spacing?

Would need a front arm but what else would I need to make it work like the new Gen 2 setup?

Can I move the drivers?

Can I use the existing shocks and rails?

Anyone doing this or already done it?

I am not a machinist but have a CNC end mill, lathe, welder, as well as a press at my work so can modify or make parts if I needed to.

I am thinking the narrow rail spacing is no problem. Even if I just cut the arms and axles to make it work and order the 23 driveshaft?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Well I looked at a 2022 and 2023 ARO3 and I don't think I am going to attempt this

The main problem is the shock reservoirs. They turned the reservoirs 90 degrees on the 23 and the older 22 setup will not clear the narrow rail spacing. I didn't notice this vs my 2018 because it has no reservoirs. I could put the shocks off my 2018 kit on, but I think the shocks are probably more of an upgrade than the track.

Everything else looks easy. Remove the rear arm, cut down the front arm and shafts. Slide the drivers over, cut off a 1/4" of plastic to get the room and it would be easy. Unfortunately the shocks are over $1000 each and you can't get the reservoir from Polaris separate, so that kills that idea. Looks like Z bros shocks do not have the reservoir in the center either.

It is interesting that the hyfax is the same width yet the 23 track window is a 1/4" narrower.

The rear lower shock shaft is in the same location 22 vs 23.

The inside to inside rail spacing changed from about 8.55" to 5.55" but the front arm looks like just enough enough room to cut 1.5" from each side.

Premium Features