• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats the best MC, Impluse, or maybe?

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
PL kit stg 3,, ive got over 2000 km on kit, hasnt let me down yet!! I built sled last season had a cracked intercooler end of last season, only issue ive had gas and go..

Ive ridden my buddies MCX, Alpine Nytro, Alpine Apex, PL nytro, mine seems to have the best bottom snap,, but some of the others hit harder in the mid due to higher compression, porting and no head shim etc..
Boooost On

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Just fine

How does your Powder Lites system work for you. The only ones I have seen riding were not working well at all. Fuelling was way off. Owner said he had tried to get fixed by manufacturer with no luck and was thinking of taking his sled to a competitor's shop to try and get it to work.
Who has concluded that fueling was way off and what specifically do you mean by that?
Just my opinion here but if the "owner" your reffering to is Dave @ PL and you say he can't fix it I'm a bit confused. They build these systems and they work and if there is one that doesn't work they figure it out....they are not that complex. Most of the issues with any of these systems is usually the install. PL did not do my original install but the guy who did it had done MCExpress for his dealership and still does and he does very good work with them. He did make some mistakes on my install though(fuel line routing and pinched coolant lines) and that caused some grief for me but PL has fixed everything and did the stage 3 last fall from scratch and it is a monster. It runs every day I ask it too and it hangs with sleds that claim to be "similar" in performance #'s e.g. MCX 270kit and even the PL310 rear mount Apex that my buddy has. Both if these systems work very well too but the bottom end of the PLNytro system gets them off the line and that's about the only difference.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
I am just going by what the owner of the Nytro was telling me. Said his AFR was all over the place. It did not seem to run very clean with hesitation at times in the bottom from what we saw. He mentioned that he had just gotten it back from PL after taking it back and complaining and this is how it was running. He was not very happy and was going to try taking it somewhere else. Was a real nice lookin machine but it ran like crap.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I can't see going too wrong with Impulse, MCX or PL. I've seen them all run strong and all run like crap. All these sleds will have their issues at times, get a good install is the key cause fundamentally they are all the same it's usually just tuning. You might as well wrap your head around the thought that eventually you will need to learn about A/F's, ignition timing and fuel delivery, it's just a fact. If you understand what's going on it makes it way easier for the dealer to fix a problem rather than just telling him this sled is running like crap, then you can point directly to the problem, boom, done, fixed.

M5

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
so is it true you cant have reverse on a BD kit??? mcx I heard makes a little less power but more "gas and go" set up.... I really dont know but Im asking because, I to em looking at what to buy!

No that isn't true. You can use your reverse with a BD setup.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm a huge MCX fan. I have 5000km boosted and it has really been trouble free. I have seen a few of the kits mentioned on the snow and some seem to work and some don't. Install is huge !

I would like to throw a leg over a Impulse to try it out. However i know i would go with a MCX on my next sled. To me it is proven and reliable and there are tons on the snow with trouble shooting at your finger tips if ever needed.

As for the PL kit mentioned earlier in this thread i was also there and the owner was very disappointed with his 20+ thousand dollar sled. It ran like a bag of smashed a$$holes ! No one wanted to help him out. Pretty poor for a 6000+ dollar kit.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
If your in Canada, then I would suggest the Alpine kit. If you truly want to go over 300 hp then the MC is probably out without some significant upgrades. Alpine has really looked after us and we ride our sleds pretty hard. The kit also comes with a 40 ltr tank and a new seat.

Apr 21, 2008
No matter where you are I would suggest the impulse kit. They have awesome customer service and I have seen several on the snow and they work well.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
MCX makes a good kit for sure, but the header is stronger with the impulse and shorter for better spool up. You run a bigger fuel tank being part of the kit. Surge tank for a little added protection on a long pull. A air intake that has way less chance of plugging up with snow and ice. 17 psi on pump gas. And a intercooler design that has very little chance of blowing off.There is no heat issues with the impulse but yet still a mid mount.The impulse kit in my opinion will make more power boost for boost and has more reliable components that make up a kit. And customer service is top notch. All in all you cant go wrong with either one, i just think the impulse is the better choice...

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
MCX makes a good kit for sure, but the header is stronger with the impulse and shorter for better spool up. You run a bigger fuel tank being part of the kit. Surge tank for a little added protection on a long pull. A air intake that has way less chance of plugging up with snow and ice. 17 psi on pump gas. And a intercooler design that has very little chance of blowing off.There is no heat issues with the impulse but yet still a mid mount.The impulse kit in my opinion will make more power boost for boost and has more reliable components that make up a kit. And customer service is top notch. All in all you cant go wrong with either one, i just think the impulse is the better choice...

All this is great but having very few dealer locations would make it a tough decision for a newbee to the turbo fourstroke. Mcxpress is professionally installed at most Yamaha dealers making it a quick fix if something goes wrong. But who am I to talk I own a propane kit with only two dealers world wide lol

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
I went impulse as a "newbee" to the turbo fourtstroke. Did the install myself, its pretty straightforward to install a turbo. Most of it is just bolt and go, especially with the standalone no worrying about tuning in a box. Guess I prefer to know how my sled works instead of having it installed by almost any yamaha dealer. Sure if something is wrong might be a quick fix but when you are stranded out on the snow staring at the sled having no idea of where to look could be frustrating, especially if it ends up being something simple like a loose wire, or having something slip off.

And if I didn't want to install it myself I would not hesitate to make a 12-15 hour drive to a dealer to have an impulse kit installed.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
I would love to here why you think Pauls kit would make more power boost for boost. I know it is just your opinion...but you must have a reason. I personally think that all being equal, the kit that can cool the air the best would make the most power. At least thats what science would tell me.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I would love to here why you think Pauls kit would make more power boost for boost. I know it is just your opinion...but you must have a reason. I personally think that all being equal, the kit that can cool the air the best would make the most power. At least thats what science would tell me.

isn't the 2860 rated to flow more air then the 16t that MCX uses??

Premium Features