• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 mototrax?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Let me ask this.. how many complaints do you hear about CMX or Snowtech from their customers?
I would agree... It comes down to communication and enough employees to support the product... Another thing to think about is once you are into the companies you mentioned I think you are a pretty seasoned rider.. but I could be wrong...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

W
Feb 23, 2009
That’s ludicrous!

You see Polaris buying everyone a new sled in 05/06 when the 900 was a FLOP!? Or arctic cat or ski doo buying everyone 30 belts a season just to keep on the snow? NOPE!!

It’s a risk everyone that bought a mototrax kit took on their own. The “cheaper new thing” isn’t what they say it is......

Kinda like falling for one of those Craigslist or email scams, Promising great things for no effort at all! Hahah.

You ever buy a 30 pack of underwear or socks? That right there will teach you why you seemingly get so much for so little.

Them drawers will have You “pinch and rolling” all day. And those socks........... you’ll pull up your pant leg to pull up the sock that you think is there. But the band is actually somewhere around the arch of your foot!!!

Everyone is ready to hop on the next new thing. Sometimes it’s cheaper some times it’s not. And then when that new Lil company tanks, people are looking for compensation.

You can wish and post on forums in one hand and take a big dookie in your other hand. One will fill up pretty quickly the other will not.

If I buy a product, and I don't care what type of product, and it has a one year warranty, I expect the manufacturer to warranty that product when it breaks. My second ride left me stranded 20+ miles from the snow park, and a 2-mile hike to where I knew some help would be, because my rails **** themselves out of the rear skid. That was failure #1. They knew this was a problem because they were testing a fix at the beginning of the season. I saw the prototype myself. I was very patient with them and was assured, as were the dealers, that repair parts would be warrantied. Replacing a poorly designed component, that they knew would fail, with the same thing is not a "fix" in my book. It doesn't inspire any confidence to get out of eye sight of your truck.

If I couldn't bring a product to market that wouldn't be anymore reliable than this kit was, I would say its not ready for the market. As for the price I paid, the cost of the kit was not that big of a factor to me. They established the sale price, not me. I liked the concept, and believed them when they said they had a warranty, and most of all, they were local kids that I wanted to support. It's not my fault they don't have any ethics in the way they transact business.

As for Polaris, that is exactly why i have never owned one of there products and never will. If I took products to market that didn't perform better than this, I'd feel like I cheated the customer. But hey, apparently, that's just me.

MT should have sold 100 kits the first year and let the "bugs" and design flaws
get addressed, (hence the 2018 kit) and they would have been able to fix the kits and not been over whelmed with warranty issues.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So just saw Rocky Mountain ATV now sells mototrax..... Interesting.... maybe they will back the kit right;) Full disclosure I had one last year...

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
I was waiting on some parts and hounding them, finally I was told by a mototrax employee that staffing changes were made and that is why I had not received my parts. The following week Randy commented on a facebook post stating it was not true, seems a bit odd to have a employee saying one thing and one of the founders saying another. They need some solid management if they're going to survive.

Either way here is a article that has some decent information on them and their investors.

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-news/investors-enticed-by-snow-cycling-manufacturer-mototrax/

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Been waiting on some things from them as well. Finally got through to someone today, and was informed about the staffing changes. Really hoping that these changes are for the better in the long run. The two people who have been the most responsive in my dealings with them are no longer employed...

jfitz94

Premium Member
Jul 12, 2013
In the past I mainly dealt with Danny when ordering parts. He was helpful but often the parts didn't actually get shipped until I made a follow up call to check on them. Right before Christmas I called to order parts and spoke with Sam whom I had not spoken with before. While on the phone he checked to make sure they had the parts, emailed the invoice, and asked me to verify the invoice contained all the parts I needed. He then told me that my order had been entered and I would receive tracking soon. I was emailed the tracking within an hour. In the end I ended up receiving the parts a day earlier than first expected. I don't know if or what changes have been made at MotoTrax but I do hope that my future orders continue to be Handled in the fashion of my last one.

Dec 28, 2017
I have a 18 Enduro 120, I have 9 hours on the kit and one race so far. I have no other snowbike experience besides this kit and a ride on a buddies ARO 120. Full disclosure, I won my kit in a giveaway. I have 0 experience in the sport, but I do have considerable dirt experience.

Likes: the rear suspension is very good, progressive like a dirt bike, soaks up everything in its way, works fairly well everywhere. The kit handles well in fresh powder (8-12" with a base), carves well, feels very stable. Deep powder(24"+), floats better than expected. The whole kit performs very well in my opinion, based on the limited experience in the sport.

Dislikes: 2 hours ride time, every rivet in the rear of the tunnel had loosened up, causing a terrible rattling and vibration. Most of the bolts had loosened on the tunnel as well. I fixed the rivets by drilling them out and replacing the 8 rivets with grade 8 stainless bolts, stainless nordlocks and stainless nylocks. new rivets have been specd' for the tunnel, 1800lb test stainless vs the 260 lb al ones currently on the tunnel.
The ski tower failed to stay tight at the base, causing a "flat tire" feel to riding. I also added another brace to the rear lower of the tower in the wheel mount hole mimicking the one added to the front upper. Speaking of the ski, I feel it doesnt work well anywhere. The ski would track everywhere on the hard pack, almost like sand and too little tire presure. In the powder, it would sink, almost to fender level and wouldn't carve. I fixed most of the handling issues by lowereing rear preload 3/4", lowering the IDT 1", went 6 cicks softer on compression and rebound and 1 full turn out of fork spring(.6kg) pre-load. The rear shock(not the piggyback), I feel is valve a little fast. The valving is the same stack that is in the upgraded MT shock, pretty sure it needs to be looked at again.

5 hours in, chain adjuster bolts would not stay tight with out liberal amounts of blue lock tight. Track tensioner wouldn't hold the track in tension if there were any hard landing from jumps. Still haven't found a solution for the track tensioner issues.

9 hours on kit, was riding pretty well, the suspension changes had transformed the machine everywhere. The reduction in pre-load and rear ride height allowed the ski to float and ride better in the hardpack. Last issue to surface was the bushing connected to the motolink at the lower rear of the shock. I noticed some bushing material mushrooming out and galling between the mount and greasable link.

All in, mototrax customer service was pretty poor to start. Emails were answered days after sent, phone calls weren't answered. I ended up calling the dealer I won the kit from, whom I also purchased my bike from, explained the situation. Through my dealer, I was put in touch with one of the investors to explain the issues I am having. Since that call, my calls have been returned, fixes have been produced, parts to fix broken parts have come free of charge. Next race, I will see if the new parts and fixes clear up some of the issues. Overall, I am happy with the kit and the latest response from Mototrax. I feel thy might be on to something if the can keep the kit together and keep dealers and customers happy.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have a 18 Enduro 120, I have 9 hours on the kit and one race so far. I have no other snowbike experience besides this kit and a ride on a buddies ARO 120. Full disclosure, I won my kit in a giveaway. I have 0 experience in the sport, but I do have considerable dirt experience.

Likes: the rear suspension is very good, progressive like a dirt bike, soaks up everything in its way, works fairly well everywhere. The kit handles well in fresh powder (8-12" with a base), carves well, feels very stable. Deep powder(24"+), floats better than expected. The whole kit performs very well in my opinion, based on the limited experience in the sport.

Dislikes: 2 hours ride time, every rivet in the rear of the tunnel had loosened up, causing a terrible rattling and vibration. Most of the bolts had loosened on the tunnel as well. I fixed the rivets by drilling them out and replacing the 8 rivets with grade 8 stainless bolts, stainless nordlocks and stainless nylocks. new rivets have been specd' for the tunnel, 1800lb test stainless vs the 260 lb al ones currently on the tunnel.
The ski tower failed to stay tight at the base, causing a "flat tire" feel to riding. I also added another brace to the rear lower of the tower in the wheel mount hole mimicking the one added to the front upper. Speaking of the ski, I feel it doesnt work well anywhere. The ski would track everywhere on the hard pack, almost like sand and too little tire presure. In the powder, it would sink, almost to fender level and wouldn't carve. I fixed most of the handling issues by lowereing rear preload 3/4", lowering the IDT 1", went 6 cicks softer on compression and rebound and 1 full turn out of fork spring(.6kg) pre-load. The rear shock(not the piggyback), I feel is valve a little fast. The valving is the same stack that is in the upgraded MT shock, pretty sure it needs to be looked at again.

5 hours in, chain adjuster bolts would not stay tight with out liberal amounts of blue lock tight. Track tensioner wouldn't hold the track in tension if there were any hard landing from jumps. Still haven't found a solution for the track tensioner issues.

9 hours on kit, was riding pretty well, the suspension changes had transformed the machine everywhere. The reduction in pre-load and rear ride height allowed the ski to float and ride better in the hardpack. Last issue to surface was the bushing connected to the motolink at the lower rear of the shock. I noticed some bushing material mushrooming out and galling between the mount and greasable link.

All in, mototrax customer service was pretty poor to start. Emails were answered days after sent, phone calls weren't answered. I ended up calling the dealer I won the kit from, whom I also purchased my bike from, explained the situation. Through my dealer, I was put in touch with one of the investors to explain the issues I am having. Since that call, my calls have been returned, fixes have been produced, parts to fix broken parts have come free of charge. Next race, I will see if the new parts and fixes clear up some of the issues. Overall, I am happy with the kit and the latest response from Mototrax. I feel thy might be on to something if the can keep the kit together and keep dealers and customers happy.
Carbon copy of last year... Weird they could not work that out... At least the tracks not falling off....

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Carbon copy of last year... Weird they could not work that out... At least the tracks not falling off....

Yea sounds familiar. :juggle:

I changed bikes this year but have yet to install it, I got a new fit kit for the new bike without too much issue. Hope I have the right parts lol.

Premium Features