• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

apex wiring sensors ecu

anyone ever have a bad ecu on an apex if so how did it act... sometimes the lights dow't work .sometimes the thing won't start ..now its backfireing ..it worked well in the warm weather tho..or if its been in a heated garage ..code 20 intake air pressure .its bone stock..i've tooken the complete wire harness apart and checked and recheck for continuity..ideas anyone

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
you have 2 electrical boxes in the nose of the sled one has 2 plugs is your engine control unit the other with one is the rectifier & regulator.pull the plugs out of these boxes & check for moister,blow them out & put dielectric grease in plugs.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
anyone ever have a bad ecu on an apex if so how did it act... sometimes the lights dow't work .sometimes the thing won't start ..now its backfireing ..it worked well in the warm weather tho..or if its been in a heated garage ..code 20 intake air pressure .its bone stock..i've tooken the complete wire harness apart and checked and recheck for continuity..ideas anyone

http://www.snowandmud.com/yamaha-turbo-supercharged-447/what-ecu-worth-used-06-apex-86791.html

Talk to this guy , he was having the same problem , tried every thing , I sent him my stock ECU , problem fixed , he was have this code 20.?

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
You might look at the connector to the ignition switch and the white 3 wire connector above the starter. Check them for corrosion. Also check the hose that goes into the bottom of the sensor on the fuel rail between the 3&4 cylinders. Just went through a similar thing on a buddies sled.

You can do a manual reset of the code 20 from the diagnostic mode on the gauge.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I just had a code 20. I pulled off the intake pressure sensor and cleaned it with brake cleaner and it went off and hasn't come on for the last 3 rides.

http://www.snowandmud.com/yamaha-turbo-supercharged-447/what-ecu-worth-used-06-apex-86791.html

Talk to this guy , he was having the same problem , tried every thing , I sent him my stock ECU , problem fixed , he was have this code 20.?

yes i think this what i'm going to have to do ..runs good when its warm out or if its been in a garage...i've greased all the plug ins on the sled all of them ..i'd believe or do what code 20 told me to do if it wasn't for sometimes the lights don't work sometimes the fuel pump won't cycle till i flip the key a few time ..computers on a snowmobile make a guy wanna buy some carbs ...i've cleaned all the hoses that i could find too..i think i'll see if it will run today in the warmth and then put the ecu in the freezer and see how it acts then ..thanks so much for all your posts

Last edited:

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Electrical stuff....gotta love it. Did you check the wiring harness behind the secondary clutch where it goes behind the delta box? I have heard similar problems to yours from it shorting out there and or in one of those grounding blocks.

yeah i checked them and cut the blocks out and soldered them and every plug in was greased not with dielectric grease but regular grease it seemed to always work for me ...i actually have the hole wiring harness out right now with the tape all taken off..checked every wire almost for continuity .they have these ground blocks on hot wires too ..but i just greased them..yamaha likes to stack alot of wires together from one big wire to a thousand little ones... i will be putting an extra ground or two on ..and i have NOOOOOOOO CLUE why the two most important electrical components are at the bottom of the sled where all the snow and water collects ..i've fixed these images as well

IMAG0169.jpg t_dscf2723_164.jpg

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
yes i think this what i'm going to have to do ..runs good when its warm out or if its been in a garage...i've greased all the plug ins on the sled all of them ..i'd believe or do what code 20 told me to do if it wasn't for sometimes the lights don't work sometimes the fuel pump won't cycle till i flip the key a few time ..computers on a snowmobile make a guy wanna buy some carbs ...i've cleaned all the hoses that i could find too..i think i'll see if it will run today in the warmth and then put the ecu in the freezer and see how it acts then ..thanks so much for all your posts

He was having what sounds like the same problem , he got a stock fuel pump from me first ( because he was cutting out ) , the pump was not the problem , he did all the checking , wire , connectors , sensor etc , then was told it was the ECU gliching . So i sent him a stock ECU to try and pay if it fixed the problem , if not just send it back , a guy can waste alot of $$$ trying to track this kind of stuff down.

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Wow..ya seems like you have covered all the basic stuff and makes sense to try the ECU. Best of luck and I will be curious to hear what you find out.

He was having what sounds like the same problem , he got a stock fuel pump from me first ( because he was cutting out ) , the pump was not the problem , he did all the checking , wire , connectors , sensor etc , then was told it was the ECU gliching . So i sent him a stock ECU to try and pay if it fixed the problem , if not just send it back , a guy can waste alot of $$$ trying to track this kind of stuff down.

yeah you are right you can waist allot of dollars ..but still i think its better then sending it to yamaha at whatever dollars an hour..i ordered one off of evil bay for 250 with a set of plugs cr10 somethings ..they say they are better..my plugs are just as nice and brown but its time to change them i think while i got all this stuff off...i haven't replaced any sensors ..i wish i had a neighbor like your to lend a ecu and fuel pumps....even the hand warmers were acting funny so i figure all these problems have wiring and ecu in common ..i checked the wireing ....or it could be all kinds of different problems ..i don't know..almost gives me a pannic attack this sled was so awesome since fall of 07 never put nothing but gas and runners on it and a few oil changes ..
tottaly yamaha is more popular but this site is miles ahead for some help ..if your not signed up as pro or whatever they won't respond ..how in the heck to you upload a avatar on there anyway

well i received my ecu today from ebay ..was fixing up the wiring harness while i had the chance and found some burnt wires ..ground wires that went to little plastic an aluminum ground blocks ...they got some hot hopefully all these things , new to me ecu , new plugs , clean pipes in the air box , soldered and fixed wiring harness ..will fix my codes and running bad ...hopefully ..the wire on the right is the bad one i just put the other one to show the difference

IMAG0213.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features