• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

California OHV survey

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The following trailheads are part of the Winter Trailhead System. In a typical season, estimate the percentage of your time spent at the following trailheads. (The sum of the percentages must add to 100% across all trailheads

In the last two winter seasons did you snowmobile out of state?

In a typical season, how many times do you snowmobile?

In addition to snowmobiling, what other winter recreation activities have you enjoyed doing at the above trailheads during the past two winter seasons? Please check all that apply.

While participating in motorized recreation, at what distance from the trailhead do you typically stop encountering non-motorized winter recreationists?

In the last 2 winter seasons, please estimate the percentage of time you spent doing the following types of snowmobile riding (The sum of the percentages of all 6 items below must add to 100%).

How do you transport your snowmobile to the trailhead?

When transporting your snowmobile, what type of vehicle are you using?

How satisfied are you with the following items in California?

How could your opportunity and/or experience be improved during your visits to the Winter Trailhead System?

Would you be interested in multi-day/overnight snowmobile touring opportunities where lodging facilities and supplies are provided along the way

Are you involved in any snowmobile clubs? Name the clubs.

Do you volunteer in any capacity at snowmobile areas (e.g. snowmobile trail patrol, snow cat operator, participate in clean-up days, etc)?

In what capacity do you get involved to protect snowmobile opportunities in California?

What do you perceive as California State Parks OHMVRD’s role in providing OSV (Over Snow Vehicle) recreation in California?

Where do you get information about OSV recreation opportunities?

Have you ever taken a formal OSV safety course?

Have you ever taken a winter awareness/survival course?

While recreating at any of the above trailheads, have you ever received an injury that required emergency medical services ( i.e. care from a medical professional or a visit to the hospital)?

The following issues have been identified as threats or potential threats to OSV recreation in California. Of these issues, please rank the following from 1 – Greatest threat to 5 – Least threat (Only one row can be filled out for each threat).

Who do you ride with when you snowmobile? Complete the following statement by clicking never, sometimes, or always for each item (participants will scroll down and pick one choice).

Will edit ... gotta go

Jeepbuff

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Over Snow survey

Here is some additional info from my communication with the requestor and CSNA.

Vance

-------------------

Subject: Winter Trailhead Study
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:02:46 -0800

To: 'Carl Cappelen'

Hi Carl:

I coordinate the Winter Trailhead Study for the OHMVR Division and perhaps I can provide an explanation for the intent of the study that you could disseminate to your list serve to help with our response rate. I will also address some of the issues presented on your email thread.

Thanks,

Jared

Note to CNSA’s List Serve

The OHMVR Division is conducting a study to assess the prevalence of over-snow vehicle (OSV) recreation in CA as it applies to trailheads that are supported through a contract agreement between CA State Parks, CalTrans, CHP, and other organizations/agencies. This is a proactive effort to ascertain information to support these recreational activities as both an economic engine to local communities and a recreational pursuit for the public. As most OHV recreationists are aware, their preferred recreational opportunities face threats from many sides, i.e. legislatively, politically, by interests groups, as well as by the OHV community sabotaging themselves!

In the face of these threats, the Division partnered with California State University Sacramento, to develop a 5-year study to gather sound, defensible data that can be used to guide management decisions, funding, infrastructure improvements, etc. In addition, this data is important to present a case when challenged by outside influences. Yes, in the interest of government transparency and best management practices, there is a likelihood that some study conclusions could impact certain riding areas resulting in criticism from the OSV community; however, when looking to the future and at the big picture, these flaws in the program would be discovered and exploited anyway.

On a personal note, I’m a snowmobile instructor, dirt bike rider, backpacker, wheeler, fisherman, etc. I enjoy outdoor pursuits as much as anyone on CNSA’s email list. I came to the Division first and foremost as an OHV enthusiast. This project is in the best interest of the OHV community in sustaining opportunity, the environment, communities near trailheads, etc. By coordinating this survey, I’m giving my supervisors the data they need to make informed decisions. By completing this survey, you, the enthusiast, have the opportunity to voice your opinion, share your recreating preferences, and essentially provide input to better guide where and how your green sticker and gas tax dollars are spent.

Email Thread Issues

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1. <!--[endif]-->There was a glitch identified in entering ‘SLED’ vs. ‘sled’ on the online prompt. The mailer card says ‘SLED####’ and the survey prompt has been fixed to only accept ‘SLED####’.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2. <!--[endif]-->DMV did not sell your addresses. DMV provided the addresses to the Division under an agreement under specific circumstances that limits the use of the addresses for the intended purpose of this study. DMV is very protective of this type of information.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3. <!--[endif]-->California State Parks’ Winter Recreation Program consists of two components, the Over-Snow Vehicle Program and the SNO-PARK Program. SNO-PARKs were set-up legislatively to provide safe areas primarily for non-motorized snowplay adjacent to main highways. As you are well aware, people pull over just about anywhere to play in the snow. There was concern that this would present a significant threat to public safety if areas were not set aside for this pursuit. The SNO-PARK Program requires a permit because it is a visitor supported program. Fortunately, for OSV enthusiasts, some of these SNO-PARK sites allow OSV access. These dual-purpose sites are the only ones who receive funding from the OHV trust fund. For more information about SNO-PARKs, please visit: ohv.parks.ca.gov/snoparks/

<!--[if !supportLists]-->4. <!--[endif]-->In survey research, providing incentives for filling out a survey has been shown to vastly increase response rate. The ability to provide an incentive for this survey was very limited, but a SNO-PARK Permit was an option. Although, most of you probably do not frequent SNO-PARKs, something is better than nothing. Perhaps as a gesture of goodwill, you could provide the permit to a non-motorized recreationist that you encounter on trails specifically funded for the primary purpose of OSV recreation.

Jared Zucker

California State Parks

Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division

-------------------------------------------------------------

CNSA,

I have been communicating with Beth regarding some technical/clarification issues on the Over Snow Survey.

Here is an introduction,

Vance
------------------------------------
Hi Vance, I am not a part of this listserve. Would you mind posting this on my behalf?

Hello to all who received the postcard to fill out the California Snowmobile Survey,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Beth Erickson and I can be reached at erickson@csus.edu. California State Parks and Sacramento State have partnered to create and send out this survey to you. The motive for the survey is that California State Parks wants to be able to better serve the users of the snowmobile trails. We are very earnest and sincere in our attempts. If you have trouble getting to the site, you might try to type in californiasnowmobilesurvey.com without typing the www. When you get to the username and password, be sure that the SLED is in all caps. Unfortunately, it is case sensitive because the computer program that is being used...just is. We thank you in advance for your input. We truly want to help you have a positive, safe and fun adventure when on the trails.

Best,

Beth

Beth Erickson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Sacramento State University
Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Administration
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819
916-278-2816
------------------------------------------

Hope this has answered all your questions and concerns.

Carl,
CNSA webmaster

C

CA-Catman

Nov 19, 2002
Burney ,CA.
On a personal note, I’m a snowmobile instructor

Jarred,

Really, would you like to give us a response to your quote ??

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the posts jeep and don.

I got the card too but haven't filled out the survey yet. It does sound like they just want some information.......the question about distance within which you stop encountering non sledders reveals a little of the potential backing. But this is a good place to stress that once past a few miles from a trail head, they each become different worlds. And since sledders in general are really good at keeping quiet and not letting their voices be heard.........FILL THIS THING OUT!!!!!

This is one step in getting the state of CA to recognize that sledders travel, stay in hotels, patronize local businesses and are a part of a contributing community.

You know d@mn well all the spandex sportin xc skiers who give you looks when you pass them freely give up their opinions.

Last edited:

snomoride

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2009
Sierra Village Ca.
OHV survey

Beth will all OVS users get the Survey? Been riding since 1993 and this is good idea, Just hope it goes inare favor, We as an Offroad community have giving up lots for years. So I hope this does something for us . Not to throw stones but as stated above XC Skiers have voiced there opions for a log time and have been heard thats for sure. So it's our turn . I hope I get mine soon. Yes everyone fill it out it's got to help!! I hope!!!!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Just submitted mine. Mostly pretty well constructed questions. Two of which were asking for estimates of how much you spend in communities when you visit or pass through to ride. Really good to see that (not listed in Don's summary but they're there). A few text boxes where you can elaborate on what you feel is the California state park's role in snowmobiling as a recreational activity. I made a point to stress that 1)We pay a lot of money to sled in this state and 2) Plowed parking lots, grooming, space to park are all very much appreciated but it's the access itself that's becoming the biggest issue. Another long form question was there about the interest in trailside lodging. I wasn't sure if this was in a guided context or more along the lines of backcountry ski huts that are accessed by snowmobiles. Either way it would be sweet to have hut or lodging facilities out in some of these places. Other states do it and it would be utilized well here I think.

Anyway.........if you got one definitely fill it out. It's good to see them asking these things.

Last edited:
Premium Features