• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P0116 Code Issue

pshirek

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2012
ND
Hey Everyone I've got a '17 that has given off a P0116 code. Once after a yard sale that it ended up on its side, and twice after running on really bumpy trails. Second time I have the engine temp up on the gauge running down the trail, was fine, and then when the code came on it started blinking from 130F to -40F.

A Quick search on the code said potential causes of the P0116 code include: Missing or stuck-open thermostat
Bad ECT sensor Short or open on signal wire
Short or open on ground wire
Poor connections in wiring

Anyone have this and replace the sensor and then it fix it? Also, when I got back home and was looking at it a couple days later the coolant was pretty low in the bottle but when I opened it up to add more the thing overflowed, is this common? Never had any issues with previous sleds so was never messing around with it.

Thanks

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Based on the symptoms, I'd be looking for a loose, worn or broken wire. It's normal for coolant levels to sit low on Doos, after the system has been pressurized and cycled.

Last edited:
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
If you haven't had the wiring harness replaced on your 17 yet chances are good this is what the issue is. I had same symptons. 2 new harnesses later and good to go.

pshirek

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2012
ND
If you haven't had the wiring harness replaced on your 17 yet chances are good this is what the issue is. I had same symptons. 2 new harnesses later and good to go.

Well shoot, I'm a couple months out of warranty on this thing...Did they replace the whole main harness?

Last edited:
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Yes they did, The first time the dealer did the install. They did a terrible job routing it so I had them give me a new updated one and installed myself. There was 2 updates to the harness. It is a big job to install one properly. The sled needs to be tore down and the harness routed carefully. There is a lot of areas where the harness can rub through. Mine has been good since. One problem area is the harness behind the thermostat, both of my harnesses wore through there and broke wires internally.

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
Bad wiring harness......my buddy had the exact same symptoms of his 17. Warranty covered it.

I'm interested if your buddy had more issues than just this one. I just took my 17 to the dealer for the exact same code and they found a broken wire on the main harness which they wouldn't cover under warranty.

S
Jan 15, 2008
North idaho
Had the same issue. Supposedly there is only 1 year coverage on the harness? Anyway my dealer found a broken wire right near the temp sensor plug from a tight zip tie. They fixed me up and didn't even charge me! They're great guys and had me running by the next weekend!

Premium Features