• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Sway Bar, remove?

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
Had a buddy over looking at the new Dragon, and in typical form, wanted to compare and point out that the 07 was not that old, or different. We were looking at the front suspension and the old sled didn’t have a sway bar!! I knew I didn’t take it off and that it was sposta’ be there, so I looked and the front left bar is missing with a real clean break right at the attachment near the belly. We thought that is a pretty thick bar, I should have felt that one… then I remember hitting a buried tree after the first big powder day and having sudden stoppage. I did the superman about 10 feet in the air and there was a group of sleds across the valley watching so I didn’t stick around to check the sled.

Anyway, I must have ridden the majority of the season without the front left sway bar. I did notice and thought the shocks were fading because I cranked the springs up. Apparently the right half provides some support because the sled wasn’t handling bad.

Should I replace, or just take the whole thing off? If I want to take it off what will I need to do to compensate?

By the way this will be a backup sled/crappy snow condition sled.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
There's those that say that taking out the swaybar on the IQRaw chassis is the worst thing they ever did. It helps on the stability and shock absorbing, but it is so easy to turn over when needed.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The swaybar only hooks to the 2 a-arms. It is not hooked to the bulkhead at all. It is just a straight piece of bar running through those plastic holes you see on the side of the bulkhead. All that to say, even though it is still hooked up on one side, it is serving absolutely no function right now as it sits. That is how it will act without any swaybar. If that is acceptable to you, pull the a-arm off the side that still has the sway bar hooked to it, and then slide the remainder of your swaybar out of the bulkhead and put your a-arm back on.

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
I took mine out this year. I've ridden twice, and is seems to be a similar experience as to when i removed the sway bar on my 2000 RMK. That sort of independent feeling on the trail, and alot easier to lay over in the pow. The one thing i noticed when carving, that the sled is not so fast to whip back to the opposite side when comming out of a hard carve. It may not be for every rider, but for now i am going to stick with it.

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
I'll take it off and try it. If Washington gets some snow!!! I'm just worried about letting inexperienced riders ride it; might be a good excuse to have them ride the wife's sled:cool:

I do notice with this sled that it does not like to roll hard and does "snap back" too easy when you don't want it too.

The short ride on the Dragon (in the dirt through the yard and into the garage:() seemed more responsive to rider input (my fat *** hanging to one side or the other:eek:)

Thanks guys, I’ll update after test.

L
Nov 30, 2007
There are a few threads on here that talk about this. My Dragon that a got a few months ago didn't have one, but 99% of the people on here day its best to have it in! If you take it out, you need to get better shocks. So I'm going have one put back in......

Premium Features